Pro tip. CSIA ontario web site.

PMTS Forum

PMTS and rotational movements

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:38 am

Tommy, John, I am totally with Jeff on this one.
Here is my opinion on this:
It is true that tipping results in femur rotation and that gets transferred to the other leg.
However, the tipping is lateral movement from the point of view of your ski boot and your ski, and when transferred to the other leg it also becomes lateral as far as your foot is concerned.

The ski radius is adjusted by:
1. bending the ski
2. pressuring the ski over the pressure threshold that will result in carved turn (HH calls them brushed turns, where the ski front cuts into the snow and the tail brushes).

Harald, R U THERE, HELP!
Shall we start a separate thread with new Subject.

It is not clear from the original post subject that this discussion is even here!
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

I think I'll change my handle

Postby John Mason » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:03 pm

how's about NinetySeven for a handle for me instead of my real name.

I was just using an extreme example. Since you can hockey stop without steering using the phantom move, then adjusting the shape of a turn is also easy to do without leg steering.

What'd you think? Should I change it? :roll:
John Mason

Postby Jeff Markham » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:38 pm

Gee, I thought that "John Mason" was a fake name. :lol:

I'd keep it. It's too confusing when folks change their handles.

Of course, if you're in the FBI's Witness Protection Program, then go for it. 8)
Jeff Markham

Postby tommy » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:51 pm

piggyslayer,

I think this question is important enough for its own thread - please go ahead and put it as a thread of it's own - that will at least make it easier for Harald to find it, not mentioning to addressing it.... ;-)

--T
tommy

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:01 pm

Tommy
John already done it:
"How does PMTS generate rotary turns like at the top of Mogul"
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Re: Bob said:

Postby BigE » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:02 pm

John Mason wrote:Bob said:

"Steering is essential ... Without active steering, skis will indeed turn--as will that runaway train. But blending in steering movements as necessary is the key to controlling your line PRECISELY, the key to OWNING your turn shape, the key to skiing in CONTROL".

Bob believes that leg steering is mandetory to control speed. In my own experience doing a brushed carve by simply not having as much edging does the same thing without leg steering.

John, that's not how I interpret Bobs comments. I read that steering is essential to control DIRECTION. I've bolded why. "In control" is the opposite of that runaway train going solely where the rails are pointing.

The "brushed carve" I think your talking about, won't shorten your turn radius: that's just skidding to control speed, and misses the mark a touch...

piggyslayer wrote:The ski radius is adjusted by:
1. bending the ski
2. pressuring the ski over the pressure threshold that will result in carved turn (HH calls them brushed turns, where the ski front cuts into the snow and the tail brushes).

Now this is more like it! But there is a third approach as well, and that is the pivot, which you've all read can be initiated with tipping little toe edge to cause femur rotation. Observe that if the edges are not yet firmly set ( via lower than usual edge angles ) the skis pivot.

So the lack of steering is a red herring. I can't imagine anyone devising a system that does not allow one to control their direction. :shock:

If I were to hazard a guess, it's all about how to steer the skis. I'd guess that Bob would prefer to pivot the feet in direct response to a "go there" impetus, as opposed to having the feet pivot at the end of the kinetic chain that gets yanked by tipping little toe edge.

IMO, PMTS turns qualify under Bobs definition of "the perfect turn". I would even imagine certain evasive maneuvers that PMTS style turns eg. Super phantom, could be far better at doing than active pivoting!
BigE

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System