MA for pak6712

MA for pak6712

Postby pak6712 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Hello!

I mentioned two weeks ago I would have some video. Well, a non-skier took video today at Loveland so it's a bit distant but it's all I've got. It's pretty humbling to see yourself, at least for me. :) I was only there for a few runs and it's me having watched HH's video no 2 and read part of the books but not really having applied it systematically or in a organized way. After this I'm going back to ECBAE 1 to start with the basics. I don't see very many things I'm doing right in the video, but I'm sure starting with the basics I can get there.

pak6712

Re: MA for pak6712

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 am

Which turn do you think is better, to the left or to the right?

I think one way looks a lot better.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby pak6712 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:13 am

I think turning to the left looks better.

MonsterMan wrote:Which turn do you think is better, to the left or to the right?

I think one way looks a lot better.
pak6712

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:33 pm

I agree.

look at the last 7 or 8 seconds of the video. Can you see that you were initiating each turn with a move to the big toe edge of the new stance ski? It was there on the turns to the left as well, you were just more comfortable leaning in on that side.

I agree that book one would be a good next step. Do the progressions on easy terrain to ingrain the movements. You look confident skiing in that video, but the trick is to do the movements when skiing at slow speed. And learn home base for your hands and keep them there while you focus on the feet.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby pak6712 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:19 am

Thank you for the advice. I intend to practice on easy terrain for sure.

MonsterMan wrote:I agree.

look at the last 7 or 8 seconds of the video. Can you see that you were initiating each turn with a move to the big toe edge of the new stance ski? It was there on the turns to the left as well, you were just more comfortable leaning in on that side.

I agree that book one would be a good next step. Do the progressions on easy terrain to ingrain the movements. You look confident skiing in that video, but the trick is to do the movements when skiing at slow speed. And learn home base for your hands and keep them there while you focus on the feet.
pak6712

Postby oggy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 am

Your skiing is lacking the most essential of the "essentials": tipping. You are able to put your skis on the edge, but only through leaning into the turn, and that can only take you so far.

So you need to learn how to tip first. Which sounds a bit silly, because it seems like such a simple movement. And it is - at least while you're standing in your living room. Add a steep slope covered in slippery stuff and two planks attached to your feet to the equation, and it becomes much more complicated. In fact, it turns out that there is a lot of things which need to be executed properly before you can tip, like releasing properly and managing your balance. ECBAE 1 is your roadmap for getting to this point, so I'd say you're on the right track there. In general, the process of release/balance management will in turn require different combinations of the "primary" movements, which you can find described in the Essentials book, so that can also help with your understanding.

Good luck!

P.S. don't worry - you're not the only one who finds videos of themselves humbling. But the more you use video, the faster you can improve!
oggy

Postby pak6712 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:48 am

I did exactly that (focused on ECBAE 1 and tipping) the last couple of times I've been to Loveland and I think I'm starting to get it. The key for me is to focus on small movements.

oggy wrote:Your skiing is lacking the most essential of the "essentials": tipping. You are able to put your skis on the edge, but only through leaning into the turn, and that can only take you so far.

So you need to learn how to tip first. Which sounds a bit silly, because it seems like such a simple movement. And it is - at least while you're standing in your living room. Add a steep slope covered in slippery stuff and two planks attached to your feet to the equation, and it becomes much more complicated. In fact, it turns out that there is a lot of things which need to be executed properly before you can tip, like releasing properly and managing your balance. ECBAE 1 is your roadmap for getting to this point, so I'd say you're on the right track there. In general, the process of release/balance management will in turn require different combinations of the "primary" movements, which you can find described in the Essentials book, so that can also help with your understanding.

Good luck!

P.S. don't worry - you're not the only one who finds videos of themselves humbling. But the more you use video, the faster you can improve!
pak6712

Postby HighAngles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 pm

I ski LL quite often. PM me if you'd like to get together for a couple laps sometime.
HighAngles

Return to Movement Analysis and Video