Return of the infrequent skier

Re: Return of the infrequent skier

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:13 pm

However, I must say that I am struggling to see the pivot/rotary entry, certainly on my most recent video

I agree,

serious, would you mind elaborating? what turn are you talking about?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby kirtland » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:39 am

Sburman,
On your last video, stop the video at each turn entry. Notice how your feet separate and that your new stance foot is leading considerably, on some of the turns. On those turns, You have things a little out of order, you are trying to tip before you have released and transfered. Some turns you have your feet closer at transition and your foot back more and they work better.

When you release, your old stance foot, it should be coming up closer, to your new stance foot, the separation indicates you are stepping on to your new ski. If you don't have your new stance foot pulled back enough, you will rotate at the hips a little, to move the skis into the new turn.

Look at this video here, although it is a Two footed release instead of a One footed release, see if you can visualize him taking all the weight off of his new free foot. Then the moves will be the same as what I am trying to describe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPM7gwZw ... _embedded#

Then look at this video, to see it in more active turns, done very smoothly. He is also maintaining his counter down the hill, which is an additional movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJwrd4ys ... re=related

Kirtland
kirtland

Postby sburman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks Kirtland. I went through the video frame-by-frame and could definitely see what you were talking about - I see the new stance foot leading on virtually every turn and the foot separation on some (and funnily enough, I could not see these moves in Harald's skiing :) ). I assume this is a function of inadequate free-foot pullback as well as lack of flexing?

What I've found interesting in this process (and it ties into the perception v. reality thread) is that despite having read the books [several times] and despite having watched the DVDs [several times], and despite trying to do PMTS movements, my eye is simply not attuned to picking out some details which are perfectly obvious to others and spotting where I am not doing the right movemenets. On my ski trip, I was completely focussed on tipping, so it may be that my mind was only looking at that, but I'm disappointed not to have picked up the lack of flex myself and the step-up - after all, I have access to the same (and more) video as the guys on the forum. I'm hoping it's just lack of experience and not some self-delusional blind spot .. :D .
sburman

Postby jclayton » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:53 pm

At first you will focus on one Essential and lose focus on the others . Also you may PERCIEVE that you are flexing , say 30cm ( 1 foot ) when REALITY you are only flexing 1 cm ( 1/2 an inch ) . Same goes for tipping . The difference can be that much !

As you develop your essentials will not improve progressively and equally . One essential may improve 20% and another 10% and a third 40% . This difference will diminish with time but often a development of an essential can be held back because another has not reached the same level .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video