Help me understand the first PMTS lesson

PMTS Forum

Postby *SCSA » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:05 pm

skier_j,

I'd say those skis are too tall for you.
I'm 6'2, I'm on 177's. The tip comes up to the bridge of my nose.

But what the #$%6 do I know? :wink:
*SCSA

Postby *SCSA » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:04 am

If there are those that can't stomach a little kidding around or off-color humor, go...post at gapic.

I type something cleaner than what's on network tv (forget about cable, I wouldn't even go that far) and your undies get all in a wad. In fact, my worst lines are cleaner than the message in most beer ads!

If you wanna whine, or you want plain vanilla stuff, this aint the place for ya. Ya wanna learn about the best ski instruction system on the planet ski while mixing it up with some colorful characters? Then this is the place.

Nuff said. Back to the regularly scheduled programming now.

It's a beautiful day here in Eagle County, I hope it is wherever you are. :)
*SCSA

Postby skier_j » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:12 am

I was just pulling your chain SCSA, geez calm down. :shock:
Whee!
skier_j

Postby skier_j » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:23 am

On the Head ski length advice, still too long?

Really at 170? I agree my 177's are too long---first foray into modern ski's and I coulnd't get myself to go any shorter than that at the time, from 203 to 177 was tough on the ego back then.

I've demo'd quite a few narrow waisted (under 68 ) SL and Cross type skis in lengths down to 160 and they are fun at short turns.

I thought a good compromise woould be somewhere in the 170 range for a good all around ride on something 70ish underfoot.

Maybe I better wait and demo some first? Sometimes inexpensive gets expensive when you have to replace them when they are not quite right.
Whee!
skier_j

Postby skier_j » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:25 am

Suebrown,

sorry for the hijack,

back to the regularily scheduled thread!
Whee!
skier_j

Carvers

Postby skier_j » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:20 am

Suebrown

How did the session with the carvers go? :?:
Whee!
skier_j

Postby jclayton » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:22 pm

WOW , SCSA ,
talk about kneejerk reactions , your posts are lively but give some of these guys a chance to see the light .

what about a bit of calm zen acceptance of the dark side thats really in all of us .

Didn't Ott prescribe some pills

J.Clayton
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby *SCSA » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:43 am

jclayton,

I lost the pills that Ott gave me.
But I just found them. :wink:

All is better now. :lol:

I guess I'm so used to the "other site", where no one seems to be able to laugh at life, themselves, or anything else.

All is good.

Next time I'll count to...1000! :)
*SCSA

Postby Ott Gangl » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:25 am

SCSA, there is a nut on the 'other site' whom some accused to be you, but we know you and we like you (when you take your meds :D ) and we have skied with you and know that you are good and we know what you look like. Not so with that guy. That guy must have frequented here because he claimes that instructors can't ski, well most, and that military style teaching makes the best skiers.

Now we know better, it is practice that makes prfect, and you are a prime example of that.

Nice talking to you again.... .....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby Lisa » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:38 pm

The "nut on the other site" is probably Dr. Go, formerly banned from Epic for writing Private Messages to women containing threats of violence. It is most definitely NOT SCSA, who is a good friend of mine. The nut on the other site is a total misogynist. SCSA is not!
Lisa

Postby *SCSA » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:20 am

So somebody was sending out nasty emails claiming to be me? That's f'd up.

When AC accused me of that, I had no idea what he/she/it was talking about. I always wondered why AC was so peed at me. I guess now I know.

AC. If you're reading this, that wasn't me. You should reconsider your decision now.

I hope whoever did that gets some help.
Too weird. :roll:

LM,
See ya on the 21st!
*SCSA

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:07 am

Lisa ,
you mean S.C.S.A. is only a partial misogynist .

When is the A - Basin camp , see if I can drag my carcass over from Mallorca and meet some real rippers . Getting a bit tired of all this hot weather and liquid snow and work . Not only is the snow liquid its also flat .

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:56 am

SCSA is not a misogynist. BTW, Big E, if you are reading this, thanks for putting that thread on Epic back on track! :)

back to hockey stop

Postby piggyslayer » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:16 am

This was Chicken trying to post on computer that piggyslayer was logged in.
Will repost next...
Last edited by piggyslayer on Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

back to hockey stop

Postby chicken » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:27 am

Sue,

I will put a spin from someone not-as-skilled as other posters here.
I never had a problem with stopping using PMTS, but I do not think I am using the hockey stop the way you describe it. I may be wrong, but I think the motions involved in such a stop are contrary to PMTS way of skiing.

What I do - if I can still remember the feeling - is tip inside leg to LTE very agressively, and make an exxagerated counter-rotation, wchih puts both skis on very sharp angles. At the same time, I am conscious of keeping my skis close both lenghtwise and sideways (narrow stance, ankles of both legs close together). On narrow steeps, this may not be always enough to stop, but then I just do another such turn to the opposite direction.

I described the"ideal" way which admittedly does not happen for me every time. But as I said, I never had a problem coming to a stop when I wanted. Sometimes it is more gracefully, sometimes less, but it works every time

I am very curious about your experience with carvers. I just started learning carvers, and so far it is tougher than skiing, but develops my awareness of tipping etc quite a lot. Let us know how it went! BTW, in my opinion, PRO model is easier than slalom (tried bth)
chicken

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System