Rating slopes for Carvers

PMTS Forum

Rating slopes for Carvers

Postby BigE » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:57 am

I've watched the videos, and see many on very mild, almost flat terrain. Why?

Secondly, How to rate a slope?

Green = 0 - x degrees
Blue = x-?? etc....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
BigE

Postby piggyslayer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:12 am

What is a practical way to measure slope angle?
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby BigE » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:19 am

One way is to use a protractor and a string....

Another with a level and a ruler....

Another with a protractor, string with weight and straw.... You tape the straw to the straight part of the protractor, and look through to the top of the slope. The string with weight is attached to the reference hole of the protractor; the origin of the scale if you will... You can then read off the angle where the string intersects the scale. The slope in degrees is then 90 - angle.
BigE

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:36 pm

BigE:

OK, I done some measurements. I do not know how to classify green/blue/black, the fact is that each ski resort has different idea of what is green and what is black. But this should give you a rough idea.

To make decent turns on Carvers, as on skis you need to have some momentum going.
Whether the Carvers will maintain speed depends not only on steepness but also on how smooth is the surface. Smooth sealed asphalt makes not only for pleasant experience and less wheel wear but it helps in maintaining decent speed. So you can go with smaller pitch if surface is smooth.

Carvers will roll on smooth surface with as little as 1 deg slope. This has feeling similar to flat bunny slope and is good for tipping drills. You can make more advanced turns on such slope if you gain some speed first, but after 3-4 turns the speed deteriorates and you will be back into more conservative green run turns.

I normally state on a 3 deg pitch, just because it is the only low traffic road with relatively good surface and pitch close to my house. Turning on this is similar to easy blue run. The fun starts if I get more initial speed with skating stoke. The 3 deg pitch will maintain your speed quite well, so if you don?t mind accelerating on your own first, it will make for good all-purpose run.

My favorite run is next to my friends house, quite far from my house, and is about 4-5 deg pitch with very nice smooth asphalt. It still reminds me of a blue run, however, it is easier to make more aggressive turns on it.

Never tried anything steeper, if I find something with low traffic and good surface I will.

So probably 0-1 is bunny green, 1-2 is green, 2-x is blue, where x>5.
I know, it is not San Francisco steep, is it. I believe experienced Carver user with good wheels (they have to grip well) can make it in SF. This would probably be double black 8) .
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby BigE » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:40 am

Thanks for the measurements! I was very confused watching the kids on the "flats". I thought that slopes would have to be far steeper than 2 or 3 degrees for carving to be effective. Glad to see it's not so!

Cheers!
BigE

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System