Can you use PMTS with beginners - a story

PMTS Forum

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:37 pm

One cannot operate a ski school or any business enterprise on US Forest Service land without appropriate permits. That is what differentiates US ski resorts from the European schools. The resort obtains the permits. This also serves as a revenue stream to the Federal government via the fees.

Go try and open a business without the requisit permits on federal land and see how long it remains in operation.

If Mr Harb is an employee of the local ski school and revenues are paid to that entity and the permit holder pays Mr. Harb no law is broken. If the money goes directly to Harb it is another matter.

One other consideration involves insurance and liability.

There have been instructors attempting to circumvent the system and teach out of the parking lot for years. It eventually comes to an end.

I'll tell you who usually stops it and that is a local instructor who alerts a Forest Service investigator.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:12 pm

Federal Land ain't no dorm room. One of these days somebody is going to drop a dime on HH and the only thing tipping will be handcuffs.

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:19 am

Guest,
what you saying is very scary, now I understand some of SCSA posts.
Can I, say, take a taxi to ski resort operating within Forest Service boundaries? Would my cabbie loose his car and go to jail?

Federal Land ain't no dorm room. One of these days somebody is going to drop a dime on HH and the only thing tipping will be handcuffs.

It looks to me that you would like that to happen and this is even more scary.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby tommy » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:40 am

What about the following case:

assume I'm a professional coach for a ski team. Can I take my team to a US resort, and do coaching/instruction for my team on the slopes, without offending any Federal Land legislations ? Or would that also be seen as competition with the local ski school ?

Cheers,
Tommy
tommy

Postby NoCleverName » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:44 pm

Well, Mr Guest Troll has certainly caused the panic he wanted. Of course, a ski school operated on Fed land requires a concessionaire permit. That's quite different from pursuing your own private interest (for which you may someday be paid) while on public land. For example, you can be a photog for National Geographic, someone sitting in the base lodge writing their deathless novel, in a chairlift consummating a business deal over the phone, helping a fellow skier get better --- no one's going to make you get a permit to do that. Now, you certainly can't set up a canteen truck in the parking lot.
And you probably shouldn't give a ski lesson for more consideration than a beer. But don't let Guest's obvious HH hatred convince you that the FBI is going to stop hunting for bin Laden to finally put away HH.
NoCleverName

Postby BigE » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:05 pm

NoCleverName wrote:Well, Mr Guest Troll has certainly caused the panic he wanted. .... you probably shouldn't give a ski lesson for more consideration than a beer. But don't let Guest's obvious HH hatred convince you that the FBI is going to stop hunting for bin Laden to finally put away HH.

What the heck is up with these venomous people? Do they really view PMTS as such a huge threat that it warrants such remarks from the "Guest"? Why do they care so much about PMTS to do such things?
BigE

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:45 pm

tommy wrote:What about the following case:

assume I'm a professional coach for a ski team. Can I take my team to a US resort, and do coaching/instruction for my team on the slopes, without offending any Federal Land legislations ? Or would that also be seen as competition with the local ski school ?

Cheers,
Tommy

for profit vs. not for profit!

It was not my goal to cause panic and it is not anti-PMTS.

HH simply must realize if he wants to teach skiing he needs to do what everyone else does and work for a ski school.

He is well aware of this.

Postby tommy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:25 am

for profit vs. not for profit!

Yeah, but assuming that *professional* coaches actually make money on their instruction/coaching activities ? That is, if I'm paid and/or employed by a club to instruct the members ? Would that be a problem ?

--T
tommy

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:52 am

I again suggest a not for profit club paying a salary differs from and individual trying to make a living from a business enterprise.

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System