Excellent review by Bob Barnes of ssh's turns on epic

Friends get together

Excellent review by Bob Barnes of ssh's turns on epic

Postby Heyoka » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:27 am

http://forums.epicski.com/showthrearead.php?p=488827#post488827

I thought this review was excellent. In reading through it, I thought it's very similar to what one would read here, for the same "problem". Not to say that ssh has a problem. He's obviously an accomplished skier. I also really like the montage.

How do you guys feel about the review? Harald?

One more edit:
The pop that Bob refers to is common in about 99% of all skiers, myself including.

Have we arrived at a new term for something we know we need to not rely on, that we need to replace with flexion and extension instead? The "pop"? Is the pop also the same as upside down flex?

One more thought.
Are we now laying down a "new" look for skiing? Have we turned things upside down? Because if we agree that the pop is in all skiers and then we agree that the pop is actually upside down of how we now want to ski...

This is heavy.
Ski like Hell, go to Heaven
Heyoka

Postby Heyoka » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Bob's following posts in the thread aren't as close to PMTS as the first ones are -- no disrespect intended to Bob. For example I think he's saying that he doesn't advocate a flex move all the time. Of course HH teaches a flex all the time.
Heyoka

Postby Ott Gangl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Bob, like any good coach/instructor sees not only the problems but also the solution when coaching someone. That is what everyone admires in HH, isn't it?

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby dewdman42 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:30 pm

I also read BB's MA this morning and felt like I was hearing a bit of PMTS in his voice when was talking about what to do with the inside foot in particular. I agree with a lot of his assessment, but I feel SSh should keep his stance leg extended a little longer than BB seems to have advocated.

I feel Steve's (SSH) main thing to work on is his transition. No big surprise to anyone here I guess. I watched the video late last night after a 5 hour drive home from Whistler..so I don't remember about A-Frame legs or not, but I suspect it might be more of an alignment issue than BB suggested. But BB's comments about working the inside foot more and tipping it..are solid and relevant to beating A-frame also in general.

I think ssh uses the old school up-unweight out of habit.. I see a lot of aggresive moves in his skiing, he likes to ski fast and dynamically. He is patient and usually waits for his skis to carve around rather than steering them. There is a lot of potential there for some extremely hot skiing, but I also feel as BB and probably everyone here that he needs to eliminate that pop. It reminds me of what the Italians are doing right now on their D team videos I've seen online.

I personally think Steve should really get all over PMTS and absorb as much as he can. He can only replace the up-unweight if he is given another way to transition.

the other thing ssh is doing is sinking down into his skis in the 2nd half of the turn instead of keeping his stance leg a little more extended. There are all kinds of reasons why that is not great..but among them is the fact that in that position its difficult to transition at speed without up-unweighting...so... I think he has to focus on both the transition (something completely new) and in the 2/3 part of the turn, holding his stance leg extended a little longer and waiting until the actual transition to do what everyone here knows how to do....which is NOT to pop there.

I will be very curious to hear HH's analysis because he will undoubtedly see about 59 things I didn't see...
dewdman42

Thank you!

Postby ssh » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:14 pm

Thank you for all the comments here. And, I welcome additional comments or analysis from anyone here, as well. I'm reserving more of my thoughts for later after more analysis...
...addicted, passionate skier just seeking truth...and more fun on snow, of course!
ssh

Postby Heyoka » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:50 am

ssh,

I was too hard on you and I owe you an apology. I pray that some day this stuff will leave my head.

We don't have to be friends, but I sure as hell don't need to treat you -- or anyone else -- with disrespect or in a bad way. Please accept my apologies.

Sometimes I've treated stuff this like it was a friggin cure for cancer or something. I also feel like sometimes I've made far too much, out of far too little.

Hey man, an "honest man's pillow is his peace of mind". You be cool, ssh. We'll see ya around.

John Cougar, from "Minutes to Memories":

Days turn to minutes
And minutes to memories
Life sweeps away the dreams
That we have planned
You are young and you are the future
So suck it up and tough it out
And be the best you can
The rain hit the old dog in the twilight's last gleaming
He said son it sounds like rattling old bones
This highway is long but I know some that are longer
By sunup tomorrow I guess I'll be home
Through the hills of Kentucky 'cross the Ohio River
The old man kept talking 'bout his life and his times
He fell asleep with his head against the window
He said an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind
This world offers riches and riches will grow wings
I don't take stock in those uncertain things

CHORUS
The old man had a vision but it was hard for me to follow
I do things my way and I pay a high price
When I think back on the old man and the bus ride
Now that I'm older I can see he was right
Another hot one out on Highway Eleven
This is my life, it's what I've chosen to do
There are no free rides, no one said it'd be easy
The old man told me this, my son, I'm telling it to you
Heyoka

Postby Rusty Guy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:45 am

Heyoka,

This will more than likely be my first and last post at this site. I was so moved by your gesture that i took the time to register.

Knowing SSH i imagine what you just wrote will make you two friends for life!

P.S. Congrats on the new arrival!
Rusty Guy

Thank you!

Postby ssh » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Heyoka, thank you. It was kind of you to take the time to post that. Perhaps we will, at some point, have an opportunity to meet and ski together. For me, it's all about the mountains, the snow, the people, and the smiles. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I wish you the best...
...addicted, passionate skier just seeking truth...and more fun on snow, of course!
ssh

Postby doublediamond223 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Rewriting history to hide the ugly parts, eh? If only real life were that easy.
doublediamond223

history?

Postby midwif » Wed May 03, 2006 2:55 pm

SSH is not banned.
midwif

Return to Social Chatting