PMTS - test your knowledge

PMTS Forum

PMTS - test your knowledge

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:03 am

How well do you know the ins and outs of PMTS? Lets find out...

Its time to release the turn. Do you flex first or tip first?
Max_501

I Flex

Postby John Mason » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:41 am

When I want my old turn to end I flex the stance leg - allow it to start to collapse (or actively pull it up depending on how agressive this turn is that I'm ending). This will also make my edge go soft and start the flattening of that ski that is the first movement of tipping to a new edge. But its the flexing move that starts that whole process.
John Mason

Postby nwskier » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:56 am

I've been thinking of the sequence as ....

1) relax the stance leg
2) flex and flatten (both skis/legs)
3) pull, lift, and tip new inside ski

I play with varying the duration/intensity of all three. Feels like I sometimes start the active tipping in #3 above before the flexion is at its peak/completion and before the skis are completely flat.
nwskier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:56 pm

Ok, next question...

When should you start applying counter (specifically counter rotation)?
Max_501

That depends?

Postby Sidney » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Wouldnt that depend on where you want your skis to have the most pressure? On the fall line or at the bottom of the turn?

Max_501 wrote:Ok, next question...

When should you start applying counter (specifically counter rotation)?
Sidney

Re: That depends?

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 pm

Sidney wrote:Wouldnt that depend on where you want your skis to have the most pressure? On the fall line or at the bottom of the turn?

Why would you want more pressure in one area over the other?
Max_501

Postby Sidney » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 pm

I may have worded that poorly.

The only reason I was thinking that was if you went for an extra early engagement (say the high C) your counter might come significantly earlier than if you werent.

By the way, are you referring to the same thing when you say counter/counter-rotation? Or are they seperate?

Max_501 wrote:
Why would you want more pressure in one area over the other?
Sidney

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 am

Sidney wrote:I may have worded that poorly.

The only reason I was thinking that was if you went for an extra early engagement (say the high C) your counter might come significantly earlier than if you werent.

By the way, are you referring to the same thing when you say counter/counter-rotation? Or are they seperate?

For this question assume a nice high C turn. Counter and Counter Rotation mean the same thing. The reason I put it in parens was avoid someone thinking I meant Counter Balance.
Max_501

When to start to counter

Postby HarveyD » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:08 am

After flexing into neutral, when the skis are flat, the next move is to start the skis onto their new edges. At this point, one should start a slight counter. This will enhance the edge hold as well as making the stance more skeletal.
HarveyD

Postby Harald » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:19 am

Excellent
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Re: When to start to counter

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:31 am

HarveyD wrote:After flexing into neutral, when the skis are flat, the next move is to start the skis onto their new edges. At this point, one should start a slight counter. This will enhance the edge hold as well as making the stance more skeletal.

What other benefit do we get from counter rotation?
Max_501

Additional benefit

Postby HarveyD » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Is preventing rotation what you're looking for? It also enhances the weight shift to the new downhill ski, as well as facilitating counter balancing.
HarveyD

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:55 pm

Yes!

Next question...

Is counter progressive? If so, how does it develop in the turn?
Max_501

Counter Rotation Benefits

Postby nwskier » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Max_501 wrote:
HarveyD wrote:After flexing into neutral, when the skis are flat, the next move is to start the skis onto their new edges. At this point, one should start a slight counter. This will enhance the edge hold as well as making the stance more skeletal.

What other benefit do we get from counter rotation?

Doesn't counter rotation also enable greater angulation and hence greater edge angles?
nwskier

Re: Counter Rotation Benefits

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:30 pm

nwskier wrote:Doesn't counter rotation also enable greater angulation and hence greater edge angles?

Here's what Jay has to say about Counter Rotation (also called Counter Acting):

counter acting is the turning of the hips and upper body to the outside of the turn. First, this counters any rotation of the upper body in the direction of the turn. Second it allows the stance leg to straighten out more easily when the skier is in high angles thereby avoiding steering in the upper leg and making the leg more structurally strong. Lastly, it provides greater counter balancing effect then by using counter balancing alone. By adding counter acting, the upper body can stay upright more easily because the skier can recruit the muscles in front of the stomach and bend forward at the waist (forward in relation to the direction of the hips) rather than just isolating a lateral muscles and bending involved in counter balancing alone.
Max_501

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System