Blossom Skis - You need to try them!

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Blossom Skis - You need to try them!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I usually don't cross post with Epic, but I posted a review over there of the Blossom Whiteout that many here will likely be interested in. This is a PMTS ski in the true sense of the word. The ski loves to be tipped on edge and carves some really great turns. It has a great taper angle that lets you release really easily, so brushed turns or bumps should be no problem. I've been on them for two days now and I'm loving them. These are truly great skis. I would only recommend them for more accomplished skiers though - due to the width. There are however other offerings from Blossom that I'm excited to try that might be more conducive to a learning skier (ala Supershape).

Yes, got video too. :mrgreen:

Ski: Blossom Whiteout
http://www.blossomski.com/
Length: 176cm
Dimensions: 131-77-111
Radius: 15m Radius
Binding: Mounted with Fischer WC race plates and Head RD16 bindings; tuned at .5/3
Mounting Point: -1cm of BoF @ CRS or +1 of manufacturer’s mid-sole mark

Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 145lbs
Days/Season: 40+; down from 75+
Background: Racer / Competitor

Conditions: I skied these later in the day both Saturday and Sunday once the groomers were tracked up and turned into an inconsistent surface with hard pack broken up by mounds of powder or loose granular.

Video: So you can see how they perform. Pretty mellow turns at 2:30 in the afternoon; the snow surface was pretty rough (watch the tips), and I couldn’t see a thing in the flat light - just let the skis do the work for me. The skis easily skied through everything.

Review:
Thanks to iriponsnow, I am now the proud owner of a pair of Blossom skis. I wanted to get on these now that my beloved Hart skis have seen their better days (Harts are made by Blossom).

Once I got these on snow I was having a blast on them. These skis are just plain fun. They feel like a slalom ski due to the tight radius, but due to the width and soft tip compared to a slalom ski, are MUCH more versatile. The other characteristic that they share with a slalom race ski is edge hold. Boy do these things hold an edge. Blossom has done a superb job of blending flex with unshakable edge hold – a really impressive feat.

The flex and edge hold let this ski slice through pretty much any terrain feature you’ll find on a groomed run. You can ski from hard pack to loose granular to piles of powder and back to hard pack without a care in the world. There is no concern about the ski breaking loose or submarining when you hit loose snow like SL skis too often do. I loved that I could really use the front of the ski and not have to worry about terrain inconsistencies. The other characteristic that I liked was despite not having an aggressive flex, the skis feel very lively and springy under foot - like you're bouncing from turn to turn - but it is manageable - not like a slalom ski that you have to stay on top of all the time.

The best part about this ski is how EASY it is to ski on. The sweet spot is enormous. You could be anywhere over this ski and it is going to make predictable turns for you. It really rewards race-like technique and loves to be on edge. If you love to arc short to medium radius turns and want something that will still make the late afternoon groomers just as much fun as the early morning groomers – this is your ticket. One important note that the racers will appreciate is the taper angle of the ski - it is much like a slalom ski, so it isn't going to hang onto turns like skis with a more aggressive tail - it releases just like a race ski so it will be more versatile than say a Head Titan or similar ski.

I haven’t had them in bumps, powder, or crud yet, but I have no reason to believe that they wouldn’t handle variable terrain extremely well. The size of the tip and the softer flex will make this a winner on most any terrain. I actually skied a brush SL course on them and they made the turns just fine – pretty impressive for a ski this size.

Overall, this ski is a winner if you’re looking for a short-turning all-mountain ski that rewards race technique and/or carving addicts. I see myself spending A LOT of time on these skis this year. They are just plain FUN.

…Now to get my hands on a 180cm Blossom Windshear!

Pros:
Easy to ski, short turn radius, predictable, great edge hold, loves to be on edge, completely owns groomed terrain any time of the day, despite it's mellow temperment it has a lot of horsepower under the hood if you know how to call on it; they look awesome - had to say it...

Cons:
Probably has a speed limit in long turns, won’t be super stable in long turns, heavier skiers, skiers who prefer to muscle their skis, or skiers who do not use race-like technique may not enjoy the ski; width could be an issue for skiers who are not adept at putting their skis on edge - so not likely the most ideal "learning" tool
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: Blossom Skis - You need to try them!

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:54 pm

How do they compare to the Head IM78/Peak 78 and the Kastle MX78?
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Max_501 wrote:How do they compare to the Head IM78/Peak 78 and the Kastle MX78?

Not skied the Kastle but they are better than the IM78 in every way. They have better edge grip, turn tighter, more lively... Only place they might give something up to the IM78 is a GS like turn. IMO the flex pattern on these is way better than the head.

HeluvaSkier

Postby marsound » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Rumor has it these are the same as the vist crossover 2. Guessing the blossom brand is cheaper (cost-wise).
marsound

Postby HighAngles » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Nice skiing in the video. I was really intrigued by the skis when I saw your FB post and now I'm really interested in finding a pair. You mentioned iriponsnow in your Epic post. Does he have a connection or did you buy them from him directly?
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm

HighAngles wrote:Nice skiing in the video. I was really intrigued by the skis when I saw your FB post and now I'm really interested in finding a pair. You mentioned iriponsnow in your Epic post. Does he have a connection or did you buy them from him directly?

He is the new US distributor. To get on a pair you'd have to contact him directly.

HeluvaSkier

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:17 pm

That's not a dolphin turn, that's an ORCA turn past the camera. That skiing does not hurt my eyes!
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby marsound » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:26 pm

tuned at .5/3

is that the factory tune?
marsound

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 pm

marsound wrote:
tuned at .5/3

is that the factory tune?

I set the side edge to 3. I think it came at 2. I didn't touch the base.

HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 pm

BTW, I have never found a ski co with less available information. I have tried to go to their website 10 times over the past 2 years and I have yet to get anything but a blank page. Last night I finally found a site (unrelated to Blossom) that had a cataolgue that was downloadable. Someone should tell Iriponsnow that if they want to sell some skis here they should get a working website!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby marsound » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 pm

This worked for me: http://www.blossomski.com/
marsound

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Yeah, just realized that I was always on my Ipad. Works fine on my PC.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby federico » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:25 pm

If you have the opportunity you must absolutely test their GS.

If contacted they can even realize customized skis with your own specifications,
little factory, more an artisan shop with very skilled people working, old workers
are the same who made Gustavo Thoeni's Persenico at the time.

Racers who tested them didn't come back, sort of Dodge boots effect.
MAIORA VIRIBUS AUDERE
federico

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 pm

How do they compare to the ole' Hart pulse?? Fairly similar dimension and turn radii, and I guess similar construction? I always though the Hart pulse was wonderful frontside/ bump ski. Liked the Phoenix as well.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

It has a very similar feel to the Pulse, although I think it may be softer. I think the Pulse is more versatile. I'd like to replace my Pulse with a Blossom Windshear.

HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Gear