MA - Nasty

MA - Nasty

Postby Kiwi-Paul » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:47 pm

I have a nasty habit that I need help curing. It happens when I rush the transition between turns (I suspect it's there to a lessor degree even when I don't rush)

I do realise there's plenty of things I need to work on but my badly behaved feet are just plain nasty. Help!
From experience - Too much tipping can be bad (My Avatar)
Kiwi-Paul

Re: MA - Nasty

Postby leopold_bloom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:15 am

Hello Kiwi-Paul,

I'm guessing your badly behaving feet are the Toe-to-Toe Transition (as in Big Toe). I'm inventing a term here because, Kiwi-Paul, you are not alone. TTT: riding a big toe edge onto another big toe edge.

This movement is fairly visible in the final turn of your clip.

This is a comfortable way to move onto a new ski, but you're choosing comfort at the wrong time. Transition could be the least comfortable moment because you have to give up both edges and trust in the "forces" to carry you through.

You're not showing a huge up move, but it's there. These mechanics dictate that you push off to cross your skis, rather than give in and let momentum carry you across.

Go out and try to find a flex-to-release move. This is a radically different movement compared to the one you're doing now. In fact it's almost the exact opposite: extend when you are currently flexing and flex when you're currently extending, un-tip when you are currently tipping etc.

Try this. Observe your stance foot through the turn. When you want to release, stop resisting against the forces with your stance leg and let your stance ski tip to its little toe edge. Your stance leg will flex under the pressure and your feet will tip as long as you're willing to let go. That's it in a nutshell.

Leo
leopold_bloom

Postby Kiwi-Paul » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks Leo, words of wisdom indeed. I shall try to "tip across the rice paper"

Reference: " David Carradine as Caine in the 1972 movie, -Kung Fu-. Caine walks across a blank sheet of rice paper leaving it undisturbed."
Kiwi-Paul

Postby jclayton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 am

Is that a Kiwi indoor slope ? Where are the sheep ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Kiwi-Paul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm

The sheep are there, they're just hard to see because they're white!

Kiwi-Paul

Postby ginaliam » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Kiwi-Paul wrote:The sheep are there, they're just hard to see because they're white!

OK, That's pretty damn funny!
ginaliam

Postby jclayton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:42 am

Have a closer look , if the sheep are there he must be skiing in GUMBOOTS . Hence too much big toe .
jclayton

Postby jclayton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Better CB on the right hand turns .

I would say you should practice balance on your little toe edge on the uphill ski , traverses while maintaining some CB uphill , lift the downhill ski , bring it in towards the uphill boot , and balance for as long as you can , depending on the number of sheep on the slope of course .

When you get more comfortable , follow the book , stat tilting the new LTE
jclayton

Return to Movement Analysis and Video