MA Taking PMTS into bumps at Welch Village

MA Taking PMTS into bumps at Welch Village

Postby pzotalis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:14 pm

I have been working on PMTS movements for about two seasons and just finished a 2-day clinic with HH this week here at Welch Village in MN. Here I am attempting to take some PMTS movements into groomer made/midwest bumps. Have at me! http://youtu.be/hZWzlFrrFZw
pzotalis

Re: MA Taking PMTS into bumps at Welch Village

Postby jclayton » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 am

Admirable speed control .

You could perhaps try a more direct line where the bumps are not too big , flexing more , knees up to the chest and tip early and carve around the back side of the bump instead of braking against the front side .
In your rhythm you can hear the scrape and push . Just as on the groomed , speed control is obtained at the high C part of the turn .
A more direct line will show up your rear weighted bias also .

Given your control now you could start applying all that stuff Harald has shown you . Push the limits a bit .

Looks a bit wet there .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 am

Nice line and excellent speed control.

Try adding earlier and greater amounts of flexing, tipping, and foot pull back. Work on your absorption/extension range of movement so you can swallow a bump with your legs. Keep the feet close together (horizontal distance). Connect the pelvis to the upper body for stronger CA/CB.

Here's a bump technique thread that might be helpful:

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1460

And here's a list you can use for honing your MA skills (I keep it on my celphone and read it on the lift once in a while.)

Things to consider for MA:

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
Are the feet pulled back at transition?
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
Strong inside arm?
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
Max_501

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Max ,
so many things happen in the bumps and so quickly that it is easy to get confused . For me at least .

What do you thnk would be the best thing for pzotalis to start working on , perhaps break things down into workable units ?

Start just working on retraction over the bump , then extend into the trough , then stop , one by one ?
Then as he gets used to this , start tipping , before you reach the top while fully retracted ?
Then perhaps go back to the groomed and practice the same movements ?

What do you think the best sequence would be ?
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:15 pm

First step would be working on the tfr on groomers. Then some flexing drills. Followed by CA/CB drills and then flappers. Next put them together with nice tight linked bpsts. When that is working I'd move to the bumps. Start with a traversing drill across the bumps, really exaggerating absorption and extension (A&E) timed to suck up each bump. Skis should stay in contact with the snow. After that its time to take the bpst into the bumps. Ski 1 to 2 bumps at time, slowly increasing in number as you get used to the timing of putting all the essentials together.
Max_501

Postby jclayton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:49 am

There you are pzotalis , what more could you ask for .

How about drilling and posting video of results , always good to see progress ? Especially for those of us who don't get the time on the slopes . ( and lack videographer )
jclayton

Postby pzotalis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions for drills. I will get to work before our midwest bumps melt away in the next 1-2 weeks.

It's interesting about watching myself ski these bumps because I felt while I was skiing them that I was constantly pulling back by feet, flexing, tipping, CB and trying to do all of them sooner and sooner with each turn. When I watch the video it doesn't appear that I am doing any of these! The difficult thing about our bumps this time of year is that we only have 2-3 lines in the bumps and because of high traffic those troughs get deep and narrow which makes the skier's margin for error small.
pzotalis

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:09 am

Max,

If you are "swallowing" a bump, where is the speed control? Maybe I misunderstand "swallowing". To me, it means little to no pressure on the bump, hence, no speed control.
BigE

Postby jclayton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:15 pm

I see the swallowing ( retraction over the bump ) part as corresponding to the transition , weight off the ski and simultaneous foot pullback , tip and hiugh C speed control , in a normal groomer BPST .
jclayton

Postby cheesehead » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 am

What I see you consistently doing is as you are turning to the right ("clockwise" as I see it, because turning left/right is confusing for me), your left ski is skidding out on you. When you turn the other way, it looks to me like the inside leg should be flexed more.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby BigE » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:11 pm

jclayton,

So, "swallowing" does not mean no pressure at all on the bump, it means no pressure on TOP, due to flexing.... my world is ok again... Thanks.
BigE

Return to Movement Analysis and Video