MA for hacker

MA for hacker

Postby hacker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:36 am

Hi

Here is a brief and not very good video from a recent trip to Japan.
Hopefully someone can see something useful to comment on through the bad quality.

hacker

Re: MA for hacker

Postby carver_hk » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:18 am

from what i see you r doing the very opposite of PMTS. If you stop your vid at neutral you ll find that u r perfectly upright. So for PMTS skiing u probably have to reverse your flexion/extension. :)

later,

carver
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby leopold_bloom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello hacker,

You have a smooth and relaxed style on your skis and show a nice economy of movement in your skiing. This is a great place to start from.

As carver_hk noted in his post, you also have the "up move". You are extending in transition.

I don't know how familiar you are with the technique or if you have any of the Harb books or videos but the phantom move would be a great place to start. This will get you thinking about flexing the stance leg to release.

Take a run at the progressions in Chapter 5 of Expert Skier 1 if you have that book and submit some more video.

Leo
leopold_bloom

Postby hacker » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Yes I see the up move. This is a little annoying as I have trying
to remove it from my skiing for a while.
In this run I wasn't thinking just skiing and it shows I don't 'own' the flex movement in transition.
So it sounds like from the advice given that flex at transition should be the main thing for me to work at the moment?
Unfortuntely I won't be able to work on it for a while as I'm back in nz now and will have to wait for winter.
hacker

Postby leopold_bloom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Hello hacker,

Yes, I would focus on the flex-to-release move. Releasing out of the old turn starts the new one. You need to make a good start to make a good turn.

Leo
leopold_bloom

Postby h.harb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Hacker,

Notice how you lift the outside pole at initiation. Practice keeping that pole on the snow in transition (and though the arc) you will solve two movement issues,
1-slight upper body leaning and rotation
2-extension of outside leg

You will have to stay flexed with your legs in transitions if you keep this pole on the snow. It will also help you tip further as well, because tipping stops, when extension begins, so stay flexed.
HH
h.harb

Postby hacker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks Harold
I will give that a go.
hacker

Return to Movement Analysis and Video