harb carver ma

Re: harb carver ma

Postby acali » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:31 pm

I've got a better video and I believe I'm making progress.
From what I can tell I'm still a little right foot dominant which is leading to good tipping going right and lackluster turns going left.
I'm flexing a little more but I don't own all these movements yet. (who does?)

Am I correct in my thinking?
Something that one of you think I should focus on?

acali

Postby arothafel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 pm

My $.02 is to get rid of the gates. I speak from experience. When I first got on Carvers, I constructed a bunch of homemade "spring-loaded" bamboo poles in a cement base and hot glued them to my street. I warriored-up and attacked the bamboo til they all splintered.... I have video of it somewhere and I'll post it if I can find it.

Here's the thing. The gates were forcing my turns, and hence, forcing my movements. If you just get rid of the forced turns and focus on allowing your movements to come more naturally -- without having to get around each gate, you may feel and see a big difference.

Good luck and keep up the practice. I found the Carvers are the absolute best summer training you can possibly do to improve yourself for the upcoming season.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 pm

When the left foot is the inside foot - more inside foot management. By that I mean keep it closer to the stance foot and tip it more.

Flex to release and then tip like crazy. After you get that dialed perhaps work on the left arm movement.

FWIW, I like using cones (gates).
Max_501

Postby serious » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:22 am

Acali,

I am surprised nobody said this, but what you are missing is upper-lowr body separation. In the initial videos you are just static, but in the later videos you are using too much upper body involvement in your turns. I don't have Harb Carvers, but I am a very experienced in-line skater and I can tell you that you use your upper body the way a lesser experienced skater would. Work on that and you will get it in no time!
serious

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:30 am

Upper body movements are secondary. The turn to the right shows good CB and probably enough CA for the turns being made. Turn to the left needs more of both.

In PMTS we focus on the primary movements first and in this case we can see that more tipping and flexing are needed.

Carvers are designed to mimic the tipping movements needed for PMTS. Inline skates are much much easier to tip.
Max_501

Postby kirtland » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Notice how Jay keeps his feet close together particularly at the release. It allows him to tip much more easily and to be in better balance over his outside carver. I lift my new free foot, when I catch myself being dependent on my inside foot and not balancing over my outside foot. Look at Chapter 5 & 6 in "Anyone can be an Expert Skier 2"
kirtland

Postby arothafel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 pm

FWIW, I like using cones (gates).

Max, for clarity, do you advocate cones for learning PMTS with Carvers?
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Once you can turn, yup!
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Does that apply to this particular MA? Or are you speaking of yourself, Harald, Jay, Diana and others who "know how to turn?"

I'm a little confused here.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:39 am

I don't see any problems with Acali using the cones. The turn shape size look good. You can't pivot carvers so the cheating one might see with gates on snow doesn't apply.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 am

I stand corrected. It was suggested to me to get rid of the gates by one of the aforementioned perhaps for different reasons.

acali - disregard my post and have at it!
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 pm

arothafel wrote:It was suggested to me to get rid of the gates by one of the aforementioned perhaps for different reasons.

Did your gates require blocking with the hands?
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Good point! But it was about focus. The gates, whether full or cones, shifted my focus from practicing and drilling PMTS movements to just trying to make the gate. Gates forced my turns. Forced turns compromised my ability to focus on PMTS. It's that simple.

Once the drills did not include gates and the total focus was on making better PMTS movements everything got better.. including the feedback. Everyone has their own set of "things" that work or don't work. This was mine.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:58 am

Drills should be done without cones. No question about that. And if the cones are rushing your movements then practice without the cones is a good idea.
Max_501

Postby serious » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:48 am

max_501: Upper body movements are secondary. The turn to the right shows good CB and probably enough CA for the turns being made. Turn to the left needs more of both. In PMTS we focus on the primary movements first and in this case we can see that more tipping and flexing are needed.

I think your comment to keep legs closer together is the first thing that has to happen. Without that, tipping/flexing is much harder and he is forced to use the upper body to turn (especially true for left turns, which you can see at 25s in the video). But you right, focus on the legs and the rest will "fall into place" so to speak.
serious

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video