MA for Freddiej

MA for Freddiej

Postby freddiej » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 am

Guys I need your help!
I've been skiing for two years, the first year following the PMTS books and videos and doing the drills by myself, I then joined a performance coaching session at my local indoor snow centre having been skiing with them for the past year, the trouble is they want me to ski in a way the contradicts what I know to be the right way using PMTS and hence the conflict has meant I have not improved and have decided to go back to training by myself using the PMTS books and DVDs I have. To get me started I would appreciate your comments on these three clips, a long, medium and short radius turn.
Much appreciated
Freddiej

freddiej

Re: MA for Freddiej

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Look closely at your feet for now. Do you see the little stem/wedge to the new outside/stance ski on each turn? Have another read about the Super Phantom and do the associated exercises for a session or three. When you practice these movements, also think about target tipping and patience. Wait for the skis to turn, then the skis will be loaded and in control by the time you are in the fall line and you will experience a feeling of control you won't get using non p.m.t.s. movements.

And post more video please. It's great to see some skiing again.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 am

The big difference between what you are doing and PMTS is the way you get out of the turn. Notice in your video (this goes for everyone wanting to make a difference in their skiing) you extent off the outside ski, which causes you to develop a wedge stance at release. In PMTS we don't move away from the stance ski, we actually move toward the stance ski by flexing the stance leg. This lowers your CG toward the stance boot. Now as you begin flexing your stance leg to release, if you lift that stance ski slightly to transfer your balance to the other ski, the new stance ski. You now have a PMTS release.

As Monsterman said, you have to become familiar with your little toe edge first, Because you want to transfer to it. You have to feel confident that you can balance with and over the new stance ski. This is the Super Phantom Move. Follow the steps in the Essentials books and videos, for little toe edge balance development, to get the hang of this transition. Start with the slow two footed release, to develop some confidence for moving toward the releasing ski while it releases and moves downhill.
Remember when you release the stance ski, it begins to go downhill, you have to learn to move with it and then transfer to the other ski, at or before the falline. So you have to also be comfortable with big to edge releasing movements. Garlands, again as in the Essentials videos, are critical for this development.

Most skiers don't have any sense of the little toe edge or moving with a releasing big toe edge ski. They never practice using it, Because no one tells them or teaches this. It doesn't take long to learn this new skill, but these movements are Essential for proper skier development.
h.harb

Postby freddiej » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 am

Thank you both for your invaluable advice and feed back, I will be working on the Super Phantom and the one and two footed release for the next few sessions.
Regards
freddiej

Return to Movement Analysis and Video