Post video for MA or MA of other videos for PMTS viewers

Post video for MA or MA of other videos for PMTS viewers

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:08 pm

In an attempt to make finding topics easier and not get them jumbled up with other running threads, here's a try to make it easier to find them. So if you want your skiing analyzed or you want to post some other video for MA, let's try to keep them here.
h.harb

Re: Post video for MA or MA of other videos for PMTS viewers

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 am

Great idea. Is it possible to move some of the more prominent MA threads from over the years into this forum? I'm thinking of Max's big MA thread, carver_hk's BPST thread, and a few others.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:54 am

I'll check that out, I'll have to go into the gut of the forum modifying program, if anyone already knows how this is done, please post it.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm

h.harb

Postby Hobbit » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:09 pm

h.harb wrote:I'll check that out, I'll have to go into the gut of the forum modifying program, if anyone already knows how this is done, please post it.

This is actually very simple. When you are logged in with Forum Administrator privileges (which I believe is your default), just open the post you intend to move to another place and scroll down to the very bottom. On the right hand side you'll see two pop-up menus one of those saying "quick-mods". On the "quick-mods" menu select "move" and click the "Go" button on the right side of the "quick-mods". Just follow the dialogs and you'll have two options -- move the topic to the new forum or move and leave the shadow copy in the original place.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:12 pm

We are rolling, thanks Hobbit.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 am

Things to consider for MA:

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
Are the feet pulled back at transition?
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
Strong inside arm?
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x-12x zoom which will help with image stability. Disable the digital zoom in the camera menu. If your camera has an optical zoom that exceeds 10-12x try to find a function that locks the zoom at 10x (or as close as you can get).

Using a camera with good OIS and zoom systems helps a great deal. Panning and zooming smoothly is a skill that takes time to develop. You can practice by filming cars (or bikes) coming downhill. Try to find a road that has a 35 MPH limit (give or take) and find a safe place to stand even if it means you have some trees and cars blocking some of your view (sidewalk or in a yard – note that the sidewalk may be too close to the road to get a nice zoom out and smooth pan as the car/bike passes so standing farther away might be a better approximation of filming a skier.) The key is to practice steady smooth zooming out as the subject approaches and then smooth steady panning as the subject passes followed by steady smooth zooming in as the subject pulls away.

Drill - Start with the camera zoomed all the way in (full optical zoom but not to exceed 12x, the subject is far up the hill so will look very small in the viewfinder). As the subject comes toward the camera don't do anything other than move the camera ever so slightly to keep the subject centered until it takes up about half of the frame, at that point begin to smoothly zoom out so you keep the subject roughly the same size and try to keep the subject centered in the frame (avoid big jumps in zoom level). As the subject passes your position you will pan (rotate your body from looking uphill to downhill) while zoomed all the way out and then begin to zoom back in as the subject pulls away, try to keep the subject roughly the same size (about 50% of the frame) for as long as possible.

If you are serious about taking good MA video get a camera with OIS, optical 10-12x zoom, and a viewfinder. While an LCD screen can work in some conditions it makes taking stable video much harder and they are difficult to see on bright sunny days.

Samples of good video for MA purposes:

Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:05 am

Here's a condensed version of the post above to help you get the biggest bang for the buck from video MA.

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, keep filming as the skier passes the camera, and then film at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Use the zoom function and if your camera has that feature to keep the skier roughly the same size all the time. Pan smoothly as the subject passes the camera keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view.

Like this:

Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video