MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

Re: MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am

I've bought those skis 2 weeks ago and all my drills and free ski went easier . Good technic with the right ski always makes a big difference. That ski is so easy to turn, after the first turn i felt the difference. Here is the comment of the tester:

Völkl Racetiger SL Speedwall
Mark: excellent Average: 41,1

Tester's opinion:
Handling characteristics are the main reason for the excellent marks the Völkl Racetiger got, on icy as well as on soft/wet slopes. The overall very good marks are a certificate for the easy handling of this model with short as well as long turn swings at a medium to high speed level. In addition the general effort for handling this wonderful model is quite low. Our tip: just buy it!

Data: Details:
Tested length: 165 cm Long turn: 8,2
Radius: 13,1 m Short turn: 8,6
Sidecut: 117-66-98, 120-66-101 Edge grip: 8,3
Recommended Retail Price (€): 789,95 incl. binding Balance: 7,9
General effort: 8,2
jepoupatout

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Jepoupatout ,
I found those skis a bit heavy going . What did you ski on before ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Jclayton, here what i had for the last 4 years after i decided to do a come back to ski after a break of 18 years. I didn't know at that time what to chose so i pick what the salesman proposed to me:

Rossignol Classic CS70
165 Cm long with 12 radius
124-70-112

Compare to my Voïkl
165 cm long with a radius 13.1 m
101-66-120

Honestly, i am a better skier on those ski, i will not get a video before next year because i ended my ski season last weekend but for sure my turn are tighter, i have more rebound and more grip. I don't fight as much to tip and i've reduced the up extension in my short turn. It's interesting , the radius is longer on paper but on snow i carved a tighter turn compare to the Rossignol.
jepoupatout

Postby federico » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 am

Volkl are better after you've used them for a while, at the beginning they
feel heavy and rigid then the more you use them the more they become
progressive in their action.

Even in WC Deville, who skies Volkl, in SL likes to use a pair only after it's skied intensivly
till he begins to feel them "soft", then an agressive set up (0°tuning, 86°(!)side)
and they are ready for the race!

So Jepoupatout you'll feel them even better next season!

Ciao, Federico.

p.s. Hi Jeremy, see you in Tux!
MAIORA VIRIBUS AUDERE
federico

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 am

jepoupatout wrote:Jclayton, here what i had for the last 4 years after i decided to do a come back to ski after a break of 18 years. I didn't know at that time what to chose so i pick what the salesman proposed to me:

Rossignol Classic CS70
165 Cm long with 12 radius
124-70-112

Compare to my Voïkl
165 cm long with a radius 13.1 m
101-66-120

Honestly, i am a better skier on those ski, i will not get a video before next year because i ended my ski season last weekend but for sure my turn are tighter, i have more rebound and more grip. I don't fight as much to tip and i've reduced the up extension in my short turn. It's interesting , the radius is longer on paper but on snow i carved a tighter turn compare to the Rossignol.

Interesting that you note that. A friend of mine skied the CS70 last season. He is also a PMTS practitioner. By the end of he season we determined that the ski was not condusive to PMTS skiing because the tail had way too much flare. It was impossible for him to time his release properly and his skiing unraveled from there. This season he switched back to race stock SL skis with a notable improvement.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 am

If the CS70 truly has 42mm of tail cut (112-70=42), then that would be a ski that would really want to hold onto the turn and require a very strong release to smoothly link turns. Most race stock SLs are around 30-35mm of tail cut.
HighAngles

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 am

After 4 years of practice with those Rossignol and it is still painfull to turn. However if i compare from my first day of practice with PMTS i did some progress with those ski, the point is that they are very hard to turn and the Voikl are at the opposite so easy.
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 pm

HighAngles wrote:If the CS70 truly has 42mm of tail cut (112-70=42), then that would be a ski that would really want to hold onto the turn and require a very strong release to smoothly link turns.

My older Head Supershape has 41mm of tail cut (107 - 66 = 41).
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Max_501 wrote:
HighAngles wrote:If the CS70 truly has 42mm of tail cut (112-70=42), then that would be a ski that would really want to hold onto the turn and require a very strong release to smoothly link turns.

My older Head Supershape has 41mm of tail cut (107 - 66 = 41).

And even Harald has commented that he prefers the tail release on the Magnum and the Icon TT80. Obviously the flex pattern also plays into this and if you couple a really deep tail cut with a stiff tail then your release requires even more attention. Luckily the original SuperShape didn't have a super demanding tail from a flex perspective.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:15 pm

The characteristics of the ski have more to do with taper angle than tail flare from the waist.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 pm

HighAngles wrote:And even Harald has commented that he prefers the tail release on the Magnum and the Icon TT80.

HH and I prefer the TT80 for bumps and SL runs. But for freeskiing its hard to beat the shape of the SS.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video