Counter Timing Video

Counter Timing Video

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:31 pm

In the spirit of keeping MA and Video on this part of the index I copied my last post here.

After I begin releasing, I don't feel tension in my hips, even if I'm holding the counter.

I just threw this together for the topic, but you can see "I hold my counter in many of the arcs until my legs start to retract and cross. No pivot results. You may feel you have to reach neutral before this; everyone is slightly different. In my demonstration here, no pivot results. I don't have that issue, so I can delay counter without pivoting. I think it has to do with holding the edges connecting to the snow using your feet, while the skis are releasing from the edge angles. I don't feel coming to square after my skis are flat; creates a pivot for me in my transition, on this slope. As long as the movements are not too quick, rushed or over energetic. If you slow down WC slalom, in tight arcs, you'll see the same. Not so much in GS.

However in power and crud, I concentrate on countering at the beginning point of flexing, when my skis are releasing. As I said in my first post, some versatility for each situation is built into the system.
h.harb

Re: Counter Timing Video

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Powder & Crud:

I had a bit of success in chunky and soft snow when I skied with Bill in July by extending earlier in the high C. Is this misguided? I had the belief that "maintaining contact" in unstable snow means you need to compress the snow.

Was this misguided? because whatever I was doing felt great.

However in power and crud, I concentrate on countering at the beginning point of flexing, when my skis are releasing.
(H.H.)

May be this is a better thought? Maybe this is what I was actually achieving?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Sounds like you were early countering, but I guess we will see in a few days.
h.harb

Postby Baja1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks for making this vid and its explanation, Harald. Last season, I found it difficult to come square right at flat transition when carving at the speed you're skiing there. To me, it felt most solid to come square just after flat, so I figured there must be something to it, given the speed and momentum.

The format of these new Youtube clips looks really great -- very professional. Keep up the good work!
Baja1

Return to Movement Analysis and Video