New to the Forum - Quick Intro and a Question

Friends get together

New to the Forum - Quick Intro and a Question

Postby Kaemmar » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Long time skier, first time poster here… new to PMTS. Didn’t get enough snow time in 20-21, so until beach weather arrives, I’m still focused on skiing.

With the overwhelming amount of skiing theories and videos on YouTube, I only recognized PMTS as the way I want to ski after my season was already over this year.

Since then I’ve read ACBES 1 & 2, Essentials, and the Alignment Handbook to get a better understanding of alignment. (I live in CT and my wife does not ski, so I unfortunately don’t expect to be visiting Dumont anytime soon.)

My only formal ski instruction was a week at the Stratton Mountain Ski School in 1978, run by Emo Henrich. At the time, the prevailing mantra was “down and steer.” At the very least I was taught that up-unweighting, or extension = bad.

Anyway, I’ve analyzed and modified my alignment to the best of my ability, and have begun performing the dryland slantboard training drills, along with a lot of visualization exercises. I’m seriously looking forward to 21-22.

Here’s a question that I’ve pondered for some time, even before I learned about PMTS: Since the vast majority of recreational skiers never learn to tip their skis, what training has been used to teach racers to achieve high angles, CB, CA, and inside leg flexion? Even if the racer is not performing PMTS movements per se, there is still a huge skill gap between them and the average recreational skier.
Kaemmar

Re: New to the Forum - Quick Intro and a Question

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:09 am

Kaemmar wrote:Here’s a question that I’ve pondered for some time, even before I learned about PMTS: Since the vast majority of recreational skiers never learn to tip their skis, what training has been used to teach racers to achieve high angles, CB, CA, and inside leg flexion? Even if the racer is not performing PMTS movements per se, there is still a huge skill gap between them and the average recreational skier.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to PMTS. As a skier who came to PMTS as a club-level racer and strong skier I have some experience in this arena. The thing that separates racers apart from recitational skiers is their affinity for putting their skis on edge, standing against that edge and using it to gain speed. The two also approach skiing differently... the recreational skier approaches skiing as an activity or a past time... the ski racer approaches skiing as an athlete participating in a sport. This is not to say that racers automatically have developed tipping, flexing, CA or CB... But, the one thing they do understand is that a ski is meant to be on edge and an edged ski is faster and more stable. Combined with the athleticism, this immediately sets racers apart from the rest of the skiing population in terms of speed, power and turn shape. Now, when that racer is taught proper [PMTS] fundamentals, then we start to observe something really special as the power and athleticism merge with functional technical understanding. That skier will transcend what the normal 'untrained' racer is capable of and when compared side-by-side, the untrained racer will look like a hack. The convergence of an athlete with a proper technical foundation is an impressive spectacle to watch unfold.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: New to the Forum - Quick Intro and a Question

Postby Kaemmar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks for your explanation and the welcome, Heluva...
Kaemmar

Return to Social Chatting