Arapahoe Basin Blue/Dk Blue #2 Camp Info

Arapahoe Basin Blue/Dk Blue #2 Camp Info

Postby Diana Rogers » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello Harb Ski Campers!

We hope that you are enjoying your summer, and starting to think about the upcoming winter and ski season. If you are planning your lodging during the Arapahoe Basin Blue/Dk Blue Camp (session 2), here is some information.

You may lodge anywhere you like during the camp. There is no lodging at Arapahoe Basin itself. The closest lodging options are at Keystone, about 10 minutes away. Most campers stay in Summit county - Keystone, Silverthorne, and Dillon. Those locations are all within a 20-minute drive of the ski area. It's easiest to get around if you have your own car.

No Car? Ride Share
If you will not have a car during camp, then we recommend that you stay at Keystone. You can shuttle there from the airport, there are plenty of dining options within walking distance, and there is bus service from Keystone to Arapahoe Basin. The only concern with this method is that in snowy weather, the bus service may be canceled. If you are planning to be without a car, please post on the forum that you need to share a ride. Hopefully there's another camper with a car who will share with you.

Alignment Pre-days
If you are arriving early for camp and wish to have your indoor alignment session done prior to camp, we do have openings at our shop on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 11&12, and at the alignment condo on Sunday, Dec. 12, from 5-7 PM. [The shop is directly on your way from the airport to Keystone, but you'll need to have a car to come there.] Please call or e-mail us by early December if you wish to schedule a pre-day appointment.

Alignment Condo
We have booked a condo at Keystone that will be the “alignment center” during camp. That's where we'll have our afternoon footbed/equipment/alignment measurement sessions. We are in the Mountain House area, Ironwood Townhomes. It's on the bus line to/from A-Basin (Summit Stage, River Run stop), and within Keystone (Keystone Ride, for Keystone lodging guests).
Click here... to see it on the Keystone Resort map...

Lift Tickets - Important!
Please remember when you book your lodging that we and Arapahoe Basin expect you to get group rate lift tickets through us for the camp (unless you have a season pass). Please do not purchase lift tickets with your lodging. Group ticket rates for '10-'11 are approximately $40/day.

Keystone Resort Lodging
Keystone Resort has many lodging options, from hotel to condo to cabin to B&B, all accessible on their web site. You can book lodging at Keystone online or by phone
http://www.keystoneresort.com/plan-a-va ... earch.aspx
Phone: 1-877-753-9786

Other Lodging
Other lodging options can be found on Arapahoe Basin's website:
http://www.arapahoebasin.com/
Click on “The Mountain” on the main menu, then click on “Lodging”

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Diana Rogers
V.P., Harb Ski Systems
Diana Rogers

Re: Arapahoe Basin Blue/Dk Blue #2 Camp Info

Postby mvalbusa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Really looking forward to the camp and skiing Colorado for the first time.
Coming in Saturday, AM and getting on the slopes in the afternoon and Sunday.
So far I have made arrangements to stay at Arapahoe Inn, 2259 Hwy 6- Keystone (970) 513-9009
Not getting a car. The cost was way high- much more than the flight cost from California.
There is a Shuttle service called Colorado Express Shuttle, $82.00/each way from Denver Airport
to Keystone. Their phone number is 1-800-525-6363, and yes they are ---> Ski Friendly :)
How do I go about getting a lift ticket at the group rate of $40/Day to ski on Saturday and Sunday prior to the class starting????
Thanks
Matt
mvalbusa

Postby h.harb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:45 am

The way to do the car thing is share a rental with two or three others. For reduced lift tickets before camp starts, check online promotions through colorado ski country, also, look into your lodging provider or hotel. Sometimes Safeway has deals. During the camp of course, you are charged the group rate.
h.harb

Postby mvalbusa » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:52 pm

As far as gear goes- I am wondering about bringing my own ski's or just renting what would be suggested for this type of style. I am getting overwhelmed by the gear posts.. I have a pair of Volk AC50- just purchased last year, 180's however seems not good for PMTS style skiiing??? and an older pair of Fischer RX4's, 175's. I would be open to getting either pair modified on the edges if that would help. Or just showup, rent some skis's and be open to purchasing another set for this style. I am currently looking for a set of head super shapes, in the 175 range. I am 6Ft-1", 220 lbs. Upper intermediate range. Any help/ info would be greatly received. I really like my boots- extrawide- Atomic Ti77's
I skied with this guy at Sugarbowl- California who took a couple of the camps. He's is a train conductor or engineer, in his 60's, your camp people might know of him. Super cool guy and we had alot of fun that day. He steered me over to your camps.
Been staying in shape by swimming 3 times a week (1mile) , yoga 3 times a week and riding my bike to work- not far, only a couple of miles but better than nothing.
If you have a suggested shopping list of good gear to watch for that would be cool, or if available to rent from your shop I would like to know.
Thanks for the help.
Matt 8)
mvalbusa

Postby geoffda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 am

Hi Matt,

The gear solution is fairly simple. The ideal learning ski is narrow-waisted, has a turny-side cut and has a medium flex. A narrow waist would be no wider than 78mm, but the ideal would be something around 65mm. Look for a sidecut between 12 and 15 meter radius. For flex, just don't go so stiff that you can't easily bend the ski at slow speeds. These tend to be skis in the race carver category. They have a race pedigree and can go fast and are responsive, but they are less energetic (relatively speaking), more forgiving, and require less effort and attention to ski. You want a ski that will let you focus on learning (as opposed to a ski that requires you to focus on staying upright).

Though you can learn on skis that don't fit this profile, it is much harder. Extra width works against you when you are trying to tip and makes it harder to really feel the movements (which means it will take you longer to learn them). Also, there is a tendency to try to overcome the resistance that these skis have to tipping by throwing your upper body around. Most people have to use inclination to get wide skis on edge. If you already have that habit it will be easier to break if you go narrower.

The Head iSuperShape is a great ski, but be aware that the 2011 ski is no longer the SuperShape that has been so well loved by PMTS skiers. The new iSuperShape is stiffer and has been transformed into a true slalom ski. While it doesn't have the teeth of the iSL, it is no longer suitable as an all around ski. It sounds like a phenomenal groomer ski, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a learning ski (both because of its lack of versatility and its decrease in forgiveness). That said, it may well be a good choice for a bigger guy (such as yourself) provided that they were groomer oriented. Personally, for Head skis, I'd opt for a TT Icon 80. Harald was on that ski last year and he says it is the closest thing to what the iSuperShape used to be. Harald will have them, but I'm not sure if anyone else will.

What you get with the TT Icon 80 (or a <= 2010 iSuperShape, or similar) is a great all-around ski that can be a daily driver for non-deep days. Both of those skis work as well off piste as they do on. The advantage of having a narrow-waisted daily driver is that it will help reinforce everything you take from camp. If you buy a more groomer oriented ski for camp, but never use it once you get home, you may find that what you learned doesn't stick. So while narrow is good, don't be afraid to go a little wider if it enables you to buy the ski you think you'll use most days. Like I said, as long as you stay under 78mm, you'll be fine.

Really, if you are shopping skis, you'd be well advised to invest $20 to subscribe to Peter Keelty's Real Skiers site. He collects feedback on hundreds of skis each year and posts the results. My understanding is that he personally demos a good number of these skis as well so he knows what he is talking about. Most importantly, he doesn't accept advertising dollars so the reviews are unbiased. If you join the site, you'll be able to quickly determine which skis will work best for you.

Good Luck!

--geoff
geoffda

Postby Hobbit » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 pm

If you are going to the camp the simplest solution would be to arrange renting the skis from Harald's shop.
Otherwise you may have problems tying to find Head rental skis in this category (Supershape ot TT80).
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby mvalbusa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:46 pm

EXCELLENT REPLY- Thank You. I am going to rent ski's from his shop. The cost of renting will most likely be similar to bringing my own ski's on the air plane.
Really appreciate your time and thoroughness. 8)
mvalbusa

Postby skijunky » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 am

I think I've died and gone to heaven. I can interact with others who love to ski. For starters, my name is Samara. I will be attending the dark blue camp Dec 13-17. I am staying in Silverthorne for $55/night, it includes breakfast and it is 13 miles from A Basin resort. I am also renting a car if anyone would like to share a ride. I will arrive in Denver at 9pm on Dec 12th, I depart on Dec 17th at 9pm. Any interested parties, please feel free to contact me.

Samara
skijunky

Postby skijunky » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:02 am

There is a picture with the caption geoffda underneath it in one of the replies, I sure hope he isnt going to be in the camp because I cant ski "like that"! I am concerned about this camp being too difficult for me. I can ski groomed blues and some blacks. It ain't pretty, but I do just fine. I skied Mary Jane last year. I dont have the best form! I hope Im not in over my head in this camp

Samara
skijunky

Postby geoffda » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Dont' sweat it, Samara, you'll be fine. As long as you are comfortable being on groomed blues, you'll be able to effectively work on learning new movements (as opposed to freaking out about the pitch) and you'll get alot out of camp. The great thing about PMTS is that everyone is working on refining the same movements no matter what their ability. I don't happen to be attending Blue/Dk Blue, but even if I was, you and I could be in the same group & we'd both benefit. PMTS instructors deliever individualized feedback within the group (its a requirement for certification), so as long as everyone is terrain and speed compatible, differences in ability don't really matter. Enjoy your camp!

--geoff

P.S. Thanks for the compliment about my skiing. That's PMTS skiing and its available to you and anyone else that is willing to go out and get it. By the time you leave camp, you will not only be able to look at my avatar and understand exactly what I'm doing (and be able to critque it too :wink: ), but you'll also understand how to get there and well beyond in your own skiing. Hopefully you realize how huge that is. Most people dream of becoming great skiers, but have absolutely no idea how to get there. After camp, the only thing standing between you and the kind of skier you want to be is just hard work.
geoffda

Postby ToddW » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Samara,

Geoff's completely right. I was at your camp last season and I will be there again this year. There's a wide range of abilities and everyone makes progress. Since you mentioned Mary Jane, let me mention that many of the skiers at this camp will have little or NO bump experience.

One of the secrets to making progress is to ski slowly in balance while exaggerating the essential movements. In the afternoons, practice what you learned that morning carefully, deliberately, precisely, and with a buddy from your group serving as an external observer for feedback. (Those who take a few runs after lunch to "fire up the afterburners" don't make as much progress.)

Oh, and I hear that if they take away your ski poles for a day or two that's a sure sign that you're in for some big time improvement :wink:
ToddW

Postby jarmao » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:40 am

I am looking to share a rental car to/from Denver airport if possible. If not, I would like to share a daily ride to ski camp. I would help defray your car rental costs. I am staying at the Araphoe Inn.

My flight info. is below:

Saturday, December 11, 2010

#1209 Depart Washington (Dulles), DC (IAD) 6:55 AM
Arrive in Denver, CO (DEN) 8:55 AM

Saturday, December 18, 2010

#3151 Depart Denver, CO (DEN) 5:25 PM
Arrive in Washington (Dulles), DC (IAD) 10:35 PM
jarmao

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:06 am

I am staying at Keystone and have a small pickup going up every day if someone needs a ride or a bunch of gear hauled.

Steve
CO_Steve

Postby mvalbusa » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:20 am

Count me in- more than happy to share gas cost.
I'm at the Arapahoe inn, Rm 123
Matt
mvalbusa

Postby skijunky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 pm

I am staying at the La Quinta in Silverthorne. I am renting an SUV. I arrive in Denver tonight at 10pm (Sunday night)
If you need a ride, let me know.

Samara
773 991 2336

Anybody interested in checking out Vail one day this week?
skijunky

Return to Harb Ski Camp Information 2010-2011