Harald's workouts

PMTS Forum

Re: Harald's workouts

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:03 pm

We need a new cocktail,

Almdudler and Gin,

This is guaranteed to make you live longer; I'm not saying it's the ingredients that help, but it's where you need to go to get the ingredients and the associated great people and fresh air.

What shall we call this elixir?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 pm

I'll have an AlmDuduldidler?
h.harb

Postby DonDenver » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:57 pm

h.harb wrote:And BTW, bad news, the latest studies show that people who drink alcohol live longer. Now, I'm not saying you should go out and start drinking, but you also don't have to freak out if you have a drink or two.

I get a kick out of those “latest studies” pronouncements somehow implying authority made somehow more believable by the customary “moderation” disclaimer.

Call drinking what it is and no more as altering your state and retarding your performance is a simple adult lifestyle choice. However, when you or anyone begins to justify their drinking behavior as healthful then it’s certainly time to give-a-shit as somebody is in need of help.
DonDenver

Postby h.harb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes, I am amazed that they published the study, given the amount of over drinking that already goes on.

The other study that's out from The English medical journal is about glucosamine and condriton. Turns out it doesn't work at all for pain management.
h.harb

Postby jclayton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:45 am

If you read " Mens Health " magazines they often come up with studies that show that 1. Beer is good for you , hops etc 2. Scotch is good for you , grains , barley etc , but of course lovely clear stream natural fresh water from Scotland in the real stuff ( I defy anyone to drink some JW blue label and not sing it's praises ) 3. Wine , especially red , is full of antioxidants ( med diet etc etc ) 4. vodka is good , potatoes . 4. all that Hintertux stuff of course is exceptional .
It has also been shown that running red lights helps you live longer , the adrenaline rush is good for the nervous system .
With all these things an excess is not so healthy . Running red lights six times a day I would say is worse than 6 scotches .

But , to find a proper test with control groups and scientifically organised is not so easy . Red light runners in Moscow do have a very short lifespan . Russian vodka drinkers rarely live beyond 50 , but then that is understandable , as they say there , there is no such thing as an ugly woman , just a lack of Vodka .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby jclayton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 am

I read some studies of Gucosimine/Chondroitin , there was a " definitive " one recently saying that nothing was conclusive as to pain relief but the sinovial fluid levels did not appear to change . ( from memory )

A major manufacturer of the stuff in the States started trumpeting the same sudy , taking lines out of context and saying that all their publicity has been justified .
jclayton

Postby h.harb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Got lazy yesterday, had to have a rest day. Today went climbing (2 hours) and did an upper body maintenance workout.
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 am

Beware the researchers as they are often biased or just plain wrong. I stopped reading the research years ago as I found it disingenuous.

The first thing to note is that they speak to a different universe. The mass consumer. Research on supplementation rarely addresses the nutritional needs of the athlete. And, even then, like in the case of protein supplementation, the premise is incorrect thus effecting the entire research project.

For example, the last protein study I read made the claim the protein supplementation did NOT enhance athletic performance. Well, right off the bat, that is not the role of protein. Among true competitive athletes, the role of protein supplementation is muscle recovery. The ability to get up tomorrow and do it again. This is why most athletes supplement with protein directly after training or an event. To recover.

The proper research study would have put everyone on protein and then taken it away to determine the effect of muscle recovery with or without protein. Athletic performance has nothing to with supplementation. It has everything to do with proper baseline fueling, sleep and training techniques.

In the case of glucosamine, the report said that glucosamine and chondroitan “do not reduce joint pain or have an impact on narrowing of joint space.”

Most good glucosamine products include an anti-inflammatory like MSN and other ingredients to address some joint pain, but glucosamine and chondroitan, by themselves do not provide pain relief. And narrowing of joint space? I’ve never actually seen that claim on a glucsoamine product.

Plus, again, I’ll bet they tested a completely different universe full of people with very little blood flow to their joints, tendons, ligaments and bones. This is important because that’s the delivery system for glucosamine. This is why the docs put you on a bike after knee surgery. It’s not just range of motion. It’s getting blood to the joint to help with the recovery.

If there’s no blood flow to the muscle tissue there is NO delivery of the product. Most athletes, because of the very nature of their activity have fantastic blood flow and do quite well with glucosamine. There’s a ton evidence with smaller studies and athletes to support glucosamine.

So, at the end of the day, it’s like the researchers take Head 2011 HEAD W.C. i.DH RD Race Stock Skis put them on a bunch of novice skiers ... who of course can’t turn them at all..... and then declare that Head Downhill skis do not help skiers improve!

If I were a race coach, I’d put every kid past age 20 on glucosamine as just cheap insurance.
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:00 am

Very accurate assessment of research in the medical and nutrition fields.

Thanks Art.
h.harb

Postby idahorob » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 pm

And another thing . . . I don't trust ANY article about medical research that's in a newspaper. Several times I've been intrigued by a newspaper report and then found the published study. The actual results reported do not support the reporter's claim, and too often, do not even support the researchers' claims (at least as quoted by the reporter). You have to be able to critique the study design and undertand something about the statistics used to analyze the data. My physician friends also say not to believe what you read in the papers.
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby jclayton » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:26 am

Good one Art , everyone has an opinion but not many an informed opinion . I have been of two minds about glucosamine and you have helped clear the issue somewhat . Could you link to some of these studies ?
jclayton

Postby arothafel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:54 am

Jeremy,

Unfortunately, you have to subscribe or pay for most of that research. But I have some from 10-years ago I can dig up -- although it's hard-copy. I can scan and send if you're really interested.

Here's a link to a very short research project abstract. Be sure you read it to the end - - at the 28 day mark.

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/conten ... a779704142
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Tennis with Gary today, we played about 1.5 hours. Most fun I've had in a long time. I'm really rusty. It's been thirty years since I really played. BUt Gary tolerated my loose shots, he's a true gentleman.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Bike today, hard anaerobic uphill repeats. Core and upper body maintenance, also.
h.harb

Postby jclayton » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 am

thanks Art ,
interesting . Makes sense now .
jclayton

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System