MA for geoffda

MA for geoffda

Postby geoffda » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:40 am

Easy bumps on Gassy Thompson at Keystone. Any and all comments welcome, but I'm especially interested on feedback on tipping mechanics. I've been working hard on brushed carving lately. Sorry the video had to be bumps, but that was the only clip of the day that had enough resolution to actually be useful for MA.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
geoffda

Re: MA for geoffda

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:32 pm

I m not sure if this is accurate. I ll just give it a try when the same thing works for me.
I m seeing you are a big too fast. I ll try to get more high C skiing by pull back the legs harder after release. :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby geoffda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

carver_hk wrote:I m not sure if this is accurate. I ll just give it a try when the same thing works for me.
I m seeing you are a big too fast. I ll try to get more high C skiing by pull back the legs harder after release. :D

Thanks HK, I think your comment is accurate. I'm not getting a lot of high C in those turns. It isn't so much a function of speed, but rather a function of line. I think I definitely need to be focusing on high C engagement in every turn I do, which means even in easy bumps I need to be working on that. I was kind of expecting to hear that comment, so thanks for making it.
geoffda

Postby milesb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

You bail out of the tipping halfway through some of the turns. So some turns keep control and look good, and others lose it. The right hand turn at :12 started out really nice, it would have been awesome if you had stayed flexed at bit longer.
As much fun as it is to just blast through the easy bumps, I learn more if I ski them like they were much bigger.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby leopold_bloom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:37 pm

hello Geoffda,

If you want high-c engagement you will have to flex on the top of the mogul more and extend on the back side to keep your feet on the ground.

It looks to me like you are trying to ski a line that requires sucking up the mogul more. You end up pushing on the end of the turn because you didn't suck when you needed to.

You could ski the line your mechanics are giving you but it would be a lot longer and faster as the top of the turn would be a lot longer due the the pop-off-the-top-off-the-mogul-float.

Leo
leopold_bloom

Postby geoffda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 am

milesb wrote:You bail out of the tipping halfway through some of the turns. So some turns keep control and look good, and others lose it. The right hand turn at :12 started out really nice, it would have been awesome if you had stayed flexed at bit longer.
As much fun as it is to just blast through the easy bumps, I learn more if I ski them like they were much bigger.

leopold_bloom wrote:hello Geoffda,

If you want high-c engagement you will have to flex on the top of the mogul more and extend on the back side to keep your feet on the ground.

It looks to me like you are trying to ski a line that requires sucking up the mogul more. You end up pushing on the end of the turn because you didn't suck when you needed to.

You could ski the line your mechanics are giving you but it would be a lot longer and faster as the top of the turn would be a lot longer due the the pop-off-the-top-off-the-mogul-float.

Leo

Thanks guys. Yeah, that makes sense. I think part of the problem is that I'm still not fully integrating tipping with flexion. Extension kills tipping, which means I've got to be fully tipped before I extend down the back side, right? So really, if you lose snow contact off the top of the bump, that totally kills your ability to tip since you'll have no choice but to extend to get snow contact back...
geoffda

Postby milesb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:09 pm

If you can get a decent high c like in that :12 turn, there is often no need to actively extend down the backside, unless you are going pretty fast or the bumps are really abrupt.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

:16+ seconds...are you feet in front of your hips?..... :oops:

Pull your feet strongly behind you every time you crest over the bump. Pull the inside foot strongly back all the time while you're tipping it and tipping it more and more and more.

:18 seconds...where's the tipping? Don't waste a turn.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby leopold_bloom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:15 am

Hello Geoffda,

In your skiing you have the right idea about tipping and flexing but maybe not in your head.

When the master says, "Extension kills tipping..." you have to understand the context. In a turn on flat snow, extension at release or after release through the top of the turn does kill tipping. Tipping is all about a bending or flexing motion, not an extending motion.

In the moguls you have one overriding requirement: stay on the snow. How can you turn in the air?

The guy who taught me to ski was extremely hot. Exceptionally hot in the moguls. I asked him how he chose his line through the bumps. He said, "I don't. When you understand how to manage the pressure you won't bother looking for a line." He said this rather matter of factly without being terse.

Some years later I understood what this meant. He didn't ski around bumps. He removed the "pressure" they created by very vigorous extension and flexion. He reshaped the snow to make it seem flat so that he could lay down a proper turn. And he did.

So to answer your question, no, you don't have to be fully tipped any differently than normal. When your legs are most flexed, you are flat. This is typically at the top of a mogul. From here on in, do what you have to do to tip your skis and engage the snow. Sorry, MilesB, but if you want to ski moguls you've got to extend the legs to fill in the troughs.

Leo
leopold_bloom

Postby geoffda » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 am

Ken wrote::16+ seconds...are you feet in front of your hips?..... :oops:

Pull your feet strongly behind you every time you crest over the bump. Pull the inside foot strongly back all the time while you're tipping it and tipping it more and more and more.

:18 seconds...where's the tipping? Don't waste a turn.

Yeah, I wondered if anyone would pick that up. Somebody was commenting about the phenomena of skiers reverting to old movements when they are coming to a stop. That was totally me there--I knew I was back, but didn't bother to do anything about it. I remember the internal debate well, [Good skiing self] "You are back, why don't you pull your feet back and recenter?" [Bad skiing self] "Who cares? I'm stopping..." [Good skiing self] "But you look like a gaper, and there is even video to capture this." [Bad old skiing self] "Hmm... Oh well, too late."
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Geoff,

I'm trying to keep up with the forum, but everything is developing so fast I can't.
You caused your problem right from the beginning. The first two turns had no tipping. You began with hip following, so there was no CA in the first two bumps; therefore the skis were flat the whole way around. This caused you to pick up a lot of speed and forced you to become reactive instead of actively controlling the situation. However, then some very good things happened. You began to counteract and you started tipping your skis. The second half of the run was much better. Look at the first two turns, slow them down and check out you leading outside hip. In the second turn, you actually lifted the hip as well as rotated it, which resulted in a flattening of the skis. Stop action the lower turns on the run, to compare, they are much better. And next time, Go over the use of the zoom function with your video friend.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks for the MA Harald. Yeah, one of the things I was messing around with on the first two turns was pulling the tail of the free foot up--but I realized (after the fact) that I was doing the false Phantom when I was trying to do that & was extending the stance leg instead of flexing. So I was all hip and no tip. I'm glad to hear you say that the lower turns were heading in the right direction. Mostly that is what I wanted confirmation on. I'm feeling like I've largely banished the hip tipping and replaced it with feet tipping. I'll try to get some better (and groomer) footage up soon, but I think my video buddy may be a late sign-up for Blue/Dark Blue so it may be a few weeks before I get him back (he's at Vail all this week). Anyway, thanks again for the look.
geoffda

Return to Movement Analysis and Video