MA for Carl

MA for Carl

Postby Carl R » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks! :)
Carl R

Re: MA for Carl

Postby Carl R » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Here's some videos from today. Some other skis and slopes.

R>21 GS

R>21 GS

R11 SL

Rossignol Bandit B1
Carl R

Postby jclayton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:11 am

Hi Carl ,
in the first videos you are a bit hard to see but I think I see a bit of hip dumping to get angles instead of tipping , the tipping is a bit static , it doesn't continue increasing to the end ( video 1 - 0.17 ). You are working on CA but again it doesn't look progressive , it is set before the fall line and stays there .

There seems to be more of an up move rather than retraction ( video 1 at 0.16 video 2 at 0.11 ) and resulting in an abrupt change to the new edges and a push . If you look closely at 0.16 you change to the new edges with straight legs . The push can be seen at 0.12 video 2 , contact with the snow is lost then a push well before the fall line . Then the angle of tip is established and just held , riding the rails .

In the slalom turns your tipping looks more dynamic but there is still the up move ( video 3 - 0.07 )

Video 5 - 0.10 , weight on inside ski , leaning into the turn . Generally there is too much horizontal separation . the last turn at 0.21 has more retraction than any of the other turns so far .

There is a good current thread with comments by Helluva on progressive edging and angles .

Your avatar looks good but the way you get into and out of that position is more important .

Dynamic skiing by the way .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby milesb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:34 pm

I think you are trying to impress us, but if you focus on the correct movements you will have more success.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby jclayton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Carl ,
I think a great exercise for you would be the PMTS javelin . You do have the co-ordination and balance .

Then , as one of todays posters did , spend four days doing tipping exercises .
jclayton

Postby BigE » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 am

Your feet are MUCH too wide apart, and the weight is not 100% outside ski. First step is to narrow your stance, and learn tipping.

Try to hold a car wash sponge between your ankles when you ski, Green only, then on to blue.

As your tipping skills and flexing develop, you'll be able to do it better.
BigE

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:22 pm

in the first videos you are a bit hard to see but I think I see a bit of hip dumping to get angles instead of tipping , the tipping is a bit static , it doesn't continue increasing to the end ( video 1 - 0.17 ). You are working on CA but again it doesn't look progressive , it is set before the fall line and stays there .

Carl, i agree with JcLayton, Hip dumping is your biggest obstacle to progress. You were able to get big angle but not the PMTS way as a result that your turn are not progressive and you end up occasionnally with too much weight on the inside ski. It produce wide stance by default. Hip dumping is typical with youg racer but honestly i am not sure how you can get rid of it. I guess you"ve learned to do it when you were young. Phantom move, SuperPhantom move and all the progression from book one and two will certainly help.
jepoupatout

Postby jclayton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 am

Speaking from personal experience , speed is fun , developing angles at speed is fun . The feeling of power as you push against a loaded ski is fun .

BUT , it can hide basic faults due to a lack of bodily awareness, relying on centrifugal ( or centripetal ?? ) forces and momentum . Ski as slow as possible starting with basics , lack of one footed balance is immediately noticed .

Angles are a means to an end , not an end in themselves . ( In PMTS that is )
jclayton

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 am

You carve better than the vast majority of people on a steep black. I don't think everyone realized how steep that run is.
Anyway, I think the single most important move would be to have a more aggresive flexing into the transition.
Matt

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 am

Steep pitch showed all the time better than anything else our weakness. Tthat's very good that Carl decided to be film in a steep pich it left no place to interpretation and at least he knows where to focus is energy now.
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 am

Carl, what do you think about when making the turns in the video below?

Carl R wrote:

Thanks! :)
Max_501

Postby jclayton » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Steep piches show up default mechanisms . A good release here would result in the knees into the chest .
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm

jclayton wrote:A good release here would result in the knees into the chest .

Why?
Max_501

Postby jclayton » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

At the speed Carl is skiing in an edge locked carve and the steepness I would say that without a large ROM on flexion to absorb the forces one would be thrown out of control . AKA a Helluva release !
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:01 pm

jclayton wrote:At the speed Carl is skiing in an edge locked carve and the steepness I would say that without a large ROM on flexion to absorb the forces one would be thrown out of control . AKA a Helluva release !

Heluva release is not caused by range of flexion.

NOTE - we don't flex to absorb the forces, we use those forces for the new turn!
Max_501

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video