Note from the field on 3-18-04

PMTS Forum

Note from the field on 3-18-04

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:21 am

I'm out making turnz yesterday at the Beav. From a ski instructor teaching a green/blue.

"Push off the downhill foot...now wedge...now stand on the uphill foot...and turn!"

I about lost it. I almost fell off the chair, I was so Gawd Dang mad.

Then, I see another instructor, leading a group down the hill in a wedge. I commented to the other people on the chair that "...he might as well have been a nazi, leading Jews to the gas chamber." Because teaching the wedge is like sending skiers to Auschwitz.

Both instructors were young and good looking -- and had nice hair, however. :wink:

What's the worst product you can buy at a ski area? A ski lesson. Unbelievable, how bad that product is. Harald has been way too easy, on ski instructors and this joke of a product they call a ski lesson. What a bunch of hooey.

Skiing is it's own worst enemy.
-- SCSA

Postby Ott Gangl » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:44 pm

Now now, SCSA, take your pills. :wink:

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:21 pm

your reference to the atrocities of the past are obscene and offensive.

Postby Mister T » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:37 am

SCSA, I must say that I also found your comparison of skiing to sad events from WWII not appropriate. Let's keep things in their right places.
Otherwise, you may convey the wrong impression and damage the
image of PMTS as a whole. If you were a Jew, would you rather be taught how to ski using the wedge or be taken to Auschwitz? I think we all know your answer.
Mister T

Now be nice to the PSIA

Postby John Mason » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:25 pm

It's a big tent you know. I bet those instructors could teach PMTS with no problem with their management. After all, there are lots of PSIA instructors that are also PMTS certified. In fact, some PSIA instructors just integrate PMTS methods into their instruction without being PMTS certified.

I met one at Winterpark this weekend. Did perfect phantom move turns down the hill.

I think HH is right, this is going to be ground up not top down.
John Mason

Postby -- SCSA » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:22 pm

After I had posted, I thought that the reference might be over the top. But the forum doesn't let one edit the post or delete it.

But please. Don't anyone get the wrong idea, or all worked up. We're trying to keep things calm here and there's no reason to make a big deal out of this or go overboard.

Guest brought it up and I offer an explanation which I hope will be accepted here. I doubt I'll ever use a similar reference again, here or anywhere else.

Now that the forum is gaining some mo, I guess a moderator is needed?
-- SCSA

Yes you can

Postby John Mason » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:50 pm

SCSA - you can edit your posts - if you login first and don't post as a guest. You are still posting as a guest.

When is the PMTS party at A-basin? Is that going to happen? Was it May 1st ish?
John Mason

Postby HH » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:25 pm

Sorry, I have not loged in properly, but it is me J. An A-BAsin PMTS party would be great! Can I come? Harrison will be out that week, he's love to meet all of the PMTS skiers, as he is the first true PMTS product, from the ground up. Diana as well, but she gets more coaching.
HH

Postby Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:12 pm

In light of the inane post above as I said in another thread, the time has arrived :

"What is also needed here is a strong but fair moderator, moderation of these sites will spell either the success of failure of the forums, the moderator should also be seperate from the owner/admin as well."
Hunter

Gosh - now you can't edit and fix your spelling

Postby John Mason » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:13 pm

The next day - Sunday - he was right back into the wedge. I yelled at him (loudly - "what are you doing - why are you doing that?") He looked dumbfounded and said he didn't know. I told him his body just fogot. The rest of the day - literally the rest of the day - he never wedged. His wife was amazed. She was pretty dumbfounded that he was already a parallel skier. Even on catwalks he just side slipped to control his speed.

Now hopefully with a good boot alignment he can work on the next phase.

And - that alignment on me was perfection! The practice was much easier.

So - party - what dates will everyone be around? Start a new post and lets do something. Are you saying May 1st is a good date?
John Mason

Sorry Hunter - not that inane

Postby John Mason » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:17 pm

it's a continuing conversation some of which was off forum - so it may seem inane but it wasn't - just ignore and focus on the party!

Beach party at A-basin (with some turns of course) - Hunter, your not that far away (compared to me) lets go skiing!
John Mason

Postby hh » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:24 pm

Didn't hear from Ken.
hh

Re: Sorry Hunter - not that inane

Postby Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:09 pm

John Mason wrote:it's a continuing conversation some of which was off forum - so it may seem inane but it wasn't - just ignore and focus on the party!

Beach party at A-basin (with some turns of course) - Hunter, your not that far away (compared to me) lets go skiing!

John, I was refering to this gem :

"Then, I see another instructor, leading a group down the hill in a wedge. I commented to the other people on the chair that "...he might as well have been a nazi, leading Jews to the gas chamber." Because teaching the wedge is like sending skiers to Auschwitz. "
Hunter

yes

Postby John Mason » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:14 pm

that was WAY over the top
John Mason

Postby -- SCSA » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:10 am

I can't login, that's the problem!

Everytime I try to login, I get an error, something about the username is already taken. :?

We use dotnetbb at our place, it's really great. It uses SQL tables. I think once the forum gets some more momentum, we'll have a moderator that can fix things like this.

Once again, sorry about the lousy reference.
-- SCSA

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System