Off Piste Skiing

PMTS Forum

Re: Off Piste Skiing

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:It is amazing that no matter where PMTS is done (terrain, conditions, region, etc.) it always looks the same and uses the same good movements.

Using the same movements is the key to skiing all over the mountain. Compare the following pics of two different skiers using PMTS movements on two very different snow surfaces and very different skis:

Heluva on Fischer GS race skis (183cm, 27.6m radius).

Last edited by Max_501 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 pm

serious wrote:Now tell us what did you think of the skis.

The width was more than needed for the conditions we were in, but even so, the ski performed well. Good with BPST and also GS arcs. Because of the width, lots of tipping effort to get them up on edge. They do make nice carved turns off piste and on groomers. A stable ride. Given the width and flex I'd guess they'd be good in pow, but I didn't ski them in anything that was soft so that is just a guess.
Max_501

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting these, Max--they look great! My goal with skiing is to be able to ski stuff like that well, so it's encouraging to see somebody who learned via PMTS doing so. Harald's demos are great for lots of things, but it's hard to shake the thought of "well of course he can do it...he's Harald!". Seeing photos of you ripping up a cool line makes me think that if I can follow your example and do the drills, I might be able to get there someday, too. Please post more of these!
dan.boisvert

What more can one say?

Postby Dr Rick » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Awesome skiing
Dr Rick

Postby 4ster » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Max, Great to see some ski stoke on here! For those who haven't skied on top of Bachelor, there can be some pretty gnarly rime & wind blown conditons. Max just makes it look like sweet snow with solid, accurate, well refined technique.
Thanks,
JF
4ster

Postby joco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 am

Great work Max. I always enjoy your skiing that you post for us. Keep it coming. By the way my sister who is on her annual ski trip to Sun Peaks asked around if any one knew anything about teaching PMTS. The only response she got was that it was a method that might be OK for gentle groomers but when things got serious you would be left high and dry without the skills to ski it. What ludicrous BS. Max your photos prove it and those of us who attempt to ski PMTS style also know otherwise. I know I sound like a scratched record but ...... thank God for Harald and his efforts to show us a better way to ski everywhere on the mountain, even gentle groomers!
joco

Postby zuschauer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:41 am

To any of those folks asking as to which fat skis they should purchase/rent for their trip to Utah etc. The answer is: Just get/develop Max's level of PMTS skill and ski on whatever ski turns you on. (that is: it's the pilot not the machinery )
Try some out and see what works for you and your skill level. If you are not there yet, follow Harald's advice and stay with a "game improvement" ski like the Peak/Monster 78.
Sure, there are many better or worse skis out there, some that you might think "go along" with PMTS, some that are meant to be skied in a very different manner, but if you can ski like Max does in those images.......... :!:

Richard
zuschauer

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am

I should mention that I skied this same run on my IM78 171cm (after demoing the Elan 1010) and I preferred the IM78. These conditions simply didn't call for such a wide ski. What I have found is that I prefer the IM78 shape unless its deep, wet, and heavy snow in which case a wider ski is more fun.
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 am

Max_501 wrote:Using the same movements is the key to skiing all over the mountain. Compare the following pics of two different skiers using PMTS movements on two very different snow surfaces and very different skis:

Heluva on Fischer GS race skis (183cm, 27.6m radius).

When Max first showed me this, I thought it was pretty incredible. The images above are two skiers from very different backgrounds who have never skied together using the exact same movements on totally different types of terrain. The beauty of PMTS is that the roles (terrain) could be reversed with Max on a black groomer and me in bowl with crappy wind-packed snow and we would still demonstrate the same movements and likely the images in the high-c would look exactly the same as they do now. I think that says a lot for PMTS training.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dawgcatching » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Nice parallel shins Max! Lousy photographer though :D
dawgcatching

Postby ibMED » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:44 am

zuschauer wrote: The answer is: Just get/develop Max's level of PMTS skill and ski on whatever ski turns you on.

Richard

Far, far easier said than done.

Helluvaskier will be at Greek next weekend and invited me to join him along with Patprof . Having skied with Greg, I can state with 100% certainty, I will never develop his level of PMTS skiing.

Just be as good as you can become, and, approach it with Max's and Helluva's determination.
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby zuschauer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:49 am

I was just trying to pay Max a compliment, I realize that most of us will be striving for that level for quite a while, and also trying to make the point that is much more important to develop your skills, than to worry what new skis you need to have. (not that new skis aren't nice :D

Richard B
zuschauer

Postby h.harb » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:22 am

Hey Guys, can you make those photos smaller my computer isn't big enough, not even my MAAAACCCC!

So what are you saying here, that all PMTSers ski the same! OH, OH.
h.harb

Postby A.L.E » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Great skiing as always Max! It is amazing that no matter where PMTS is done (terrain, conditions, region, etc.) it always looks the same and uses the same good movements.

Agree, that's what we all love the most about the end result of PMTS.......it looks sensational.
A.L.E

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

I have always said about skiing, "Form follows Function" .You can see a poser from miles away. Once you are PMTS visual you can see the poser look, it stands out. When you see a PMTS skier it's obvious.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System