Watch this before going on Harb Carvers

PMTS Forum

Watch this before going on Harb Carvers

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfK1tqL9JMY&feature=related

Some people say that Harb carvers are Dangerous. I say no way.

Now this video might be concerning enough to think twice.
h.harb

Postby 4Slide » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:55 am

I'm surprised the Austrians let them get away with inclining that much. :lol:

Incredible stuff.

Any chance of a Harb Carver intro model suitable for boots down to 210mm? Has anyone heard about them being modded down for smaller boots?

Happy New Year!
-J
4Slide

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:42 am

This is a new one on me, we have never fixed a Carver to a boot that small. The model to use would be the Slalom version, but you would have to modify the binding. If you wanted to use a Pro model you could put on a "short ski" binding (they don't have a release). If you can find a used rental Salomon short ski, that binding would work, I've used them for our prototypes.

On the Slalom model, the toe location is OK, but the heel needs to be moved forward, as the boot needs to be centered on the Carver chassis. The present heel location is too far back for a 210mm boot sole.
If you are interested, we could do the modifications.
h.harb

Postby 4Slide » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 am

The hazards of posting early on New Years: the boots are 257mm boot sole length/ 21 mondopoint. :oops: I'm picking up the slalom model. Thanks!

edit: http://www.landyachtz.com/D113.cfm more fun downhill skateboard footage.
-J
4Slide

Postby 4Slide » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:59 am

2 days' sessions on the slalom carvers in a flat driveway have been very interesting. Kid#1 has a tendency to lean in on an A-framed inside ski, and because when you do this on the carvers you simply go straight there's been very fast progress towards using more of a tipping/weighted release. Slow speeds and flat driveway have also made, movement-wise, for the dynamic equivalent of the dryland counterbalance drills that have been shown in some threads (hips displaced but shoulders back over the outside skate to stay balanced). For myself my sides definitely got worked using them.

It'll be fun to see how the usage translates onto snow over the next couple weekends.
-J
4Slide

Postby Icanski » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 pm

I keep thinking of the old commercials: this is your mind, this is your mind on drugs. Only here it's "they have no minds, these are their minds on Austrian beer."
I wonder how many of them don't make some of those corners with the stone walls, or those big drops offs...
I just hope my daughter never meets them, and starts talking with them, and brings them home.....knock on wood.....
especially the guy sliding on his hands headfirst with his feet on the board heading straight into a dark tunnel....Darwin awards nominees, all of them...
Icanski the old fogey
Icanski

Postby 4Slide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:19 am

Icanski wrote:...
I just hope my daughter never meets them, and starts talking with them, and brings them home.....knock on wood.....

Send her to ski camps for the summer, the guys there will generally be pretty tame sorts. 8) Actually, as a Dad I also feel your pain. :!:
-J
4Slide

Postby Bolter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:56 am

Catskills wrote: Slow speeds and flat driveway have also made, movement-wise, for the dynamic equivalent of the dryland counterbalance drills that have been shown in some threads (hips displaced but shoulders back over the outside skate to stay balanced). For myself my sides definitely got worked using them.

It'll be fun to see how the usage translates onto snow over the next couple weekends.

What age kids?

Tipping, counterbalance and counteraction are are the ticket for high C engagement. I bet you will see these movements transfer to on snow with your kids.

Testimonial . . .
Select J1 team members (Canaan Timberline Race Team and WVU) traveled to Denton Hill PA for SL (very steep, hard eastern pack/ice) and had great results (1st, 3rd and 4th). Their training from the start of this season was founded on Harald's Essentials. Mark Fiorini (L4 (?) ussa) coached all these kids from J6 up to first year J2. He told the club President (team parent of two J1s) that they have never skied as well as they did this weekend.
These kids can (now) get High C positive edge engagement and know that the skis will grip through the turn. How? Flex to release, LTE- foot inversion, Counter balance (CB) and counteraction (CA). These ski actions and body movements came from drills: stationary tipping on flat, on incline, in boots, on skis; Boot reach for CB, boot touch for flexion to release, tuck turns for CA, hopping edge changes, and more (read the book).

An assessment procedure focused on the actions of the skis (Release-Transfer-Engagement) and corresponding body movements reveal efficiency or inefficiency. This points to the (primary or secondary movements) Essential that needs work and the exercises to fix the glitch. The drills started every practice, everyone had their own SMIM and drill to address it. I watched our entire team change their skiing. The drills became a part of their movements while skiing, WOW! Thanks Harald!

I can not wait to train (dry land) the team on carvers.
Last edited by Bolter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bolter

Postby 4Slide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am

8 for the kid on the carvers. I agree there should be transfer to snow; what the most noticeable effect will be, we'll see, I think it'll be on helping with counteracting.

Congrats on the great results for your program! That says a lot!
-J
4Slide

Postby BigE » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:43 pm

Catskills wrote:8 for the kid on the carvers

Beware:there is a +/- 2 year development range for any child.

IF 8 IS CORRECT: that means SOME kids can start as early as 6 or 7, others only at 9 or 10.

Certainly by 11, BUT ONLY IF 8 or 9 is CORRECT.
BigE

Postby 4Slide » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 am

I'd say coordination-wise this is a middle of the pack 8 year old, with some exposure to skateparks etc. So far it doesn't seem an issue and the sessions have been fun.
-J
4Slide

Re: Watch this before going on Harb Carvers

Postby 4Slide » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:16 pm

New forum looks great, much thanks to Hobbit.

Definite, very noticeable translation to the snow from the carvers, kid's coaches actually remarked on it too. Will report back after working on some technique over the next couple weeks.
-J
4Slide

Postby Bolter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 am

HARALD'S program outline has produced great results for our J3,4 and 5 racers this weekend in SL and GS. All finished in the top eleven both days with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th and 11th during the two days of SL and GS. If you want results in racing or all mountain skiing PMTS is the only system that will give it to you.

I am now training several ATS (PSIA) instructors to prepare for upcoming PSIA exams. When they see video (of their free skiing) and the wedge entry is a part of every turn, they all want to get rid of it. But how? I can tell you for sure that the Wedge Christie refinement does not make it go away. Like I said in another thread, these skiers must change their movements to parallel ski consistently. Do you think an examiner will tell them how to fix their skiing? NO! A few may, most do not know how and the rest are hiding behind their pins, worm in their long underwear.
Bolter

Postby Bolter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 am

HARALD'S program outline has produced great results for our J3,4 and 5 racers this weekend in SL and GS. All finished in the top eleven both days with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th and 11th during the two days of SL and GS. If you want results in racing or all mountain skiing PMTS is the only system that will give it to you.

I am now training several ATS (PSIA) instructors to prepare for upcoming PSIA exams. When they see video (of their free skiing) and the wedge entry is a part of every turn, they all want to get rid of it. But how? I can tell you for sure that refinement of the Wedge Christie maneuver does not make it go away. Like I wrote in another thread, these skiers must change their movements, to parallel ski consistently. Do you think an examiner will tell them how to fix their skiing? NO! A few may, most do not know how and the rest are hiding behind their pins, worm in their long underwear.
Last edited by Bolter on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolter

Postby 4Slide » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 am

Bolter wrote:HARALD'S program outline has produced great results...

I can't find his program outline now but that, along with his post in the current "Group Lesson" thread, could well be a sticky...or to avoid forum clutter maybe a "coaching best practices" PDF.
-J
4Slide

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System