Reverse polarization reversed

Friends get together

Re: Reverse polarization reversed

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:00 am

SCSA wrote:1) For those of you who are following PMTS from the books, just make sure at some point you have someone with a PMTS eye watch you. It's easy to get good at doing the drills wrong.

Very good advice. Another option is to have someone shoot some video and post it here so we can give you some input.

SCSA wrote:3) Which brings up an interesting idea. ESA should have certified PMTS people there. That way, they could sell camps to PMTS followers.

That's a very interesting idea.
Max_501

Postby Ott Gangl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:29 am

Roger Kane, aka Arcmeister is one of the ESA coaches but I don't know if he will be at Snowmass or at Tahoe. If he is you have a PMTS coach at the ESA.

Actually, if they are interested, other PMTS certified instructors could make inquiries about participating.

I have no idea if and how this would work because Harald may see this as threatening the number of applicants to his own camps.

...Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby dewdman42 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Ott, its way more complicated than simply saying Harald may feel threatened. There are a number of PMTS certified folks out there that Harald speaks highly of and he has no financial gain from their success in teaching PMTS other than requiring them to stay current with their PMTS certification.

On the other hand, I think if you had an honest to gawd dedicated PMTS section at an ESA event..( I don't mean someone mixing in a few PMTS concepts, I mean an honest to gawd full fledged week of PMTS)...The guys at ESA would most definitely feel threatened, make no mistake about it. And most teachers and coaches find themselves in a position where they have to walk the line and be careful about what they say to who. Its a complicated situation from top to bottom.
dewdman42

ESA events and PMTS instructors

Postby John Mason » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:13 am

The problem is, as I checked this out before on Epic, was you don't get to pick your coach at an ESA event.

You have Bob Barnes who teaches and focuses on active rotation of the femurs in their hip sockets as one of the most primary movements in skiing. ref: his many times repeating of the paper towels on the floor drill, what he is doing with one ski drills at keystone with new students, his long post with Si etc.

Yet, from a PMTS perspective we keep the hip rotators co-contracted to prevent such movement from occuring by direct input. This results in a foundational completely different type of skiing and is one of the most fundemental real disagrements between Bob's approach and HH's approach.

Thus, without the ability to choose a coach at an ESA event (Eric D also used to do ESA events but I don't know that he does anymore.) a student such as myself, though I like getting other perspectives on my skiing, am reluctant to spend my money with that restriction given the vast difference in real approaches.
John Mason

Postby dewdman42 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:45 am

Yea. the bottom line is that ESA is a PSIA-inspired organization. And more specifically, it is just a handful of Ski pros that are trying to find a way to make more money than ski resorts typically will pay them, by running their own business. You can't blame them for that. But really they have no incentive to bring in opposing views. Right now PMTS camps are the best way to learn PMTS. If were going to go to an ESA event it would not be to learn PMTS, it would be to broaden my horizon with whatever they might show me. I did not realize that I would not be able to select my instructor. If that is the case then I would never go. I am so super selective about who I will pay to coach me.
dewdman42

Return to Social Chatting