Essentials of Skiing intro pdf

PMTS Forum

Essentials of Skiing intro pdf

Postby h.harb » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:17 pm

h.harb

Postby vseh » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:07 am

Hi Harald
Is your concept to put the entire "Essentials" into pdf format for download?
The B&W images look great on computer screen, better than in the hardcopy
Shawn Richards
vseh

Postby rlspalding » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:43 am

I have both "Any one can be an expert skier" books. I wish both books and the Essentials would be available in a pdf format onlilne. The problem is when I go skiing, I always bring my laptop with me as a carry on, but I usually dont have room to put two or three books in my back pack.

If I these were available on line where you pay a 1 time subscription (obviously the cost of the book) for unlimited access to that book, I would definitely do it. It would be well worth it.
rlspalding

Re: Essentials of Skiing intro pdf

Postby fredm8 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:17 am

Harald,

If you are going to put some effort into technology, then my suggestion would be to put all the video into a format that can be carried on a video iPod, so that between runs you can pull it to go over the practice for the drills.
Douglas

From the land of the long white cloud, a land down under.
fredm8

Postby Petter_F » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:24 am

Out of interest, is there a way for Harald to do this without undermining his own sales?

As far as I know, as soon as anything goes digital it isn't that difficult for hundreds to start a free for all. It only takes one (with lesser morals) to make it available for downloading. Maybe there are ways to copy-protect files, I don't know, obviously I don't buy music online as they must have this covered by now; or do they?
Petter_F

Postby vseh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 am

Petter_F wrote:Out of interest, is there a way for Harald to do this without undermining his own sales?

As far as I know, as soon as anything goes digital it isn't that difficult for hundreds to start a free for all. It only takes one (with lesser morals) to make it available for downloading. Maybe there are ways to copy-protect files, I don't know, obviously I don't buy music online as they must have this covered by now; or do they?

I for one, hate to give anything away that I've paid for. Commercial DVD's are typically encrypted to stop easy copying and music similarly has built in Digital Rights Management though this has broken down in the last 6 months or so. It's relatively easy to convert a DVD to iPod suitable format. I've done this with the old videotapes (converting initially to DVD). I would certainly want to export the new Essentials DVDs to an iPod.
I currently carry a laminated A6 card with a list of the various exercises.
Shawn Richards
vseh

Postby rlspalding » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:37 am

Petter_F wrote:Maybe there are ways to copy-protect files, I don't know, obviously I don't buy music online as they must have this covered by now; or do they?

Im a computer geek hobbiest, and I will tell you pretty much any copy-protected files are cracked within 24 hours of release. Heck, the relatively new HD-DVD incryption was cracked within hours. It is too bad, because I am a firm believer of buying material too. I know I used to download music, but I had a change of heart a couple of years ago and the only digital media I have is music from cd's which I own. As a result, I have an extensive CD collection of over 500 albums...lol

The easiest way to for piracy is when you make the media available for iPod upload or something similar. Otherwise Harald could have a website with video that is embedded into the website. This makes it much harder to pirate, and would probably eliminate 97% of the population.

Its too bad because even the DVD that is coming will be ripped (even if it has some sort of protection), because its not too hard to do. To be honest, when I buy the DVD I will probably rip it myself so that I can put it on my computer and iPod (which is totally legal), however, I do not distribute or share any of my media.
rlspalding

Postby hayduke » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 am

its very easy to scan your own copy of hh's books, compress it, and put it on your own computer for travel.
ditto for the dvd's. you could even watch them on your video portable player.
hayduke

Postby jounderw » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 am

Hey thanks for this links. Yeah its nice that it is in the .PDF form so that its easily accessible for most people and its a fairly resourceful and meaty guide that can help the most beginner of skiers. Thanks for the above links again - Just printed two of these off for my teenage nieces that are new to skiing and joining us on our ski trip here in a couple weeks.
jounderw

Postby nickia » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Harald, while I agree PDF format is convenient, I believe staying "hardcopy only" prevents pirating. :!:

If you want to review materials on the slope, you can type/write keypoints on a paper and bring it with you. :wink:
nickia

Postby h.harb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks, You are right. I'm sure our DVDs are being pirated as we speak.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:47 am

You can watch the DVDs and improve your skiing somewhat but without the expert coaching you get at a PMTS camp you will never make big improvements in your skiing.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 am

skijim13 wrote:You can watch the DVDs and improve your skiing somewhat but without the expert coaching you get at a PMTS camp you will never make big improvements in your skiing.

Camps are fantastic but I disagree with that statement. Just look at Heluva as an example, he had never been to a camp before I skied with him and he ripped. Sure, he made some improvement based on my feedback but they were small improvements.
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System