Friends get together

Postby carver_hk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Just want to introduce myself. I m a keen recreational skier from Hong Kong. I am all mountain oriented. But the first thing I want to fix is my carving. Looking forward to benefit from discussion with all the experts here. :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Welcome to the Forum

Postby Hobbit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:48 am

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have Harald's books / DVD's ?
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am

Hobbit - Thanks. Yes, I do. I was recommended by BigE to buy the Essential. And was introduced to join this forum. :)
carver_hk

Postby Hobbit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 pm

I hope you are enjoying reading Essentials, it's a great book.
I suggest you also read the book 1 especially since you are in HK and I am not sure how the boot fitting and alignment is done over there. Here in US it's like playing a lottery :). In most cases you just can't get what you need. I've seen on epic professionals recommending canting in the opposite direction to what is actually required. So educate yourself. The book 1 will give you at least an idea about alignment issues. Many PMTS drills are hard if not impossible if the alignment is way off.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Hobbit - I ll check up the bookshops. :)
- I dont buy boots in Hong Kong. Last boot I bough is from Chamonix, France. I might get a new one soon. This time I will pay special attention to the canting. I imagine that if the canting is not right, one might get problem when both skis are flat at the very moment of transition. may be somewhere else?
carver_hk

Postby Hobbit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:59 pm

The whole chapter 12 in the book 1 is describing the alignment basics. It is mostly focusing on the symptoms for the multiple possible conditions. So I would not say it?s only the problems with the transition but other things as well. My understanding is that in various situations you rely on the compensating movements if the alignment is off. If you are aligned properly, you can balance with the small movements of your feet otherwise the other body parts movements are involved. The way the knee tracks during the leg flexion/extension is also very important because if it is not straight, it may cause the change in the ski direction.

Harb Ski Systems do have a detailed boot fitter manual but it's not available for sale (it goes only to the participants of the boot technicians camp that they conduct). Usually HSS boot fitting sessions also include on-snow evaluation.

Another option for you is to post the video of your skiing here if you suspect any issues with alignment. On many occasions I have seen Harald giving his evaluation of the alignment issues based on the video.

I am not saying that you have an alignment problem. I was just trying to bring your attention to the possible problems because most skiers are just oblivious to these issues. Life is short and you may waste years in training without realizing that the real issue is a slight alignment change. The other interesting point is that PMTS method does concentrate on the purity of the skiing movements and alignment issues are usually exposed in the very beginning. In contrast, the traditional coach will make you do some compensating movements in order to overcome the alignment problems.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:00 am

Hobbit - I already sent a PM to Harald for his evaluation.
- I understand what you mean by life is short. It can only be too true. :)
carver_hk

Return to Social Chatting