How's Colorado skiing so far?

Friends get together

How's Colorado skiing so far?

Postby midwif » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:27 pm

East Coaster wanting to know how conditions are so far.
Might be tempted to jump on a plane for a 3-4 day trip if conditions are reasonably good.
It doesn't seem that fully opened resorts with plenty of snow are occurring much in December anymore. :(
midwif

Re: How's Colorado skiing so far?

Postby jbotti » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Someone who lives in Summit county can tell you more. From Harald, I know that A basin has been pretty good (for early season conditions). Having said that temps in Denver and Summit county have been quite warm for this time of year. I am headed out to Beaver Creek on Thursday morning to stay the weekend and see the races. They almost didn't happen as BC is at 8000 ft. instead on a base of 10,500 at A basin and Loveland. Temps at 8000 are supposed to be mid 40s even touching low 50s this coming week. I can't imagine the conditions will be even close to good, but they will pull off 4 races (they just moved the cancelled downhill at Lake Louise to BC).

If you are planning a trip I would focus on the resorts with higher elevation (A basin, Loveland, Copper and Keystone).

Again someone who is skiing there regularly can tell you more.

Its been pretty darn warm everywhere. Montana has had some snow but temps this week will be mid 30s which is very warm for early December there. In Marin County CA, where I live, we hit 72F today. Where is winter?
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby GregM » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:58 pm

This year I am not going to A-Basin -- had a season pass last year to get protection in case Vail reservation system would not work out, but ended up using it only 4 times in the very late season.
The snow conditions in Keystone are quite good and they opened quite a bit of the front side terrain, I think it is OK for early season and the weather we had so far.
GregM

Postby midwif » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Thx for replies.
I used to always schedule an early December trip in Summit county, but stopped 3-4 yrs ago as the conditions just didn't seem to warrant it anymore.
Hopefully, the January/February trip will be snowful!
Heading in your direction, J Botti, in February.
Attending a conference in Big Sky. Hoping for decent snow!
midwif

Postby thatguy_onthehill » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:41 pm

Copper and A Basin for the past two weeks:
AB: thin and scratchy
CP: rock hard with crowds that I've only seen in WM movies.
High point was meeting the HHS crew.
They need snow.
thatguy_onthehill

Postby tigernbr » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:29 am

The forecast next week looks promising for snow. Fingers crossed.
tigernbr

Postby GregM » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:22 pm

Keystone -- surprisingly good snow conditions, not even icy as Keystone usually gets. Opened runs on front side: Scoolmarm, Playmaster, Spring Dipper, lower River Run.
I skied Wednesday and Thursday, not crowded at all.
GregM

Return to Social Chatting