Kettlebell swings

Kettlebell swings

Postby rstraker » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Anyone using kettlebell swings for ski fitness?

A couple of seasons ago, to get ready for a Harb ski camp, I worked with a personal trainer at a pricey downtown club and spent 3 months doing a bunch of different exercises, including:

• treadmill work
  • balance ball exercises
  • weight machines and free weights, and
  • various body weight exercises.
And I was in "okay" (not great) shape.

Then last year, other than a little inline skating, I didn't do anything except for intervals of kettlebell swings -- 10 reps, 30-second rest intervals between each set, 5 sets. Took a grand total of 5 minutes (okay, ten with warmup) three times a week. Also 3 months, and was in way better shape for skiing.

There's been lots of research in the last few years about how intervals are the most efficient way to simultaneously build both aerobic and anerobic capacity (eg, Google "Tabata Protocol").

Rick
rstraker

Re: Kettlebell swings

Postby patprof » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Looks like great stuff-thanks!
Pat
"I can't dance and I can't fly-but when I ski I can sometimes do both!"
Author Unknown
patprof

Postby trtaylor » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:55 am

trtaylor

Postby ajax » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:49 am

I use a combination of the Art of Strength Providence workout and P90x to keep in shape. I have not tried the AOS Newport workout but it's a killer. I'm working up to Newport.
ajax

Postby BobH » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Dr Al Sears has a greta book about high intensity/short bust cardio.

He says long duration cardio weakens the heart and shrinks the lungs!!
BobH

Postby cheesehead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 am

Rick, could you tell me what a "kettlebell swing" is? I know what a kettlebell is, but what are you doing with it? Is it one movement, or a set of movements? Thanks. I am looking for anything that is an easy way to get into shape. (Yes, I am incredibly lazy)
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby trtaylor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 am

cheesehead wrote:Rick, could you tell me what a "kettlebell swing" is? I know what a kettlebell is, but what are you doing with it? Is it one movement, or a set of movements? Thanks. I am looking for anything that is an easy way to get into shape. (Yes, I am incredibly lazy)

Use Google. But if you are lazy I wouldn't bother with kettlebell swings. You won't do them correctly and you'll just be wasting your time and money.
trtaylor

Postby cheesehead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:46 pm

[quote="trtaylor]Use Google. But if you are lazy I wouldn't bother with kettlebell swings. You won't do them correctly and you'll just be wasting your time and money.[/quote]

Ok, I meant "difficult to motivate." I am sure I am capable of using them correctly. When I google kettlebell swings it shows swinging it between your legs with 2 hands and then up to shoulder height. Is that what you meant?

Is that one swing enough to get started on this? How heavy a kettlebell should you start with?
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby trtaylor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:59 pm

cheesehead wrote:How heavy a kettlebell should you start with?

First, find an instructor as you are almost sure to swing incorrectly without proper instruction. He/she will guide you from there.
trtaylor

Postby Greeley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Make sure you find a Personal Trainer that knows kettlebells. I am a Personal Trainer & see other trainers in my club teaching swings incorrectly. www.kettlebellinc.com is a good resource with good videos.
Greeley

Postby rstraker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Rick, could you tell me what a "kettlebell swing" is? I know what a kettlebell is, but what are you doing with it? Is it one movement, or a set of movements? Thanks. I am looking for anything that is an easy way to get into shape.

To learn what a kettlebell swing is, check YouTube. To learn how to use them in workouts and learn proper technique, find an RKC-certified instructor and/or get Enter the Kettlebell, by Pavel Tsatsouline -- both the book and the DVD. Like any significant lifting it's critically important to learn and practice correct form so you don't injure yourself.

I like kettlebells because you can get really strong with just 2 or 3 whole-body exercises.
rstraker

Return to Fitness