I make better left turn than right turn on Carvers

PMTS Forum

I make better left turn than right turn on Carvers

Postby newskier » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:15 pm

I have problem tipping my right foot. Left turn is rounder and easier for me. I tried moving my right hip to the right and it helps a little. I am only able to tip slightly on my left foot so I think it should not be too hard to do the same on the right. Is it because my left foot is weaker? I won’t have someone to take a video until next week.
newskier

Re: I make better left turn than right turn on Carvers

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:41 pm

I'd really need to see you for an alignment work up, otherwise I'm guessing. Video is the best way.
h.harb

Postby Erik » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 am

I have significant difference in my turns - except my problem is that right turn is better than left.

I have found that it helps when I am starting out the carving session to take a lot of small steps approaching the turn. It seems to help me get started to keep my feet closer, balance more neutral, more focus on shifting weight onto one skate, and focus on trying to get onto the little toe edge of the uphill carver before tipping. This seems to help minimize any gross posture problems which are harder for me to fight on my weaker side.

Erik
Erik

Postby newskier » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 pm

I just found out that I can't skate one footed on my right foot, I kept falling toward big toe edge. There is no problem on left foot.
newskier

Postby Erik » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:31 pm

As Harald said, it could be an alignment problem, and you could not go to a better source to diagnose your alignment.

If you can't skate just on your right foot, can you tell how much you can lighten your weight on your left foot before you lose balance? You may want to try practicing that to see if you can keep getting better at lightening the left foot, or if you find a limit to your performance improvement there.

Erik
Erik

Postby newskier » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Erik, I tried and it is very difficult. I just read chapter 12 of ACBAES 1. It looks like I have a pronating foot. It puts pressure on the BTE boot sidewall when standing.
newskier

Postby Erik » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Custom alignment by Harb Ski Systems (or one of the select bootfitters they recommend) is one of the best investments you can make in your skiing progress. Don't settle for anything less.
Erik

Postby Max_501 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:49 pm

newskier wrote:Erik, I tried and it is very difficult. I just read chapter 12 of ACBAES 1. It looks like I have a pronating foot. It puts pressure on the BTE boot sidewall when standing.

What kind of footbeds do you have in the boots?
Max_501

Postby newskier » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:30 pm

Erik wrote:Custom alignment by Harb Ski Systems (or one of the select bootfitters they recommend) is one of the best investments you can make in your skiing progress. Don't settle for anything less.

I don't think there is one around Tahoe. To be honest, I am a little leery about finding the right boot fitter. I have friend going to a very well respected (on internet) boot fitter but did not get good result. My experience was not good when I was trying to buy a new boot from a very well known store. Now I have found a place to get my boot worked on in a couple of weeks when I go to Tahoe. I hope this will work out.

Max_501 wrote:
newskier wrote:Erik, I tried and it is very difficult. I just read chapter 12 of ACBAES 1. It looks like I have a pronating foot. It puts pressure on the BTE boot sidewall when standing.

What kind of footbeds do you have in the boots?

I don't have one yet. I'll get one later this month
newskier

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Now I have found a place to get my boot worked on in a couple of weeks when I go to Tahoe. I hope this will work out.

Don't waste your money with a non pmts trained boot fitter if you think you have alignment problems.

Is Fresno near enough to Tahoe? It might be worth the drive.

http://harbskisystems.com/alignshop.htm
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby BigE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 pm

It could be good enough to put in a "trim to fit" insole. Some, like Sole, can be heated to conform to your foot, and they are pretty cheap.

Anything more, like posting and correction of excessive foot instability needs a properly trained fitter.

The footbed in your boot is useless. Anything off the shelf will be a remarkable improvement.
BigE

Postby GregM » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:44 pm

BigE wrote:The footbed in your boot is useless. Anything off the shelf will be a remarkable improvement.

If this is a general statement, I would have to disagree. I think this was discussed a few times on this forum. If they put you in the cork type or other rigid footbed molded precisely to your arch (a great sales pitch by the way :-) ) and would lock and immobilize your foot you are finished (in a way of trying to do PMTS technique). With those types of footbeds you are much better off with the original footbed.

So do what MonsterMan says, and I would second that. I bought 3 pairs of boots in 6 years and tried to tweak them myself different ways (and I don't seem to have a problem as severe as you are describing) and guess what -- I just wasted six years of my ski life.

-Greg
GregM

Postby BigE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:50 pm

GregM,

The cork/rigid foot bed you describe is not "off the shelf" -- it is custom.
BigE

Postby GregM » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 pm

OK. I also tried heat moldable footbeds during my "tweaking days" :). Did not work well for me. They might work well for other's though. But in no way I would be able to achieve the fit I got after getting footbeds and boot shims from Harald's shop. Plus they moved me from boot 26.5 which was hurting to 25.5 -- quite a difference.

The problem I see with tweaking boots / foodbeds yourself is that people do not have a reference point and never felt what the proper footbeds and properly canted boots feel like. My experience after getting footbeds / boots from Harald's shop is that I would never be able to achieve comparable results.
GregM

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Just as an added note, whether footbeds are off the shelf or custom, the chances they are right for you, are about 1 in 100. That's the rate which we see coming into our shop.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System