Footbeds question, should my feet ache like heck initially?

PMTS Forum

Footbeds question, should my feet ache like heck initially?

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:06 am

Had footbeds made this past January and have used them 10 times or so since. My feet really ache for the first and sometimes second run of the day, but after that it's all good....
Is this normal? Or is it just that I have screwy feet? :?
Last edited by Billy Dee NJ on Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Dee NJ

Postby -- SCSA » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:32 am

I know this sounds crazy...

But make sure you don't have the original footbed in your liner. If you do, you're skiing on 2 footbeds and that's surely the problem.
-- SCSA

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:54 am

Thanks SCSA, but unfortunately that's not the case. Sometimes I do wish I still "had" the originals that came with the boots ,but like i said...once the aching goes away its fine.
Billy Dee NJ

Here are two footbed pain ideas

Postby John Mason » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:12 pm

Here are two footbed pain stories - both probably not your situation.

1. I had some "balance shims" made for me at the race camp I went to this summer by "racer's edge". The tech had put one in folded over. Needless to say, I couldn't even get the boot on.

2. Another fellow at the camp had footbeds made, and he somehow put them backwards in his boots. Not sure how he did that, but everytime he had a beer everyone would hear the story again.

Pain isn't normal, I'd go back to the persons that made them. Are they HH's? If they are not HH's and they are of the rigid type, then pain is normal. HH had a young racer in his shop that was being fit when I was there recently. This lad had gotten the rigid type a couple of months before and they hurt his feet so much he tossed them after a couple of days. I had the rigid type before myself and experienced the same thing. I also had really soft cork ones to.

Harold's are not that soft and not rigid either. They are extrememly comfortable and have a tad of give allowing in boot presuring of the little toe edge. The fully rigid ones eliminate any ability to modulate your turns inside the boot and force larger muscles further up the leg to do this work.

So, if they are HH's I'm sure they'll work with you to get them right. If they're the rigid type, I'd start over.

I've skied just over one year now and have gotten 3 different footbed systems. HH's were the best for me. If they aren't right they can be the most frustrating things. Once you get the boots and footbeds right you wish they'd never wear out!

Hope you get them fixed up!
John Mason

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:28 pm

Yes, the footbeds are from GB Camp. But the weird part is they feel fine all day after that inital period of pain. I guess I could try drinking a few shots of tequila before I put them on next time... :twisted:
Billy Dee NJ

Postby Jeff Markham » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:47 pm

Bill, are there any warmup exercises you could do before starting? I don't see any foot warmups in "Ski Flex", but I'm sure that Harald could recommend something.

As a final resort, I suppose you could always skip the first couple of runs... :lol:
Jeff Markham

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:47 am

Maybe it's just your boots start off buckled too tight and it takes a couple of runs to loosen them up. Take a couple of warmup runs with the boots a notch looser.

Postby BigE » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:31 am

Do you have adequate arch support in your daily shoes? A friend of mine had orthotics made by a podiatrist,as he has very flat feet. He could only wear them a few hours a day at first. Now he wears them all the time...

You could try putting the footbeds into a pair of shoes/boots and see if the pain happens there too.... remember to remove the existing footbed. This will at least remove any buckle issues. The footbeds may have actually uncovered foot problems that need fixing. A podiatrist could tell for sure.
BigE

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:20 am

Responding to Guest and BigE,
I start out with my boot buckles pretty loose initially so I'm confident that's not the issue.
But as far as the potential that I have other foot problems, I do have (somewhat) flat feet , we may be on to something....
I think i may try that experiment with the footbeds in another shoe...
Billy Dee NJ

Postby BigE » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:42 pm

Now that you;ve said that you've got flat feet, it's probable that what is in the boot is somewhat corrective, and you are feeling that certain muscles get strained, others getting used.

My friend also has very flat feet, which is why he got othotics in the first place...
BigE

Postby -- SCSA » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:52 am

Hiya Billy!

Hey man, don't compromise. Your feet aren't supposed to hurt. You got to get this fixed!
-- SCSA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System