MA of my 8 year old son...

Re: MA of my 8 year old son...

Postby jimgrossman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Okay. Trying to catch up here. Haven't taken a clinic with Harald since his PSIA days. Just ordered Essentials and will read as much as I can here on the site until it gets here. Thanks again for the comments.

Harald let me know the next time you're doing a camp for the kids in California and if there is room, we would love to join.

Here's a video from last weekend as well, although, now I can see more clearly some issues, not the least of which is encouraging him to "drop the hip..."

jimgrossman

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:01 am

jimgrossman wrote:now I can see more clearly some issues, not the least of which is encouraging him to "drop the hip..."

Exactly. I think you're on the right track and starting to look at skiing from a different perspective. Thats the first step.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dan.boisvert » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm really impressed with the energy you're putting into your son's skiing. I spent most of this season skiing at Waterville Valley and watching their academy kids rip it up. Many of those youngsters have amazing quality in their skiing, and I was fortunate to ski a bunch with a PMTS coach who spends most of his time working with them. After seeing enough 10 year olds who looked like short WC racers, I started asking about how they get those kids to ski like that. Amongst the points he made was that, when they're of pre-academy age, one of the most important things he does is work on mom or dad's skiing, because kids learn like sponges and are incredible mimics. Until they're in an a structured program, the person they're skiing with most is mom or dad, and as you've noticed with your son, they'll do what they see you doing, even if you tell them to do something else.

In that vein, there are coaches who use that approach out there, and they definitely work with kids of pre-academy age who show the potential to be very good skiers. I don't know anything about your area, but if there are ski academies around, Harald might know somebody who you could work with on a more frequent basis to supplement camps and book/video instruction.

The Essentials book is great, and I find myself using it a lot. It's one of those books you can repeatedly re-read and notice a word or two you didn't notice last time that answers a question you've been thinking about. The DVD's are the way to go for learning the drills by yourself, though; there's no substitute for seeing them performed correctly. Lastly and as you'd expect, in-person coaching helps tons, and everything you learn is stuff you can use to help your son, so you might want to look at options for yourself for camps and such, as well.

Cheers,

Dan
dan.boisvert

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Thanks Dan,

The "Essentials" book is great, (if I do say so myself) I admit it has all the elements and can make huge changes in anyone's skiing, however it is the "PMTS Graduate Course". The PMTS "Doctorate" is in Book 2.
I am now re-eiting Book 1, and Book 2, amazing so far, I find so little to change after almost 15 years. If I see any gapping errors or needs of explanation, I'll post them first on the forum.
h.harb

Postby polecat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:18 pm

It seems to me that most everybody wants to start at the top. This seems especially true for those that already ski at a high level (by traditional standards). And when you consider how horrible the beginning stuff is in traditional ski instruction it's hard to blame them.

But I have to side with the the recommendation of Glinda, the good witch of the north, when she says, “It’s always best to start at the beginning.”

I think it's always best start to start with Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier 1. It gives you more than an intro to PMTS, It gives you a foundation to build on.

The exercises in ACBES 1 may be more basic than in the other books, but that doesn't mean they're easy. You have to be a pretty darn good skier to them all well. (I sure can't) And they still do a great job of exposing weakness in your form.

pc.
polecat

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Here's to the witches of skiing!
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm

To me the most significant explanation of skiing and what is required to ski well is "The Essentials". Having said that I have heard Max say for years that the right way to progress with PMTS is to start with the ACBAES 1 and do all the exercises and drills and the move to book 2 and do the same. I have to agree. Book 1 and 2 are designed to build the essential building blocks to necessary progress. Doing thse drills correctly and working on them until you are ready to advance is the fastest and most efficient way to advance one's skiing.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Smackboy1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:54 am

How about getting all the DVDs: ACBAES 1+2, Essentials 1+2+3, Performance Free Skiing and watching them with your son? It will give him some models to emulate. In my experience children (and even some grown ups like me) don't respond so well with verbal instruction (written or spoken). Visual or kinesthetic works better. PMTS skiers tend to have a very distinctive and consistent style. When I'm watching different ski videos, my 8 y.o. daughter can easily pick out Harald from all the others just from his skiing (and I have a LOT of different ski videos).
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby Matt » Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 am

h.harb wrote:Thanks Dan,

I am now re-eiting Book 1, and Book 2, amazing so far, I find so little to change after almost 15 years. If I see any gapping errors or needs of explanation, I'll post them first on the forum.

Great to hear Harald. When can we expect the new editions?
Matt

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Probably when I find something seriously behind in my thinking. Possibly the pole touch sections in Book 2, and better interpretations and explanations for, TFR, BPST and Pure carved turns. These things and definitions evolved as we needed them, but they were there twelve years ago. Now that we have caught up; I can start to enter them into the lexicon of the the earlier books. I'm not sure that's ethical or the correct thing to do however, because then you lose the evolutionary history of PMTS. I can't believe Expert 1 is already 15 years old. It's holding up pretty well.

The whole thing might be good for business however, because you might want to collect the different versions.
h.harb

Postby Matt » Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm

h.harb wrote:Probably when I find something seriously behind in my thinking. Possibly the pole touch sections in Book 2, and better interpretations and explanations for, TFR, BPST and Pure carved turns. These things and definitions evolved as we needed them, but they were there twelve years ago. Now that we have caught up; I can start to enter them into the lexicon of the the earlier books. I'm not sure that's ethical or the correct thing to do however, because then you lose the evolutionary history of PMTS. I can't believe Expert 1 is already 15 years old. It's holding up pretty well.

The whole thing might be good for business however, because you might want to collect the different versions.

Book 2 is out of stock in your store and book 1 is out of stock at amazon so if you plan to reprint you have a good opportunity now.

I want to get the two before the next season but right now I cannot.
Matt

Postby jimgrossman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Updated footage of Buey from Hood last week. This was on Magic East near the top but still pretty flat. I have free-skiing clips from up on Palmer also. Will post asap.

As always any and all comments, critiques, suggestions welcome. Thanks so much!

Enjoy!

Jim

P.S. We're heading back the week of and including Summer Nationals, ~7/17-7/24. If anyone is around, it would be fun to take some runs together and get 'schooled...'

jimgrossman

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:05 pm

What are the two instructions you are giving at the beginning of the video?

Which of the PMTS books/DVDs do you have at home? It will help us refer you to specific areas for future drills.

A tip for future video...if possible stand about half way down the run and then video as he ski towards you and then past you. Get at least 5 turns of the front and of the back. Make use of the zoom and OIS features if you have them.
Max_501

Postby cheesehead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:45 pm

h.harb wrote:. I'm not sure that's ethical or the correct thing to do however, because then you lose the evolutionary history of PMTS. ....
I think making the consistency of explanation and terminology far outweighs the other considerations.

If someone were to acquire all 3 books and have 3 different explanations of what may or may not be the same thing, then it feels like you are going down the rabbit hole. Somebody really close to the process might be interested in the evolution, but for most of us, the most current and well-thought-out terminology is what matters.

Making those changes without just throwing things away and starting over again can be tricky.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby jimgrossman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:32 am

New video clip from Buey free-skiing GS this year.

And slalom free ski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNjzw3AY ... ata_player
jimgrossman

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video