harb carver ma

harb carver ma

Postby acali » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I've been playing with the carvers more recently and I've found with practice I can make crazy short turns going right.
But going left I am unable to continue tipping and can only produce very large radius turns.
This should all get sorted in a couple weeks at race camp but until then I've attached a short video of several right turns and then a couple of my left turns.

Advice?
acali

Re: harb carver ma

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Compare your movements to this video:

Max_501

Postby acali » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:09 am

Clearly my movements are not the same as those. But I would like some help in in acquiring those movements. I've had several pmts lessons on snow now but with the carvers I've just been experimention my own.
I don't really have the eye yet to look at an expert's movements and say this is what I need to do to achieve that
acali

Postby arothafel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:48 am

I'm pretty sure Jay Peterson has a whole bunch of Harb Carver information at his site. You may need to register and then poke around a bit...

http://www.skiersynergy.com/cms/products-ski-instruction-pmts-harb-carvers/harb-carvers.html

... Or, go to YouTube and search: Harb Carvers. Here's just a sample (Harald and Jay at Gov Camp is one of my favorites!)

/

/
arothafel

Postby acali » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 am

Yeah, I've watched absolutely anything I could find featuring people on carvers. (and everything PMTS on skis for that matter)
I was hoping someone experienced could give me some personal advice to improve what I'm currently doing.
But if not I'll get in-person training in a couple of weeks.
acali

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

I think your "bad" side, turns to the left, actually uses better pmts movements.

Your turns to the right are made with little weight on the stance, (outside), ski.

Remember that to tip more you need to flex more, so play around with what may feel like hugely exaggerated flexing and tip to higher angles.

Balance over the stance ski on your turns to the right, (try a narrower stance).
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby GregM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Your "good" turns were created by extreme (I would say not proportional to the speed and turn radius) counter balancing moves of the upper body. This leaning allows to achieve the static balancing position with the feet tipped to a greater angle which explains the shorter turn radius.

You need to initiate and maintain the turn by tipping the free foot. I agree that the "bad" turns actually look better then the "good" ones. My suggestion is -- narrow your stance and tip, tip, tip :). It is much harder to tip in the wide stance position. The upper body counter balance must result from tipping and not vice versa. Like Harald said -- nothing really works without tipping which is the most important essential.
GregM

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:35 pm

You are on the right track, use your poles, they are hugely helpful in CB. I've seen TTS fully certified instructors who can't tip as well as you are doing. Keep it up, you will only get benefits from what you are doing. Almost everyone rates Harb Carver improvements at; 1 to 5, relative to snow. In other words, if you improve 1 step on Carvers, it will feels like 5 steps on snow.
h.harb

Re: harb carver ma update

Postby acali » Fri May 27, 2011 4:17 pm

So I went to race camp and I've been practicing the carvers quite a bit.
I've worked on trying to get back to leading with my feet and not leading with other parts of my body.
I believe that I'm ready to start focusing more on CA/CB especially on my turns to the left as long as I don't stop tipping.

Here is a video of me running through a short course on a very shallow slope.
What does the community think?

acali

Postby HighAngles » Sat May 28, 2011 11:17 am

Get some rubber tip protectors for your poles. If you don't care about your poles at least you'll care about our ears. :wink:
HighAngles

Postby kirtland » Sat May 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Cheap and easy tip protectors. 3/8" Rubber tubing from Hardware store, cut .5 to .75 inches longer than distance from basket to tip of pole. They wear out fairly quickly but they are cheap.
kirtland

Postby HighAngles » Sat May 28, 2011 6:23 pm

I had some old washer hookup hoses that have the internal metal braid (reinforcement) and have found that those actually work well and last much longer than the generic rubber hosing I was using.
HighAngles

Postby Matt » Mon May 30, 2011 10:36 pm

I have never tried carvers so I don't know how they feel, but to me it looks like the most important essential, tipping, is quite ok. However, the second most important essential, flexing, needs more work.
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 am

It is difficult to see the movements clearly the from the ground position. Next time out try raising the camera by putting it on a chair or a tripod.
Max_501

Postby acali » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am

Ok, I'll add a tripod (and a real camera) to my carving kit.

I was using tip protectors that day but they had worn out by the time I filmed myself and I was too lazy to put some new ones on.
But for the sake whats left of my poles and your ears I'll make sure they're on. Thanks for the advice on tip material.

Comparing Diana and Jay's carving I do see that, among other things, they have way more flexing going on.
Next session I'll try incorporating some flexing drills.
acali

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video