emakarios ma

emakarios ma

Postby emakarios » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:48 pm

At Welch Village, MN on 12/28/11. My focus of late has been counterbalancing and counteracting (lots of laps on the beginner hill with the hipometer!). Have at me.http://youtu.be/tBL3QAuI188
emakarios

Re: emakarios ma

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 pm

We cannot watch the video, it is private..
jepoupatout

Postby emakarios » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:24 pm

sorry! I just changed the setting on YouTube to public.
emakarios

Postby emakarios » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:57 am

Here's a PM response from a fellow PMTS student, which he prefers remain anonymous. I would appreciate any feedback from others as well.

"I'm not a PMTS instructor, but since no one has responded here are a few observations. Try them on for size and discard them if they don't seem to fit the facts that you know.

Look at your first highly zoomed turn at 0:07 in slow motion (or by repeatedly pressing stop) You start with a nice O-frame and then wham! the big toe kicks in with double the tipping angle of the little toe and a short-lived wedge. The seeds of this are in the quick up move prior to the O-frame. The old inside leg continues extending to make the wedge. (The up move happens at 0:05 too.)

Moving on to another close up view, at 0:18 you don't extend, but you don't continue to flex through the transition either. The upshot is that you hold onto the old big toe edge too long. Since you're hesitant to release it, your body takes the same solution as before and starts to put the new stance ski on the big toe edge by flattening and pushing. And similarly at 0:21.

Whenever one's feet flare apart at transition, there isn't an effective release. The two big ticket items for you are 1) releasing by untipping and flexing and 2) early counterbalance in the new turn ... this starts as you begin to flex and untip in the previous turn. See Monsterman's signature quote from the Essentials book ("Counterbalaning movements for an upcoming turn need to start while you are still on the previous edges, as you start to flatten the skis. If you wait until you are on your new edges before you counterbalance, it's too late." H.H.) My suspicion is that starting CB for the new turn earlier will improve your balance in transition and give your body the confidence to release correctly since you show the elements of it in some turns. Your single most important move is probably early CB especially CB to the left on at the beginning of turns to the right.

BTW, you can work on both CB and blocking the up move at the same time with pole drag exercises or boot touch exercises."
emakarios

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:29 am

Hi Emakarios, he is my MA:
When you turn to the right , too much pivot and BTE and when you turn to the left you lack of CA.
For you , you definitively need to work on your tipping drill and flexing.
The tuck turn to eliminate the pivot ,reduce the BTE and add some CA will help also.
jepoupatout

Postby emakarios » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Good input,thanks. I know HH is at the superblue camp this week. I am hoping to get input from him and Max501 on the SMIM. Feedback from others welcome too!
emakarios

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Set aside the upper body movements for a while and concentrate on your feet.
--Do nothing except balance with the rest of your body while you tip the free foot, and smoothly and progressively tip it more and more and more and more and... This is critical. You must increase the tipping through the turn to handle the higher forces in the bottom of the turn. Practice until the increased tipping becomes automatic. The rate of increased tipping increases as you make tighter turns.
--Tip and flex the inside leg. Flex more and more as the turn progresses. Flex the inside leg until the tail of the ski is an inch or two off the snow while the tip remains on the snow.
--When you're ready to turn the other way, switch feet. Lift the old outside foot off the snow as you strongly tip that foot into the new turn. At this point both knees are bent. Allow the new outside leg to lengthen. Periodically shift your attention to your outside big toe. If you find yourself putting pressure on the big toe, stop it! Zero big toe pressure. Listen to the different sound your skis make for a well carved turn vs. a turn when you push your heels out. When you hear the heel push, think about why you did that and how you did it. Don't do it any more.
--Pull the inside foot strongly back all the time. This is like adding power steering to the turn. Do one thing at a time---tip and tip more and more and more. Then do two things---tip more and more and flex more and more. When these are automatic after several hundred repetitions, add the inside foot strong constant pullback. Repeat these three movements until you've got them solid, then increase the challenge of the terrain and continue with the correct movements.

Now, you're ready to learn upper body movements. The counterbalance is already there when you can lift the inside ski off the snow at any point in any turn. For the counteracting, I prefer to push my inside hip forward while I pull that foot back. Arms & poles---arms out in the natural balancing position. The pole tap is just a twitch of the wrist.

There is a lot right with your skiing. At some points it is informative to return to the basics and check that you've got them just right. Refining and emphasizing the basics will give a big boost to your skiing.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby emakarios » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:58 pm

thanks for the input. Since I posted the video, I have focused on the Super Phantom move: it seems that I have a habit of straightening my new outside leg right after I transfer my weight to it while it is still on the little toe edge. I have been practicing bending this leg as I weight the little toe edge and have been pleased with the result. I will shoot more video this week and post it again. I will be at the Superblue camp in two weeks and am busy training.
emakarios

Postby A.L.E » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:35 am

Keep inside hands high & forward. On RH turns in particular hand is low and lazy.
A.L.E

Return to Movement Analysis and Video