Epic Posters

PMTS Forum

Epic Posters

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:07 pm

I know we have many Epic lurkers. Some post from time to time and are very courteous. Please maintain a courteous attitude and all posters will be welcome. If a post is less then acceptable, meaning it provides no value, or does not add to the discussion, has no relevant questions, but is solely to antagonize, to be aggressive, or hostile, the poster will be blocked.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:22 pm

I know there are many good questions and comments on the threads. I have had only minimal time to look through them since I have been back. Also, yesterday, I came down or caught this horrid one day , at least it seems so far, flu with the chills and muscle aches, so I was out flat in bed. As I recover and get into the swing, I hope to be able to contribute.
Harald

Postby Harald » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Sorry SCSA, I disagree, ?PMTS days? for Epic will not happen, as they are already available through Harb Ski Systems Camps. And judging by the posts here from a certain element of the Epic delegation, I don't want them as my customers.

Humility has levels that equate to the degree of expertise. It does not have to be demonstrated by Michael Jordon when he talks about a basket ball move. But it should be demonstrated by a fan who watches on TV. Epic posters are fans and not in the same league with members here, so some humility would be polite. They try to come over here and run a muck with there disinformation and misconceptions. The garbage they posted here was not only not worth responding to, it was insulting to anyone who knows skiing.

The inferior level of expertise demonstrated from Epic posters on this form not only showed an arrogance and total disregard for the knowledge of PMTS members. The level of humility was so out of proportion with their knowledge, it made me sick. What is known and posted by this group ranks with the rubbish already discarded by skiers who want to learn to grow, become better or more knowledgeable. That?s why Epic will always be the same and the PMTS Form will constantly evolve.
Harald

Postby Harald » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Can anyone tell me what the skiing after Kostelitc's run, in the following video link has to do with the title. "Tightening slalom carve turns?"

http://nnskiing.org/
Harald

Postby SLAVA » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:49 am

Imagination i bet it is. :wink:

Did u notice he even wares yellow leader jacket

no engagement of ski tips until fall line(or pass one) with excessive BTE tipping of stance foot, up move of upper body, screwed up for/aft balance, nee drive..

What a coach
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby Sidecut » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Harald wrote:Can anyone tell me what the skiing after Kostelitc's run, in the following video link has to do with the title. "Tightening slalom carve turns?"

I think this must be some type of joke. It can't be serious.
Sidecut

Postby ramshackle » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Harald wrote:Epic posters are fans and not in the same league with members here, so some humility would be polite.

Mr Harb I think youd be more accurate if you got more specific in other words specific to the particular types of Epic posters because not everyone at EpicSki thinks the same way in fact there are people over there who are fans of your approach and the PMTS system so its a little unfair to just accuse all EpicSki people of being against you or your theories or your teaching system and a little unfair to accuse them of lacking the proper respect because honestly theres a lot of people who post there that you dont know and havent met and like I said some of them actually follow you.

You have to remember that EpicSki is just a place for people to discuss skiing its not a cult its not a mindset even if it sometimes looks that way to someone who has a bad experience with someone else who came over here from EpicSki. Same with TGR there are fools and egomaniacs at TGR and there are great skiers over there too including humble people who would listen patiently to a PMTS discussion without being rude or disrespectful.

I guess what Im saying is its not fair to judge a whole group based on one or two peoples posts. And please before you accuse me of being a bad guy ask Max_501 to talk to his friend slider about how ramshackle skis.
If your skiing feels good to you then it is good for you but that doesnt mean you cant improve your skiing okay?
ramshackle

Postby ssh » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:39 pm

Harald wrote:Can anyone tell me what the skiing after Kostelitc's run, in the following video link has to do with the title. "Tightening slalom carve turns?"

I have no idea, Harald. What do you think?

It seems to me that he's teaching a classic "park-and-ride" pure lateral move that will result in a very weak, one-dimensional skier. I know I wouldn't want to "carve" turns anything like either one of them (the coach in the yellow or the student). As SLAVA says, the only real edge engagement is at and/or past the fall line, the transitions are abrupt and nonfunctional, they aren't using the skis well at all, mostly riding the rear of the ski, any "forward move" is actually a "catch up" move, and so on.

How much of that do I have wrong?
...addicted, passionate skier just seeking truth...and more fun on snow, of course!
ssh

Postby Flexon Phil » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:47 am

Courtesy and respect goes both ways. Every site has a mix of personalities, I just prefer not to make blanket judgements towards a whole group, because it is usually the one with the biggest mouth that appears to be the personality, IMHO, that is not the case.

What I really do not understand is why there has to be a "he said/she said" when it comes to teaching methods. To me, good skiing is good skiing. I look at the evolution of ones skiing ability as an upside down triangle. at the bottom there is basicly one type of beginner, as one gets better, style and needs evolve. At the top, there can be many types of experts with many different styles. Who is really to say if PSIA, PMTS or HSTS (Highway Star Teaching System ;)) is better? Some people will also learn better in differnt systems too.

I personally have nothing against any particular system. I am familier with PSIA, just because it is so common out there. Is it better or worse? I have no idea. As far as PMTS, I would love to learn more about it (I am a doer, not a reader when it comes to skiing).

I just do not understand why some people are arguing back and forth on which is better, Vanilla or Chocolate.
My TM can beat up your TM
Flexon Phil

Postby midwif » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:40 am

The mere thought of HH and Highway Star exchanging, er....skiing info is highly entertaining. Explosively entertaining.

There seem to be an influx of folks who often post at epic. Hopefully the tone of respect and courtesy that is current for the past day or two among us all will continue.

However, would someone send Ramshackle to a punctuation class?? :lol: Perfection not necessary, just an occasional comma and period.
midwif

Postby Flexon Phil » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:42 am

midwif wrote:The mere thought of HH and Highway Star exchanging, er....skiing info is highly entertaining. Explosively entertaining.
No, I think it would be ugly. Real Ugly. :(
Flexon Phil

Postby milesb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:10 am

What I really do not understand is why there has to be a "he said/she said" when it comes to teaching methods. ..........I just do not understand why some people are arguing back and forth on which is better, Vanilla or Chocolate.

Nice Kumba-f'ing-ya sentiment Phil. :P

Seriously, if you want to learn more about PMTS you should become a reader AND a doer. You can get all of Harald's published goods for about the price of an all day group lesson at K-mart. If neccessary, get your son to help you with the big words :wink: Besides, it's not like you can do anything but read and watch videos for awhile anyways :( .
The important thing is to do all the exercises and at your ability level, substitute the PMTS moves for what you do now in ALL your skiing. That mostly means making every effort to get stance ski engagement right at the start of your turns, even in GNAR. And don't expect huge results in the GNAR right away. Make those moves second nature on the greens, then on the blues, then on the groomed blacks. It may take a whole season or more before it even occasionally all comes together in the GNAR, but it is all worth it the first time it happens.
Give it a try. It's only changing your skiing, not your sweater :shock: . Thanks for checking in!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:17 am

Flexon Phil and SSH and to other long time epic posters. I agree, and Iam tired of arguing about which sytem is better, and I am tired of the war. It is counter productive.

Having said this. one thing is for sure, there are very big differences between the way the PSIA approaches ski instruction and the way Harald and PMTS approaches it. The specificity of instruction and movement, starting with the feet, avoiding rotation and steering, these are essentials in PMTS. Most importantly it's what this forum is about.

I welcome you all, but please don't waste our time as others have in the past with trying to convince everyone that PMTS is just what the PSIA intends but in a different package. If you truly want to learn, if you only learn one thing while over here, this would be alot.

Most importantly Harald is a great teacher. Reagardless of his internet persona which clearly irritates many. He can help almost anyone with their skiing (again the whole point of this, and the main reason for ending the war/battles, so more can learn and progress).

But again, so many have come over from Epic and elsewhere and try to tell us and Harald that rotation is good, that steering is essential and so on. If you can't get past some of this stuff, look at it a different way. Mental imagery is what it's all about in athletic endeavors. Without arguing about whether rotation and steering have to occur, one thing is for sure, when ones mental imagery is about avoiding rotation and steering you end up skiing differently than when one focuses on the opposite. This imo is undeniable.

I obviously believe that the PMTS approach is superior. I have zero ineterst in arguing about it. This forum is about talking about PMTS and about learning more about this system. Unlike Epic, this forum is about ONE system.

If I have come on too strong and you are here to learn and to contribute without agenda, then great and you can ignore my entire post.

You have to forgive me, because we have been through this so many times with so many posters that have had major agendas (which are not about learning PMTS or from Harald).

In the end, Harald has the goods, and almost everyone can become a better skier from working with him and from listening to him.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Flexon Phil » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 am

There is not ONE way to ski well. If a system works...it works. Everyone learns at different paces and speeds an methods. I am sure Haralds way is very good, as is PSIA...a more depends on who is teaching and passing along the information. From what I see (and I could be wrong) but Harald has a tighter control and less level of teachers till it gets to the student. Any oranization as large as a PSIA, information gets watered down.

I would like to learn PMTS, it is just a few more tools that I will have in my tool chest of ski knowledge.
Flexon Phil

Postby milesb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:42 am

Flexon Phil wrote:I would like to learn PMTS, it is just a few more tools that I will have in my tool chest of ski knowledge.

If you really learn PMTS, all your other tools will gather dust. Hows that for a slogan! 8)
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System