MA Check Up

MA Check Up

Postby am-i-ghetto » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:33 pm

I've been working on PMTS movements using the HH books and videos for about seven years. I haven’t been to camp or worked with a PMTS coach but I'm not new to skiing. I worked as a weekend ski instructor for a kids ski club back in the late 70's.

I'm trying to do slow brushed turns using PMTS movements. The run is "black" for Donner Ski Ranch but would be a "blue" run at most resorts.

What I see is a fore/aft balance issue and some up movement.

The skis are 178 Dynastar Legend 8000. The boots are Salomon XWave 8's. The bindings are Look Pivot 10's.

am-i-ghetto

Re: MA Check Up

Postby oggy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 am

From my view, judging by the turn where you're passing in front of the camera, your fore/aft balance doesn't seem to be too bad - your hips seem to be atop of your feet through the upper portion of the turn. But I might be wrong, you as the skier probably have a better perspective on this.

What seems more problematic to me is that you're initiating your turns with your (new) stance leg. One can see a consistent up move and A framing. You do seem to be patient and balanced after that, so you still get a relatively smooth turn, but it seems to me you could still see quite an improvement by keeping that free foot flexing and tipping through the last 1/3rd of the turn and making sure you're not extending in transition. Practicing 1FRs/Super Phantoms with a focus on not extending the old free foot might be helpful there. One other thing that I'm not sure about is whether your CA is kept long enough - you might play with that and see if it gets you some more energy out of the turn.

Edit: on a semi-related note, if you use Chrome and enable the HTML5 beta in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/html5) the video slider now moves the video frame-by-frame. Awesome for MA.
oggy

Postby am-i-ghetto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks Oggy.

The "up" move haunts me.

I'll work on 1FRs/Super Phantoms and focus on not extending the old free foot. I've been trying to "stay down" which is much less specific.

Steve
am-i-ghetto

Postby am-i-ghetto » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Sillyness. I bought a Sony Cyber-shot camera back when Max_501 was promoting the use of video as a teaching tool. I'm just now getting people to point it at me. I should have done this years ago.

I had a chance to ski Alpine Meadows with my daughter mid-week. Alpine is a treat. I had my daughter video one segment with the instructions to shoot my feet if I got too close to fit in the frame.

I'm holding onto the stance edge and going knock knee'd as Oggy pointed out. This shows it better.

am-i-ghetto

Postby geoffda » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:47 pm

If you are at Alpine Meadows, grab a lesson with Walter Edberg. He's a PMTS Blue Cert & he'll get you right. A PMTS lesson is well worth the money if you can swing it. It will give you a foundation that will really help you with on-line coaching going forward. Not sure if this contact info is current, but here it is. Just make sure you tell him (not the ski school) that you want a PMTS lesson.

Edberg, Walter (PMTS) Blue 775-338-3128 weesbe@charter.net 530-581-8200 PSIA certified level 3, alpine & telemark

Meanwhile, practice the dryland tipping exercises every chance you get. You don't need to be skiing to aquire muscle memory for skiing movements. Just focus on not pushing off when you do the dry land. Let your tipping to little toe edge activate the kinetic chain to move your ankles, knees and hips.
geoffda

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:25 am

The advice to take the high level lesson with a blue cert is dead on. It's nice to know there is one at your mountain.

Your turns in the first video are decent-your staying fairly flexed through the whole turn and using flexing to release and tip in most turns. To my eye, however, you finish every turn with aft balance which results in a subtle but noticeable tail push as you finish the turn (you get no snow spray from the front of your skis anywhere during the turn and a lot off the tails at the end of the turn). You're missing that strong free foot pull back early in each turn. I'd use the drills in the fore-aft section-especially on foot pull and hold back from Essentials.

Rex
Skiasaurus Rex

Return to Movement Analysis and Video