MA request on BPST

Re: MA request on BPST

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:58 pm

How did that slow run feel?

Did you think it looked good?

I think it looked great.

You see Martin, the exercise is not just an exercise. Remember there are no dead end movements. When you linked the releases you were actually skiing your very own bullet proof short turn. Sure you can improve it, just keep practicing those turns.

Well done!

I'm a bit disapointed that you then tried that fast run though. Just stick with the slow stuff for a while.

That's what I reckon anyway.

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby GregM » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:15 pm

Martin,

Compare the first two half turns with the rest of the run. After the first two half turns you are finishing turns less and less. What would happen if you try to maintain the turn finish on the flatter parts?
GregM

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 pm

MonsterMan - I believe I owe you a big thanks! Your hint gave me very good result. I got some very good feeling about the release when I work on the slow linked 2fr. The exercise actually taught me how and when to release so that I can retain how much amount of energy from the previous turns for the next turn, besides getting real time feedback from my feet and hips. A very smooth and easy way to ski under control. So the fast and slow turns can be taken as a test of speed control using EXACTLY the same movements without any kind of Hockey Stop. I ll certainly continue to work on the slow and fast version. Without further advise I will work on a powerful upper body. Currently I m seeing a bit weak. :D

MregM - It was on purpose. The slope is almost flat by about 1/2 way down. So if I finish the turns too much I ll be ended up not able to make turns too soon. If you check the last turns of the slow linked tfr you ll see that I have no more momentum(minimal gravity already) to make more turns even when there are still space for more turns. :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Nicely done guys this is dramatic improvement. It's beginning to move without interruption. Try to get deeper knee bend, it will make transitions smoother. But this is the best I've seen yet. The feet are beginning to make the movements. This is not the same skier that came here a year ago. This is an example of what you can do with dedication to correct movements. Correct practice and training, well done.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Monsterman, great coaching!
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Harald - Thanks for the confirmation of my progress. I m seeing my dream come true soon enough. That is able to ski all mountain without any hesitation and in style. I glad that I rejoined this forum and have received so many valuable helps from you and all those helped. The improvement is way faster then myself could imagine. A hard proof of the effectiveness of PMTS methodology. :D
carver_hk

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 pm

What you have accomplished is due in large part to you determination and practice. However I doubt it would have happened with any other system and this was done through the internet, books and videos. HK has never had a PMTS instructor before him to show him how or to help him with MA. Truly remarkable.
h.harb

Postby onyxjl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Kudos Carver, I have definitely seen then progression in your skiing as well. Keep practicing and posting video!
onyxjl

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Thank you both for the encouragement. :D

In my learning process my impression is like that the PMTS books and video provides a framework with clear description of what is a perfect PMTS turns, how to do it and what drill, mostly with visible cues, to work on to get close to the perfect turns. While the essentials on the other hand helps me to understand the different movements and use it to communicate in PMTS ways to effective check what my skiing went wrong every time I post my video for MA. The forum takes on the role of a real life coach in my case. I m being extremely lucky to have received and is still receiving so much help from the forum.

As directed by Harald I will work on flexing. I m confident that this is the right way to go because Harald is giving me money advise. Thanks again Harald. :D

edit: I forgot to tell how important the HarbCarver is to me. It is simply a great learning tool when I don't want to spend 4 hours traveling to/from the fridge.
carver_hk

Postby tarnaby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 am

Nice work Carver! You mentioned the importance of the Harb Carvers in your most recent post. I'm interested in finding out more about them. 2 questions: (1) is it easy to stop on them; and (2) how are they for when you are skating back up the hill? Thanks.
tarnaby

Postby carver_hk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks for the encouragement. Quick answer to your question.
1. I find it easier to stop by carving uphill, not that difficult, quite easy actually as the gravity is helping you to stop.
2. For uphill I happen to have a video(a while back when Harald advised me to set up a mini course) to show. It's not difficult at all. This one was carvering with my heavy boot. Now I have a dedicated boot with DRILLed ventillation especially for the HC. Its far easier with a pair of the lighter boots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdub5QPioc

I ll say anyone dedicated to the sport not owning a pair of HarbCarver is never know what u missed.

Edit: If I remember correctly I was told the first time I got PMTS tipping when an expert, in private, saw my HC vid. I was so happy at the time, my skiing was improving fast from that time onward. :D
carver_hk

Postby tarnaby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:23 am

carver_hk wrote: I have a dedicated boot with DRILLed ventillation especially for the HC. Its far easier with a pair of the lighter boots.

Do you recommend taking an old pair of boots and drilling some ventillation into them? I suppose I could also just use an old pair of liners on my existing boots.
tarnaby

Postby carver_hk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:38 am

tarnaby wrote:
carver_hk wrote: I have a dedicated boot with DRILLed ventillation especially for the HC. Its far easier with a pair of the lighter boots.

Do you recommend taking an old pair of boots and drilling some ventillation into them? I suppose I could also just use an old pair of liners on my existing boots.
The only thing I have concern is alignment. With a set of new wheels(which is easy) and provided your alignment is valid the feedback on your carvering is valid. I guess the other factors shouldn't affect as much. So I ll say you have to be careful with your alignment. I was lucky enough to have my alignment fixed when I work on my HC. When u can make a good turn with it you r close to getting PMTS tipping. Thats what I was told and I believe it. :D
carver_hk

Postby Erik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:15 pm

tarnaby wrote:Do you recommend taking an old pair of boots and drilling some ventillation into them?

I would recommend taking them off your feet before drilling. :)
Erik

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:30 pm

I would recommend taking them off your feet before drilling.

Did you have a bad experience Erik???
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video