MA | Carvers | Days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, on snow (hips/arms)

MA | Carvers | Days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, on snow (hips/arms)

Postby arothafel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Here's the first day out on Harb Carvers. Plenty to MA so have at it..!

Beyond all the same stuff.. (arms, flexing more, O-frame, etc.) I was attempting to get a little more CB... The last clip with the short turns really show my foot-scissoring... I want to correct that, too.

New lift was installed this year...!
Last edited by arothafel on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
arothafel

Re: MA | Carvers | Day One

Postby arothafel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Day 2...

arothafel

Postby ToddW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:30 pm

arothafel wrote:
New lift was installed this year...!

That looks like a "detachable grip" lift. Better be nice to the "lift operator" until you get to the top or you'll be carvering switch :wink:
ToddW

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 am

Hi arothafel, it is interesting to see the kind of result you get from harbcarver, good job. My comment : I would like to see more flexing, you initiate the turn with tipping, that's fine however because of the lack of flexing it is hard for you to develop strong angle and to have long leg short leg.
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

Good call, jepoupatout..

I get the same assessment about my regular skiing... "more flex." Next runs... more flex!

Thanks - Art

P.S. Todd, my lift operator went back to college. I need to train my dogs....
arothafel

Re: MA | Carvers | Day 1, 2 and 5....

Postby arothafel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Here's Day 5... working more on flexing and CB.

arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:14 am

Hi Art, i noticed your effort for more flexing however you should be able to exagerate. The other element that is weak is the lack of Ca and your hip gave me that information. In the high C you delayed the bend at the hip and the hip is t unlock. So at the low C because you initiate the turn with your hip not properly bend and open (see hand on the hip exercise it will help)it will be harder to create a lot of flexing later in the turn. It is like a piece of the puzzle that is partially missing so when I compare with HH it is easier to match the difference. The CA and CB will be more efficient if you could unlock your hip and it will help to develop more flexing because you will have all the element of the technique set in place. You have to concentrate on the change of edge portion where all start (if you have the DVD of HH Complete upper body) watch the introduction at 2m 16 sec you will have the image i would like to see in your movement. After watch the portion 3m 32 sec on the DVD where it shows the squizing together and crunching effect on the side of the body that happened when your you are creating more CB and CA,
keep in mind it all start more easyly if when you unlock your hip.
A better alignment will help generate more flexing .
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks again, jepoupatout..

... funny, I thought I really was exaggerating the flex, but, once I looked at the video... it's hardly there. I wonder if I build up more speed and pressure if it won't be more pronounced. I'll keep on it.

Hips are another issue. I'll have to check that out. Usually, I'm guilty of "hip-dumping" and pre-mature CA more than anything else... as can be seen in other video. I also see a bunch of "foot shuffling" going on so free foot management is also on the agenda. Arms... well, they just seem to be the "holy grail" for me. I've been working at ridding the dreaded arm swing for 3-4 years.

I sometimes wonder about my carver movements and if they are the same as my skiing movements. For one thing, the Carvers are much less forgiving especially in the fore/aft dept. As such, it may be that the Carvers tend to make a person be a bit more "tight/tense" instead of more "loose" and "relaxed." Probably a matter of getting used to them. Each time out I feel more confident on them.. but still not as "secure" as on skis. In my mind, if skiing were baseball, then the Carvers are like swinging the "heavy bat." So, I am hoping that if I can get it "right" on the Carvers, that it will flow into my skiing movements.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Art
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:34 am

Its challenging to exaggerate flexing on carvers.

Art, inside hand/shoulder/hip up, up, up! Practice this standing on stairs or on a box. Learn to move your pelvis around the femoral head of the outside leg.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks Max,

Great advice. I know the stair/box exercise to which you refer. I'll start doing it. Also, on a slant board. Even my avatar shows me leaning into the turn! I find it easy to CA but not easy to CB as it puts such a strong pull on my lower back muscles and I have a history of lower back issues (mostly resolved with PMTS, however). So, do you think loosening up my hips (with the stair/box exercises) would take some of that "pull" out of the movement? I guess I'll find out and be able to answer myself. I hope to show some improvement in the next video (about a week).

Thanks for the MA. Amazing what shows up on video!
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:31 pm

If you don't turn your pelvis around the femoral head as Max said your back will have to compensate and twist more to adjust the CA and CB and probably put more stress on it.
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am

Is there a diagram, video or animation of this movement. Seems to me that HH had posted a diagram, but I can find it.
All other searches for "move pelvis around femoral head" results in golf swing animations and video.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I would just like to fully understand it better.
Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 am

This is rotating around the femoral head for CB:

Full article here:

http://www.harbskisystems.com/harald/061028.htm
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks Max... That's what I was looking for. I guess if I just slow down video of HH or you I'll see it in action.

Thanks again!
arothafel

Postby polecat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:45 pm

arothafel wrote:... ... funny, I thought I really was exaggerating the flex, but, once I looked at the video... it's hardly there. I wonder if I build up more speed and pressure if it won't be more pronounced. ....

Now, now, no cheating. It ain't exaggerating the movement if you let inertia do it for you. The point to doing it slowly is train you to do it for yourself.

Here's a thought (possibly a dumb one, I haven't tried it in skates), maybe try the Stationary Flex & Tip exercise (Essentials, Flexing and Fore/Aft Balance DVD, at 6:26) to get the feel of deep flexing on Carvers.

pc
polecat

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video