Bikram Yoga: Seriously, have a look at it.

Bikram Yoga: Seriously, have a look at it.

Postby porthacking » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I was dragged along to a Bikram Yoga class in August 2007. For anyone who can get to a studio, give it a go I think it would be very beneficial for skiing.

For those who don't know, Bikram Yoga is hot sweaty Yoga performed a very hot and sometimes very humid room. The class goes for 90 minutes and follows a set of postures: it is the same every class. Unlike Ashtanga Yoga there is a strong bias on back, leg, and abdominal strength and flexibility.

I am not a Yoga person (dragged along against my will) but I have to say that this is different. I took the First Timers Deal (AUD20 for 10 days) and have to say that the change in my fitness was staggering. My core strength, flexibility, balance, and strength all improved out of sight. I was fit and strong when I started the class.

Specifics:
- For the entire class your heart rate is high, and when you are in the postures (some in particular) your heart rate goes through the roof. You get a very strong cardio work out.
- In ten days I went from not being able to touch my toes with straight legs to being able to rest my head on my knees!
- Balance and leg strength (and leg size) improved substantially. I have a problem with the muscle on my left leg and on day one could not contract my quad without pain, and when I did it was spongy and weak (a big problem for my skiing). After ten days I could contract my quad and sustain it for more than a minute. There was absolutely no pain and the muscle was a solid as a rock.

I could go on, but I wont. Have a look at Bikram. It doesn't matter how unfit, sick, or overweight you are.
porthacking

Re: Bikram Yoga: Vinyasa Yoga 2

Postby mvalbusa » Sun May 15, 2011 8:24 am

I have yet to check out Bikram, but I routinely do Vinyasa Yoga 3 to 4 times a week, along with one or two spin classes on the side.
Yoga is a the best life enhancing - longevity- ski conditioning thing around.

Mind-Body-Breath--> and good snow :wink:
mvalbusa

Re: Bikram Yoga: Seriously, have a look at it.

Postby midwif » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I have been doing vinyasa for 10+years.

Tried the bikram this summer

Hated it.

L.
midwif

Return to Fitness