MA for Idahorob

MA for Idahorob

Postby idahorob » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 pm

I'd appreciate your perception of my reality :) . Been a long time since I found someone who could take useable video.

I'm not sure how to embed the video, but I'll try this: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5DhKLj5BQ&feature=plcp&context=C43e39f1VDvjVQa1PpcFNx7l7ZTLCdsyzxZpEmg_2BcBI_4HllPrc%3D[/youtube]
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Re: MA for Idahorob

Postby idahorob » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Well, that embed try didn't seem to work. Sorry about that - looks like cut and paste is necessary.
idahorob

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby SkierSynergy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 pm

On the longer turns, there is a point in each turn when the inside leg stops flexing you start to get weight on the inside leg and the tipping stops increasing. That's when you start to drift and be more two footed. Part of it is that there is not enough couterbalance up to that point.

I would start with this.
If you continue to increase the inside leg flexion, then you will have more transfer to the stance leg and better grip. This will also make it easier to keep the tipping going. These movements will develop even more grip. However, If that happens, you will have to up your counterbalance/ counteracting game though.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:10 am

Jay's MA is spot (and of course that's not surprising).

Also note that the spray off your skis never comes from anywhere forward of your ski boots. The tips are never really getting engaged in any of your turns in that video. Concentrate on more foot pull back at the transitions to put you in a better position as you move into the high-C portion of each turn. A strong and complete flex to release needs to be immediately accompanied with the pull back and the tipping to your new edges (while your skis are under your hips). IMO, excellent PMTS turns are all about the setup for the new turn as you move through the transition. Get the RTE right and the improved performance from your skis will put a big smile on your face. Harald recently posted some still shots of his transitions on his blog and commented that you're not going to achieve the beautiful high edge angle carving that you see in his skiing without focusing on the transitions.

I know that you've come a long way and have been working hard at improving your skiing. Keep posting video (although I know the season is soon coming to a close).
HighAngles

Postby idahorob » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Right on, guys! Thanks for being so clear. When I got home after that videoing we had company and I only had time to glance at the clips to transfer them to my computer. Even from that the flexion/extension looked inadequate, which was not really a surprise. It occurred to me that the power release drills would address this, but I've done a lot of those and can never keep the stance leg long, free leg short and narrow my stance when I move into the long leg/short leg part of the sequence ("Essentials" video, Flexing and Fore/Aft Balance). In my momentary pessimism I thought maybe those drills just don't work for me or there is something missing I just can't find. The next time I had a moment to think about it, though, I decided to go back to those drills the next time up, which was two days later, and try to be surprised. One strategy was to do the entire sequence, starting with single arcs and when the time came to move to long leg/short leg, to narrow the stance only an inch at a time and see if I could bring the increased flexion with me.

I knew that when I have tried to get more angles and flex the free leg a couple of things usually happened: if my stance stayed narrow, both legs stayed flexed almost the same amount and I was in a crouch. Or my stance widened and there I was weighted on two feet.

I think I made some progress in this yesterday, but it's hard to tell. One thing I discovered was it seemed important to flex the new free leg immediately with the new turn initiation. That seemed much better than letting the flex develop gradually. And, I tried to stick that knee into my arm pit.

I worked on that for about 2 1/2 hours then took a lunch break. Didn't get to do much practice with it after lunch because the temperature raised with a change in the wind and the snow (man, I hate spring) got really sticky and lumped up. It needed short turns and making longer turns was too bumpy for me to feel much of what I was doing. The weather was to crappy for video, so I don't know how successful my study was.

We only have a week left of the season here, so I don't know how much I'll get to work on this, or anything else.

Do you have any suggestions of other ways to work on my problem? I sent you an email, Jay, inquiring about private lessons next season. Maybe that would be one way to approach it.

Thanks again, guys.
idahorob

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Robert, sounds like you are looking for a plan of attack. The following is probably too much at once but I know you are super analytical, so here is one approach to consider.

Do a bunch fo CB/CA drills. Confirm that you are including your hips in the CB/CA movements. Follow up with some drills really exaggerating flexing (confirm you are getting knees to 90 degrees) and inside foot tipping (remember the O-Frame and don't stop tipping that inside foot). Then do the power release drill and really work flexing that inside leg up as high as you can (remember to continue tipping the inside foot) while balancing over the outside ski (lots of CB/CA needed). At the end of each turn allow the outside ski to track back to the inside ski to close the horizontal distance that is created. Next do some flappers (if I recall correctly that is your favorite drill) to remind yourself of how much effort is needed to pull the feet back. One more. Have you done the inside ski tap drill? In this drill you make medium/large arcs with all the normal movements, but you tap the inside ski on the snow using a small lift and tip and then putting it back down (remember to keep tipping the inside foot). This is a good test to see if you are keeping your weight over the outside ski (and it has a bonus of getting the skier to increase inside leg flexing as they lift the ski off the snow). If you pass this drill you are allowed to continue. If not go back to the CB/CA drills. Be honest with your evaluation. Don't continue unless you can maintain balance over the outside ski.

Once you have passed its time to make some medium size carved arcs but this time release the turn quicker than in the video, with less traversing across the hill. Quick flex to release (don't be timid - suck those legs up like there is a big bump you've got to absorb), tip the inside foot like crazy (while holding the flex) and CB to counter the tipping, pull those skis back hard, keep flexing and tipping the inside leg/foot, add CB to counter the tipping, let the outside leg get long naturally as you add CA and the inside hip moves close to the snow (don't push off the outside foot). Remember, the more you tip the more CB you will need to stay balanced over the outside ski. You can test your CB from time to time by lifting the inside ski. If you can't lift the ski you have moved too much balance to the inside.

Note - don't try to "get more angles". Instead let them come to you. The PMTS serves as big angle bait. If you put proper PMTS movements out there, all nice and pretty, you'll catch big arse angles. Both jbotti and I have been shocked at the big angles we've seen on video which occurred when working on flexing and tipping, without any thought towards big angles.
Last edited by Max_501 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby idahorob » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:49 am

Thank you, Max. I appreciate the plan of attack. To say, "add more flexion" accurately describes what's needed, but having concrete steps to acquire the movement is what really helps. That's one of the beauties of PMTS to me -- the curriculum that produces results. Otherwise, you could just take a skier and say, "do all the essentials" and they'd be set. That statement is correct, no doubt, but it lacks the means to learn.

I'm printing your advice and will tuck it behind the front cover of my "Essentials" book for next season. I'll be lucky to get more than one day the rest of this year. This week Brundage Mountain, a couple of hours drive north of here, is offering free skiing. Can't beat that deal. Just check in and they give a lift ticket.
idahorob

Postby oggy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:53 am

Keeping a narrower stance while trying to tip and flex hard in edge-locked carved turns is also something I've been struggling with (I'll actually post a video shortly), in my cased probably aggravated by years of trying to widen my stance as per traditional instruction (sigh). What I find helpful is taking the advice from Essentials about lifting the edges to tip (p.41) to the extreme. Basically, the mental image of tipping that I use in these turns is trying to move the free foot in such a way that its big-toe edge and base touch my stance foot knee. This helps me get (or get closer to, at any rate) all three at the same time, tipping & flexing and keeping my stance in check.
oggy

Postby idahorob » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Can someone explain how to embed videos and photos in these posts. I've checked the FAQs and doing what I thought they said, nothing posted when I previewed the post. I know this is simple stuff once you know how to do it, but HELP!
idahorob

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:28 am

idahorob wrote:Can someone explain how to embed videos and photos in these posts. I've checked the FAQs and doing what I thought they said, nothing posted when I previewed the post. I know this is simple stuff once you know how to do it, but HELP!

Remove "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" and also feature and context query parameters are not needed.
Matt

Postby idahorob » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks, Matt. I tried what you said, but it still doesn't seem to work. Actually, after putting the video information in a draft post, I just hit "preview" because I didn't want to clutter up the thread. Maybe it won't work until I sumbit it?

And how about posting photos? Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks
idahorob

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 am

First, make sure you have the youtube URL without extra parameters added. In your case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5DhKLj5BQ

Take the last part of this, lP5DhKLj5BQ

Press the youtube button in the posting window and insert lP5DhKLj5BQ between:

[youtube]lP5DhKLj5BQ[/youtube]

Then you will see:
Matt

Postby Hobbit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 pm

idahorob wrote:I'm not sure how to embed the video, but I'll try this: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5DhKLj5BQ&feature=plcp&context=C43e39f1VDvjVQa1PpcFNx7l7ZTLCdsyzxZpEmg_2BcBI_4HllPrc%3D[/youtube]

Also please see the first "sticky" post on the top of this forum.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby idahorob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 am

Ok, that works. My problem was that I included the "&" just before the word "feature." Now, I'll try to remember that next time there's a video to post, which won't be until next year.

I was going to post a photo from a frame capture with a question about the spray from my skis, but since tomorrow is my last day this season it's not worth trying to figure out how to use some hosting site.

Thanks for bearing with me. Here's to happy closing days for all of us for this season!
idahorob

Return to Movement Analysis and Video