9.8 milion feet of vertical for the year and still going

PMTS Forum

9.8 milion feet of vertical for the year and still going

Postby SkierSynergy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:33 pm

This last Sunday, I rode up the lift with a Mt. Hood regular. His name is Rainer (sp?). He is a groomer from Copper Mountain. During the winter, he grooms at night and skis every day.

About two years ago he broke a leg and as part of his rehab he just skied as many runs as he could, over and over. Well, to keep the story short, that put an idea in his head and this year he decided to ski as much vertical as he could.

The people at Copper knew he was keeping track with his watch and also by the number of runs and can verify his stats. By the end of May he had passed the 6 million feet of vertical mark. He broke off skiing in CO, flew from Denver and was skiing Hood and the the next day.

He has continued to make run after run without breaks or stops (7 AM to 1:30 and beyond, every day) and when I talked with him last weekend he had just passed the 9.8 million feet of vertical mark and had skied 290 consecutive days. If the lift is down he hikes a few. He is on his way to S. America to finish out the season there. Guiness has contacted him and is interested in his story. For the most part he doesn't care. It's a personal thing for him. He is more than happy to ski millions of feet of vertical in unkown obscurity, all funded on his grroming work and a credit card -- this is soul skiing! One more thing, he is doing it all on Telemark gear.

Just something to think about as you sit in the heat of your office working like a dog so you can ski for a few weeks next year.

I'l try to post a picture of him on my site.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Picture of Rainer and curent conditions on the Palmer

Postby SkierSynergy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:11 pm

Here is a picture of Rainer on the lift.

For all of you still looking for a place to do some turns. Here is the Palmer last Sunday (8/14/2004) -- Wide open and empty. There is still a lot of nice hard carving snow left.

note skiers from a Canadian camp doing the "power plow" exercises that I mentioned in another thread.[/img]
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System