release on carvers

PMTS Forum

release on carvers

Postby jclayton » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:03 am

When skiing I feel the release quite differently to when on carvers due to the difference in rebound or spring . On carvers it is difficult to feel any rebound at all when flexing .

Is this good in that you have to flex more actively ?

Is it bad in that there is a big difference in the feel ?

What sensations do others have in this part of the turn on carvers ?

Could this rebound be built into future carvers ?

Iam talking about the normal release as in the Super Phantom , not the weighted release where rebound is not so important ( IMHO )

Movements at this point seem to have to be a lot more subtle on carvers than on skis .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Add slope and speed

Postby Harald » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:44 pm

Jclayton asked the following:

When skiing I feel the release quite differently to when on carvers due to the difference in rebound or spring . On carvers it is difficult to feel any rebound at all when flexing .

Is this good in that you have to flex more actively ?

Is it bad in that there is a big difference in the feel ?

What sensations do others have in this part of the turn on carvers ?

Could this rebound be built into future carvers ?

I am talking about the normal release as in the Super Phantom , not the weighted release where rebound is not so important ( IMHO )

Movements at this point seem to have to be a lot more subtle on carvers than on skis .

My answer to all the questions is in the single word, “SPEED”

Simple word gets complicated quickly when you explain the reasons. So without getting too complicated speed and sharper direction changes will give you rebound on Harb Carvers. We have observed numerious national level racers and a former gold medallist using the Carvers with amazing rebound. If you follow the following criteria, you will find rebound and energy in your Carver turns. Use the Carvers on a 5 to 6 percent slope. Set up gates or markers on the road, off set them five feet to each side of the vertical falline. Vertical distance between markers should be fifteen to twenty feet. If you connect turns in this set up, you have to begin to feel rebound as you are building enough energy under the wheels that will need either a phantom release or retraction (weighted) release. You can accomplish these turns on any of the three models. I hope this helps, as we have encountered the same questions from others using the Carvers. It sands to reason that skiers want to feel under control. Carver users might want to be even in more control given the surface. I recommend you up your slope angle and your speed, but do it gradually. Make sure you feel comfortable at every level before you move to the next.
Harald

Postby piggyslayer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:04 am

Just to add 2 cents:
I noticed that 3 degree slope with smooth surface maintains speed quite well.

I simply use regular skating stroke to gain initial speed before I hit the gates. You can gain more and more initial speed this way and this should be a good progression without using steeper run (I you do not have easy access to such or simply you want to be more in control).

Duck tape slalom on Carver is a bliss.

My Question: What is the biggest angle you can hope with with Carvers. I seem to feel that I am loosing the edge if I skate on steep roads and angulate more. I am not sure what are exactly the angles are causing the grip loss (hard to feel how much egde angle causes it but I think the angles have to be sharper than 45-50 degs).
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby jclayton » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:23 pm

Right , I'm off now to add some speed ( putting on all my pads )

Would it be possible to see some clips of these racers doing aggressive fallline turns on Harb Carvers ? Or is this for Expert Skier 3 ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby harald » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:11 pm

jclayton

Skisynergy has posted some links to aggressive Harb Carving, check his links on this forum. I don't have any footage of real gate training, except what we have on our web site, which is from last summer. Hope to have a DVD soon, combining Harb Carving with skiing exercises.

When you add a little more slope and speed, you will begin to feel the resistance building under the wheels. Use the grip to step or extend out of the turn. You can find what you are looking for when you add new and different experiences to your Carving reportoire. Be mindful in your carving that an early edge angle in the high C part of the arc is part of building pressure under the wheels, just like a turn on snow. Someone commented that he was skidding on steeper slopes. This is an indication of late pressure building and twisting of the leg, foot and boot. Those who can't feel their edges well enough on snow this late pressuring without noticing but on Harb Carvers you will notice it immediately. You won't find the faint-of-heart and tail-pusher skiers who are already satisfied looking for better releasing on a pair of Carvers.

HH
harald

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System