MA for Chris

MA for Chris

Postby chris719 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:51 am

Ok, this is uglier than I expected, both in video and in skiing :).

I just started reading / watching the PMTS stuff this season and have only had a chance to ski 5 days so far this year, so I haven't really been able to incorporate anything yet. I guess this would be my "before" video and hopefully there will be some "after" videos down the road. All of the usual suspects are present it looks like. Not much tipping, no counteracting, and little to no counterbalance to go along with the steering. Oh, and lazy uncoordinated arm movements too.

The quality of the video is pretty bad and I had to intentionally slow down some of the video to make it watchable... didn't actually intend to video this for MA. Any input would be welcome, I'm pretty sure tipping is the place to start but I'm all ears. Bonus points if anyone can spot alignment issues. I think this is on a very generously rated blue or runout.

Thanks!

chris719

Re: MA for Chris

Postby chris719 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Forgot to mention, my boots here are Atomic RT CS 110 in at least a shell size too large. My Raptors still need some work done to not destroy my toes. I think I'm essentially never getting forward but not sure if it's alignment or technique.
chris719

Postby idahorob » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Chris, good on you for having the courage to post "before" video. Yours certainly looks better than mine did some time back!

I think your own analysis is correct and we generally start with tipping, tipping and more tipping. I suggest you concentrate on those drills -- do you have the Tipping dvd from the Essentials series? Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier, Vol 1 is also a great place to start with this. For some reason we are all resistant to posting video here of our drills, but this is probably a mistake. The good skiers on this forum point out it is imperative to work on the drills until you can do them correctly -- really correctly! Getting feedback on that is, I think, more important than comments about your free skiing. There have been many times I've thought I was doing the drills correctly, but I was misinterpreting the instructions or failing to notice some critical component. If you can catch this early, you'll save yourself months of work.

The only way PMTS can take you where you want to go is if you love the learning process. You have to get clear on what Harald and the coaches are doing and constantly measure your performance against that standard. Keep noticing how closely you can approximate what they are doing and keep closing the gap between you and them. You'll have "fun" with this for several seasons, as the gap is huge at first and we gradually get a little closer to the expert level.
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:12 pm

idahorob wrote:There have been many times I've thought I was doing the drills correctly, but I was misinterpreting the instructions or failing to notice some critical component.

Talk about an understatement! :D

Hehe...of course I'm just joking. :twisted:
Max_501

Postby idahorob » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Max_501 wrote:[Talk about an understatement!

If anyone would know, it would be you!
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby chris719 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for the comments Rob! I did get all of the books and DVD's fairly recently, and I do plan to work on the stuff in the Tipping Essentials DVD primarily to start. My biggest issue is splitting time to do the drills, especially when skiing with friends. I saw your video progression and it helped me decide to really give PMTS a try.

Video is really eye-opening, I never thought there would be such a difference between what you feel and what the video shows.
chris719

Postby chris719 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Oh, if anyone qualified could comment, as much as the video allows, on my fore-aft balance that would be much appreciated. Trying various setups to get a more forward neutral position.
chris719

Return to Movement Analysis and Video