Thanks to all my PMTS friends - 1 year and 1 week

PMTS Forum

Guest - the silly one

Postby John Mason » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:38 am

I get it now. You are actually a PMTS person, maybe SCSA, trying to widen the perceived gap by trolling here.

I would recommend changing your strategy. Lots of folks that are in PSIA are dropping the old, slow progression and shifting to PMTS style instruction. The customers are beginning to demand it. This growing trend will take ski instruction where it needs to go. No need to use your reverse physcology. I see no reason to act dumb, hide your name, all in an effort to make PSIA look bad in a tricky way. Not a bad idea though, I just don't think it's that effective an approach.

So, come out of your closet and tell us what PMTS promoter you really are. SCSA right!

Oh, I'll be looking to do some turns at the A-basin party May first. I'll be briniging my 21 year old son. It'll be fun meeting more of the faces behind the pseudonyms.
John Mason

Postby Enemy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:16 am

Guest is one that skis with the tips in the back and the tails in the front, and no, he/she does not have twin tips skis. Hence at the end of the day
he/she is always mad :lol: However, John Mason is a little childish :( , SCSA gives the impression to be on crack :shock: Mr. T is plain crazy :o and Piggyslayer is well... kind of playing cool :cry: Tommy always have something new to experiment with :P Jeff is about to write a book about his ski life :) and Bluey is about to start his skiing after so much theory :wink:

As I see you:

Guest: cannot even ski, he/she probably snowboards on a bunny hill;
John Mason is probably cool on a green run;
SCSA can probably try a blue run but usually ends up in the woods;
Piggyslayer is likely blue material, but stops every 10 turns;
Bluey and Tommy are blue, black material if they end there by mistake;
Mr. T may go onto a double black and then down a cliff;
Jeff is likely an off-piste element where he gets invariably lost .

What a bunch. Are these the best PMTS has to offer?

I am the Enemy (PSIA fully certified and beyond), skieur extraordinaire,
master of the impossible, I ski bumps on my hands and judge of society., and a very humble guy deep in my heart.
Enemy

Postby Mr. T » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:22 am

It sounds to me that Enemy is the one on crack and probably on steroids and some other stuff as well. How did he (she?) find this forum? We are starting to attract not-so-desirable guests. I am playing crazy? Ssshh. Do not tell anybody.
Mr. T

Postby -- SCSA » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:23 am

Enemy is enigmatic.

Hey Enemy. Blue runs? You're giving me way more credit than even I give myself -- if you can believe that! :lol:

I do end up in the trees alot, however. :wink:

Crack? Oh c'mon Enemy! I gave that up a long time ago. I just couldn't get a buzz goin. :wink: Maybe you could turn me on to your he/she/it?

Hey Enemy. Can you make the Abasin party? I'd be happy to share my favorite Blue runs and tree stashes with you. :wink: I'd go make some turnz with ya too, but you'll have to wait for me. I'm kinda slow... :wink:

Guest and Enemy need to get a room, at the Gang Hotel over on Wedge Street. They could share toothbrushes.
-- SCSA

Postby Jeff Markham » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:35 am

Jeff is about to write a book about his ski life

Gee, I hadn't thought about this! Yeah, I can see it now...

"My Life as a Skier", by Jeff Markham
(subtitle: "Fall Down, Go Boom!")
(sub-subtitle: "I Meant To Do That!"
(sub-sub-subtitle: "It Would Have Killed a Lesser Man!"

Already, I'm starting to receive movie offers. Hmm, who to play me?

...or maybe a musical?
Jeff Markham

Postby -- SCSA » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:39 am

Hi Jeff,

Just don't have your book signing in Utah. We'll never be able to get a beer! :lol:
-- SCSA

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:40 am

Hi Enemy!

Really cool post, I liked it!
Can you teach "Guest" how to be funny and write like this?
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Jeff Markham » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:43 am

Just don't have your book signing in Utah. We'll never be able to get a beer!

We've got beer, just no alcohol! :cry:
Jeff Markham

Postby Enemy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:46 am

SCSA wrote:
I do end up in the trees alot, however.

Oh, sorry it was not crack then. It is the too many head on collision on trees then :wink:
Keep up the good works.
Enemy

Enemy

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:52 am

Piggy wrote:

Really cool post, I liked it!

Thank yo Piggy. Since you liked my style I decided to give you a promotion on the field, pardon me, the slopes.

Piggyslayer can now ski blue runs but stops every 20 turns instead of
every 10. Or, if she prefers she can ski black runs and stops every 7 turns. What's your choice Piggy?

Piggy also asks:
Can you teach "Guest" how to be funny and write like this?

I am afraid not. Guest first needs to learn how to put his/her skis on. Until them he/she will always be pretty mad at the world.

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:17 am

Hi Enemy,
I take any deal if I could only ski NOW (instead of browsing this forum and programming at the same time) :cry: !
Not much skiing left for me this season (I may have some business trip coming to Canadian Rockies in April).

I never thought of my piggy as he or she! And I never thought of my piggy skiing without me. Piggyslayer is a ?he? and he thinks of calling him a piggy as a big PMTS complement (so thanks).
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Enemy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:20 pm

Piggyslayer you are a man :( Oh no.... I was beginning to fall in love with you :cry: Enemy is always alone.
Enemy

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:12 pm

-- SCSA wrote:Hi Guest,

Oh, I know! It's great that others have stepped forth with their enthusiasm. See? There really are more than 1 of me! :P :lol: But I think these he/she/its here have a lot of work to do, to approach the infamous "PMTS Wacko" status. :lol:

Stick around Guest. But keep it clean and no hitting below the belt, eh? :?: Like, I don't think it's cool to call someone an idiot. Guest, I know you're a smart Guest. I bet you don't think it's cool, either.

If you don't think PMTS is that great, just explain to us crazies why, that's all! Tell us where you feel the weaknesses are and why.

Be cool Guest, see ya around!

SCSA

You're right. I shouldn't have said John's an idiot, I should have said his post was idiotic. It's not cool to pass personal judgement on those you've never met, and...that was the jist of my post.

As to PMTS, I have no gripes with that approach. If it works for you and the others here, I think that's great. But, it goes against common sense to assume this is the only way to become a good skier. There were good skiers before HH, and there will be good skiers after as well. My opinion is that it has more to do with the individual instructor and the willingness of the student than any system. Also, I'll add that when you guys knock PSIA, it simply adds to many people's distain for PMTS. The old saying is there's two ways to look good: Stand on your own merits or make the competition look bad. I think standing on PMTS's own merits would be the way to go, if you and others are confident they exist.

As to being envious of PMTS, that's a joke. I can rip on any terrain and in any condition. I consider myself a product of hard work and not any organization, be it PSIA or PMTS.

Ski hard and be cool. See you on the slopes.

BTW piggy. Check out grammer check, as it would make your posts more understandable.

Guest - this didn't start out as any type of PSIA bash

Postby John Mason » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:32 pm

but degraded into it after others comments. The phrase PMTS friends doesn't mean "bash" PSIA but is just a reflection and comment about people I've met going to PMTS camps.

When people make their "only 108 members" etc etc - or John can only ski greens etc, that's when this post was hijacked a negative direction.

As far as your comments, I am an excellent student and did exactly what my 30 year PSIA cert said to do. I have since become aware it's what most teach in PSIA. I have read it on PSIA material and in web sites that repost PSIA materal. I have read it on ski resorts that outline their progression and brag about being PSIA certified ski schools. Rather than just make useless comments and bash PMTS, it would be more useful to discuss what about the normally taught PSIA material you think is good. From what I have seen and experienced its not a very productive approach. Are you saying that the PSIA as an umbrella organization encourages efficient progressions? Can you point me to examples? I have seen the oppisite where efficient progressions are not allowed. I'm sure there are exceptions. But thats the problem. They are exceptions.

I've been to lots of resorts in my first year of skiing. I did see a teacher in Big Sky working with a student on the phantom move. But usually that's not what I see. I see a bunch of students following in a line like ducks all wedging. This teacher at Big Sky was not PMTS certified, but was clearly on that wavelength.

I see Bob Barnes descriptions and Ron Lemasters descriptions and see major technique differences to what is taught in PMTS. Tip to turn, but steer to shape. Then Bob contradicts himself and says, but in a pure carve you can't steer to shape. So what does Bob do to change the shape of a carved turn? What about adjusting the tip of the inside leg to shape the turn?

The popular things being done in most PSIA instruction are:

Wedge
Wide Stance
Outside leg steering

These techniques should not be taught in my opinion as part of a progression to learn to ski. As long as it is and endorsed by PSIA as a normal or ok thing to do, then I will be in a state of disagreement with PSIA and not have much respect for them. They know it's not as effective and have had objective evidence presented to them but still persist. I don't see this as bashing, just a recognition of the state of Ski Instruction in the USA.
John Mason

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:45 pm

The old saying is there's two ways to look good: Stand on your own merits or make the competition look bad. I think standing on PMTS's own merits would be the way to go, if you and others are confident they exist

I certainly agree with that one! Personally, I get serious doubts about any product marketed by trying to downplay the quality of competition - IMHO, that's just infantile, and reflects poorly on the product and the selling organization itself. As much as I've enjoyed this forum for the valuable discussions, as much I've also disliked the "bashing" of other approaches to skiing and ski instruction. I'm very happy with what PMTS has done for my skiing, but if anyone has found value in some other approach, that's fine.

Personally, I don't know anything about PSIA, nor any other skiing organization's teaching methods. Until finding PMTS, my skiing was a product of trial & error, and a number of disjunct lessons given by various instructors in a few different countries. The problem with these lessons were that they were not systematic, i.e. there was no continuation from one lesson to the other, instead, oftentimes instructor Y reversed the teachings of instructor X. In PMTS, I've found a systematic approach that provides continuity between scarce lessons. For those of us, who don't have the opportunity to spend 100+ days on the slopes per season, a "system", describing not only the techniques, but even more importantly, how to use the techiques, and how to go from one level to next, is vital for any progress.

Bottom line: PMTS works for me and I'm happy!

It's getting late over here, so I'd better go back "experimenting with something new" a bit more....! ;-)

Cheers,
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System