Harald's workouts

PMTS Forum

Re: Harald's workouts

Postby h.harb » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:05 pm

h.harb

Postby Bolter » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Harald and friends,

Motivation plus commitment yields results!
Bolter

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Sorry I have not been keeping up with my workout posts. I got in three climbing days this week. Six pitches each day. Hardest day was Friday 2X 5.11b 2X 5.12a.

Yesterday and Friday I also power washed my deck, Saturday stained and treated the deck. I know it doesn't sound like training, but I was more done in with the work than with the climbing. So there are definite benefits to hard outdoor physical labor. Sunday more power washing and outdoor house painting. The weather is changing and it looks like snow this week, so I had to get the last of the summer fixes done.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:11 pm

h.harb wrote:Yesterday and Friday I also power washed my deck, Saturday stained and treated the deck. I know it doesn't sound like training, but I was more done in with the work than with the climbing. So there are definite benefits to hard outdoor physical labor.

I did my deck earlier in the week. I'm still hurting.
Max_501

Postby zuschauer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 am

My workout :hopping to bathroom twice a day (crutch assisted) and letting the crazy cat out/in the door about every two hours. This augumented by the hourly period lift of my left leg to apply ice along with frequent flexing of the toes of the left foot to keep the circulation going. Alternate:Stair climb with crutches to upper bedroom ( 20 steps) (with its' convenient big bath)

Broke the left fibula (pillon fracture which is a sort of a spiraling diagonal break near the base of the fibula) in a ladder fall along with a tiny lateral fracture at the tibia base. Currently on external fixator, internal hardware coming Wednesday (hopefully)

The November workouts will be the real thing!

Richard
zuschauer

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your ladder incident. I think there are more skiers injured on or should I say "Off" ladders then on skis. I was on one all weekend and looked down once or twice thinking, man if I fall here I'm done. I'd rather be climbing on rock anytime. I'm belayed on rock climbs but not on a ladder. Also ladders are often rickety things with moving bases.

OK, we are officially claiming deck preparation and staining is in the PMTS workout schedule, I can already hear all the wives in the world rejoicing.
h.harb

Postby zuschauer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks Harald, hey, did you know you have to "flex to release" when descending stairs with a pair of crutches? You have to flex the stance (good) leg to make the move down to the next step. You never know when PMTS is going to come in handy! At least the right leg will be getting a good workout.

Richard
zuschauer

Postby zuschauer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Must have been the pain meds, but I posted the "pilon fracture" info backwards. Main problem is with tibia,(diagonal-spiral near ankle) and fortunately only a small amount of soft tissue damage and the ankle is not overly affected, there is also a small distal fibula break.

Richard
zuschauer

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:57 am

Yesterday three sets of squats, 100lbs X20 x3, ab workout and chin ups. One set of 15, tuck hops with 50lbs.
h.harb

Postby Erik » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Harald -

Is tuck hop with weights the same as tuck jumps in your HSS dryland exercises except holding dumbells?
Tuck Jumps
Goal: build explosive power in quads, hamstrings, and glutes; quickness
Description: Standing in place, jump up in the air and bring both knees up to your chest; grasp both shins with your hands when knees are at their highest; extend legs to land on both feet and immediately jump up again. (No double pump on landing; the flexion to absorb your landing leads right away to the takeoff push.) Do the jumps as quickly and as high as you can.

Any plans for a follow-on to SkiFlex?

Thanks,
Erik
Erik

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes , the hops are like tuck jumps, but not as high. The squat work out is a beginning season workout for me, but if you are not already exercising, you might be in big pain for 4 days if you try this without prior exercise, forewarned.
h.harb

Postby jclayton » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 am

Tuck jumps are great , also side jumps over someone crouched on the floor ( you know straight away if you mistime it ) .
For us old timers ( doctors say we shoudln't jump too much over 40 ) it is very good to try to land like a cat , as lightly as possible , also good for timing and balance .......and joints .
Hit your chest hard whith the knees in the tuck jumps , gives incentive , beats your body into sumission .

For flexibility and strangth , one leg squats , all the way down , bum touching the floor and up , also sitting in the lotus position and stand up without moving the position of the feet , good for the hip flexors ( I think that is the right muscle ) .
10 of those is good work .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm

For flexibility and strength , one leg squats , all the way down , bum touching the floor and up

I need to see a demo of this, maybe in April? Do you need a little counter weight for this? A Williams? a Viggy Wodka?

I'll be working on relaxing all muscles this weekend, golf is rained out again, so qualifying for Bathurst today with F1 qualifying juggled in there, then the Great Race tomorrow with the Japanese G.P. as well. Nearly better than skiing. Go Ford! Go one RedBull only.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby DonDenver » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 pm

jclayton wrote:... For us old timers ( doctors say we shoudln't jump too much over 40 )

What :shock: If a doctor has actually said that to you…tell them they’re a hack and get the hell away from them. Follow nothing else they say. What absolute BS. Your physiology [developed tens of thousands of years before that hack or other hacks of similar thought got a license] is actually prepared to respond and frankly is begging for the stimulus of jumping after 40.

Increasing sedentary lifestyles further confounded by hacks telling us not to jump is actually what is contributing to your system being brittle, lackluster and prone to breakage. Rather what we should be doing as part of our daily exercise plan…especially after 50…are plyometric routines working slowly to reintroduce your system to what it was designed to do regardless of age i.e., explosive movements of your body mass [and btw only your body mass] opposing gravity.

Jump man jump [the fountain of youth] since science shows us at a cellular level our bodies responding by building anew. Otherwise, you’ll be crumbling to dust sooner than you planned :?
DonDenver

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:54 pm

For even more fun, do them on a bosu ball!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System