OK - A-basin next week question

PMTS Forum

OK - A-basin next week question

Postby John Mason » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:32 am

We are doing a road trip to A-basin. Myself and my Son and 2 beginner skiers. One has never skied the other has skied once.

Now for the questions:

1. what is the conditions of the lower a-basin on the green areas
2. the beginner (I'll edit this and add a picture later) is a master cheerleader at the college level and can easily hold the gal on one arm and toss them to the other one. In other words, his is a big guy. Specifically, he is about 350 lbs. What type of ski can we rent? He is about 5' 10'.

If the bottom of a-basin is a pile of slush, then we'll probably just leave the newbies home and fly out.

Thanks!
John Mason

Come on - 19 views and no opinions

Postby John Mason » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:45 pm

1 - recommended ski for a 350 muscular 5 foot 11 monster for 1st lesson
and
2 - how are the greens at a-basin - slush rutted mess, or groomed nice in the am (I note it was 13 degrees at a-basin at 5am this morning)

Need to know before I bring this guy out for the party (actually the day before)
John Mason

Postby *SCSA » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:48 pm

JM,

The snow can get real weird @ the Basin. But I don't see why you can't bring the whole crew w/you???

So you coming next Saturday, May 1 then?
*SCSA

Hi SCSA

Postby John Mason » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:52 pm

It's like this - if 4 of us are comming we are vanning it and pulling a 19 hour drive.

But if 2 of us won't enjoy the skiing then perhaps it would be better if 2 of us FLEW out and got 3 days of skiing in and more sleep.

So an actual green condition report would be helpful. I don't want these newbies doing one ski traverses on a rutted slushy mess. Maybe it starts ok and stinks by noon. That would still be ok.

(check later tonight and I'll edit the post and put John Smileys picture up)

And - which ski for a 5'll'' 350 pound muscular guy?
John Mason

Skis

Postby A Visitor » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:17 pm

Did you describe 5"11" , three-fie-oh as muscular?

Might I suggest A FAT SKI

or

perhaps two snowboards mounted with ski bindings
A Visitor

350 lbs muscular people

Postby John Mason » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:27 pm

A fat ski - hmmm - could be a pun, or might not be a bad idea.

He has a little fat.

Let's see if I can describe him better.....

His arms are bigger than most people's legs and have no fat.

He takes 130 pound gals and they stand on one of his hands and he tosses them like twinkies to the other hand with ease in his cheerleading routines.

His arm muscles are so big, when he straightens his arm, its about 20 degrees bent. That's as far as it goes.

A fat ski would probably act like a carving ski in terms of for him. I have a pair of 6 stars that are pretty stiff, but I don't want him to bend them.
John Mason

John Smiley

Postby John Mason » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:25 pm

http://www.fototime.com/0D8CA3E0E92E53A/orig.jpg

5' 11'' 350 lbs - ski recommendations?
John Mason

Postby *SCSA » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:15 am

Okay, so John Mason will be @ the Basin next Saturday May 1!

:arrow: Neato!

We're there! :D

So John. I'm not easy to miss. :lol: But to make matters easier, get my digits from HH. Then I'll get yours.

Then I'll have my people get a hold of your people. :lol:
*SCSA

Postby Bluey » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:14 am

John,

What about some elbow guards to cover for those unexpected/unintended spills??

Bluey.........
Bluey

Postby Hobbit » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:54 am

Hey John,

I left you a PM but is seem to sit in the out box for couple of days. Check if you can retrieve it.

Hobbit
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby *SCSA » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:45 pm

I'm @ the Basin Friday and Saturday.
*SCSA

Re: Come on - 19 views and no opinions

Postby BigE » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:48 am

John Mason wrote:1 - recommended ski for a 350 muscular 5 foot 11 monster for 1st lesson
and
2 - how are the greens at a-basin - slush rutted mess, or groomed nice in the am (I note it was 13 degrees at a-basin at 5am this morning)

Need to know before I bring this guy out for the party (actually the day before)

Just guessing: Rossi Scratch BC may work well.
BigE

won't be there -

Postby John Mason » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:34 pm

:cry:

Won't be there for the party. This is my son Dan's week off between terms. He has 24 credit hours he is doing in the next 4 months then he is moving to Georgia. We spent the early part of the week and other family things on the road from last friday to late tuesday night.

He just want to chill here. So, here is where I'll be. He is tripped out. Now, I'm just trying to decide where to ski next. Back to Hood in August for a week at Atomic Race Camp, or down to Chili or Australia. Dan, my son, is going to only be doing one independent study in August, and wants to ski a week then.

Till then it's carvers, wobble boards, race bike training, core excersizes (which are proving to be very good for my on again off again back). So next season I'll be ready for more and then some.

Oh, on the carvers, anyone think it's a good idea to create a summer ski boot just for them? My ski boot gets real hot. Maybe I'll just drill a bunch of ventilation holes, or strap on a bunch of cold paks.
John Mason

Postby *SCSA » Sun May 02, 2004 9:31 am

Hey Brick Layer (aka John Mason),

You missed it. What a loser you are! :P

I don't know if ya heard or not, but I met up weeth Rooski. Him and I hung out @ the Basin Friday and Saturday.

:arrow: We made all kinds of turnz! :D

The Rooski was followin me around like a puppy dog. "Good Roosk, good rooski." :lol:

Nah really, we had a blast -- wish you'd have made it. Now don't let me find out you come out to CO next year and not look me up! I hear you come out here a lot? Ya need to be hangin out w/the Rooski and I! I'll have ya rippin around the Big Show in no time! I already got the Rooski rippin up Pali! The Rooski is on fire!

"I preedict beeg things for Rooski, neext yeeer." :lol:

The Rooski and I are like Felix and Oscar. Guess who's Oscar?
*SCSA

big show?

Postby John Mason » Sun May 02, 2004 5:50 pm

I'm assuming the big show is the term referring to vail?

I've been to a-basin,breck,copper, beaver creek, and winterpark.

I haven't been to vail yet. Kinda been all around it.

Sorry I missed it. By rooski I suppose you mean Hobbit.

Felix and Oscar - hmm - Hobbit is short, your taller, so if that's the corelation you'll be Oscar. But, Felix is the more "proper" one so that can't be you either since decorum is not high on the agenda. So - it's Oscar again. (taller based on your web pics anyway)

We had a fun lots of family over yesterday. No skiing though. Everyone played on my wobble board though.
John Mason

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System