Thanks to all my PMTS friends - 1 year and 1 week

PMTS Forum

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:12 pm

Hi Ott,

Clarification here.

I said, "...is this something you can be proud of?" I'm not pointing at you, in any way. Matter of fact, I think you really get it.

What I meant to say, "...is this something that ski instruction can be proud of?"

Cheers,
-- SCSA

Postby Ott Gangl » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:14 pm

SCSA, it'll shake itself out, as in any business. If people aren't happy with the product they get they'll go elsewhere. If I had my say I would make lessons only available by appointment. Call and be told to show up at two o'clock on Thursday for your lesson or some such. That's how it is with golf lesson, at your dentist or doctor or at HH or Mahre Bros.

A bus full of walk-ins (bus-ins? :wink: ) on a Thursday afternoon wouldn't get their lesson at HH or any other speciality camp, yet ski resorts cater to them.

We'll see what happens...

.....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:26 pm

10-4 Ott.

Customers always lead the way. Businesses that don't listen to customers generally don't make it, unless they're a monopoly, in which case they can last much longer. But even monopolies don't last when customers are dissatisfied. Upstart entrepreneurs sense the void and offer those customers products and services. So in a free market, those are the rules. But with the forest service rule, there's no free market, so that analogy can't be used. Now what?

I just shake my head. :roll:

On a separate but related note, ski equipment sales out paced snowboarding sales in 03. The biggest sellers? Mid-fat skis and twin tips. What does it mean? Well, it probably means that older folks are buying the mid-fats to make skiing "easier" (I'm biting my tongue) and that younger folks are buying the twin tips for the terrain park. It indicates that snowboarding sales are starting to slow down.

So now that ski areas have pouched all the snowboarders, where is the next growth spurt to come from? You can only fit so many in the terrain park. What does that leave? Skiing. If that's the case, then wouldn't it make sense to capitalize and provide those skiers with a neato swell learning system? I sure think it does.

I'm heading out now, going up Valley for a beer. I'll toast to your good health. :)

Be cool,
-- SCSA

Cause I the yougest child - of course

Postby John Mason » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:37 pm

I am my worst critic because I was the youngest child of 3 boys. So of course I want to do whatever just as good as my older brothers.

When I get exposed to a sport that I like, I generally get pretty good at it pretty quick, but not 'cause I'm any type of natural athelete because I'm not. Just because I've got that youngest brother type A personality.

This is why I will not play golf. Now there's a sport that would really waste my time and money to get really good at. And who just wants to walk around when one can be smacking the little ball around a racquetball court, doing long distance bike rides, or skiing. Just sounds to boring. (that's why I'd be a basket case if I ever did golf - I'd be bored and I'd want to beat 97% of the people out there)

But skiing, there'a a natural. Most skiers stink so I can get better than most real quick like. The perfect sport for a mental case like me :lol:

On a more serious note, Harold used to run the ski instruction at Winterpark and it was quite successful. Maybe he can chime in on what they did to handle the hour introductory lesson with the busloads of kids.
John Mason

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:31 am

Harold did not run the ski instruction at Winter Park!

Postby milesb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:38 am

Hi Ott. So you don't think that Harald would be up to the challenge of having a few busloads of young students show up at Sol Vista every day?
Interesting thought.
milesb

Postby Ott Gangl » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:48 am

Who knows, maybe he would. I was thinking of his PMTS camps and other academies where folks sign up ahead of time.

If walk-ins were eliminated, Vail and Aspen could do with 200 instructors instead of 1500.

...Ott
Ott Gangl

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System