My first video

My first video

Postby josmeunier » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:58 pm

I am skiing rather slow on a busy green run trying to tip in 82mm wide rentals.
I think my tipping is fine. Trying to connect the rest of the body to my boots and skis
is the tricky part. I have a horrible time trying to stay forward on the skis, always sitting back.
I am watching the HH videos and doing the drills. Need to work on CA/CB and fore-aft.
Thanks for any suggestions.
josmeunier

Re: My first video

Postby ibMED » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:10 am

At the very beginning of Expert Skier II, HH demonstrates the javelin turn where the free foot ski is held off the ground with the tip over the tip of the stance ski. This drill can't be done without getting fore-aft balance much more forward than your video shows. This drill remains my #1 practice to determine where I am with respect to for/aft balance and it continues to reinforce the need to get forward.

HH then offers his first 2 improvement concepts. First, put your feet close together (not locked together) and Second, transfer your balance and stand on one ski. In the video, your feet are wide apart and balance transfer to weighting one ski needs improvement. Keep pulling your free foot back to touch the stance boot which is movement that helps keep your feet under your hips.

All the above are starting points that enable newer PMTS skiers to obtain better tipping movements. For now, keep working on tipping and the above. Worry about more advanced concepts later.
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby josmeunier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:57 pm

thanks for the input. sometimes, as you know, it is hard to know if you're doing it right
unless there is a critical eye or video on you. I will practice those changes as you recommend and
try to get another video before the snow melts.
I have the ACBAES 2 book and actually a VHS tape of it as well.
thanks
josmeunier

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't think your first assertion is true...that your 'Tipping is Fine'.

Yes you are fairly aft through these turns and there are other issues-but like Harald recently wrote in one of the other threads-it all begins with the feet, get that tipping right and the rest lines up fairly well. I don't think trying to fix everything is the key right off-Flexing, CB, CA, etc-all important, true, but you really need to nail down the footwork.

Some of the coaches or Harald will tell you what specifically to work on-but I'd suggest starting with the static tipping exercises in 'Essentials' and really start to get a feel for exactly what the feet (both of them acting together) and the ankles do to initiate, shape and complete a quality ski turn.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby josmeunier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:50 pm

thanks for the input.
If I can get someone to go skiing with me this week, I can
get more video when I improve.
josmeunier

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 am

From the PMTS material pick out a few drills for tipping, free (inside) foot management , and fore/aft. Some of the drills, like the javelin, combine these. Start with the basics like indoor static tipping and work from there.
Max_501

Postby cheesehead » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm

You are getting on the edges, which might be the basis of you saying "my tipping is fine." What I DON'T see is any counteracting. Your shoulders are square across the skis all the time.

You might try as a next step to take your inside hand and point it forward towards your ski tips -- that will turn your shoulders in a correct counteracting position. You might find that you are unbalanced that way -- so bend forward at the base (if you are counteracted, that would be trying to get your shoulders over the outside ski) -- then you will be counterbalanced as well.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby josmeunier » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm

I guess my tipping isn't fine. I will go back to the drawing board and start over.
I thought I was getting to my edges OK. Though I found it very hard with the wider skis.
At one point this year I could do the "hop" edge change drill and "hop" edge change to initiate
the next turn on blue runs. That's why I thought I was OK. I will start again with drills
and keep working... thanks everybody for the constructive critical analysis!
josmeunier

Return to Movement Analysis and Video