How to do "non-pure" carving with PMTS ?

PMTS Forum

Postby -- SCSA » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Sorry piggy.

When geeks/weirdos find each other (we always seem to) it's always about being geeky. Then before you know it, boom! Nothing but geek speak! :lol:

Back to talking turnz now... :)
-- SCSA

definately moved off topic but - for BigE

Postby John Mason » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:12 pm

Hi BigE!

This doesn't have much to do with brushed carves, but I know where your coming from and I'll post this as it's own topic to.

In going over the various PMTS material, one can get the impression that you must be able to balance on one ski to do the drills since lots of them are one ski drills.

I watched HH do a lesson with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago that was still a pretty novice skier who was not athletic nor had many balancing skills and who had pretty bad alignment. He had had some traditional lessons of the "mash the grape under the big toe" pizza type (his exact expression of what he was taught) and was a heavy wedger.

I was wondering how HH would proceed since I had made many statements that without some sort of initial alignment I didn't see how PMTS could work for the beginning skier. HH had him do some one ski drills just to be able to see his alignment and it was really bad. So, how to proceed?

I then watched HH teach him the two footed release as a garland. This keeps both feet on the ground yet still results in parallel turning right off the bat without having to cross the fall line. Then HH progressed him to full two footed release turns. He was skiing parallel almost immediatly. He found he was able to turn with no effort, a totally new experience for him. I believe my friends transition would have been even easier had he not been fighting his "initiate with leg steering and wedging" muscle memory.

I skied with my friend the next day. For the first couple of seconds he wedged like old times. I said stop to him (or yelled it in a friendly manner guarenteed to get his attention). I asked him why he was doing that. He said he didn't know. The rest of the day he never wedged and did parallel turns all day. His wife, who is a much more experienced skier than he, was amazed that he could be parallel after one lesson.

Now, for my friend to progress to the next levels, he will have to get aligned and bootfitted, but who doesn't. I did not realize how much progress could be made with a beginner with a bad setup like he had.
John Mason

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:49 am

SCSA I am cool with you guys chatting about C experience.
Hey, always interesting to hear C dinosaurs talk , :wink: :wink: , I have something caught in my eye, :wink: , better now.
My comment is about what happens with all these posts. Like how do I know that the thread about Restaurants in Vail will not all the sudden provide some good technical discussion about skiing?

I can see it coming: Someone starts with how to rotate fork when eating spaghetti and then the phantom with the other hand and here we go we on the snow again. :)
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:53 am

You guys need to talk about anything that pops in your heads because with an average rip snorting three participants it gets fairly slow.

I'm telling you....this pmts thing is going to take the world by storm.

I can't wait till summer

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:09 am

I can see we can always count on you, to keep things more exciting.
Something bothers you again? How can we help?
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby -- SCSA » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:41 am

Look kids, it's our old friend Guest! :D

Hey Guest. Stick around. piggy and I could use some company. If you stick around, before you know it, we'll be on fire! :D

Oh that Guest. He/she/it is a crazy little Guest! :)
-- SCSA

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System